EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Pulse and Glide (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/pulse-glide-3326.html)

EP3 06-24-2008 11:45 PM

Pulse and Glide

Well I tried this and on the glide I cutoff the engine too on a long striaght strip. I am not worried so much about the cutoff b/c my car has EPS and the brakes showed no sign that I could not stop fast enough. My issue is only with the restart. I pop the clutch and it starts. This can not be good for my or any car. I know if your battery is dead you can push start a manual. But I always heard it is bad on the starter. Any thoughts?

dwendt1978 06-25-2008 08:30 AM

You don't "pop" the clutch at all!! You just slowly let it out.

For example in my car, if I'm rolling at 35 mph, I put it in 5th gear and slowly let out the clutch and you can't even feel it start.

At 25 mph, same gear but then after restart I drop into 4th to get back upto speed.

This process should be soooooo smooth that if there was a passenger they wouldn't know what you were doing unless they seen it.

dwendt1978 06-25-2008 08:30 AM

P.S.
You completely bypass the starter doing this.

NoCO2 06-25-2008 08:46 AM

Yea, if you any popping, it's going to break something eventually...

You should be letting out the clutch slowly until you can find that exact point where the clutch is in just far enough to let the wheels scrub the engine and get it spinning. Once you can do it consistently, you can start to go faster if you would like (less wear on the clutch?) but you just have to remember where the clutch needs to be and not go further than that. It should be neither violent or rough, if done properly, like dwendt1978 said, you shouldn't even be able to feel it start.

rocket 06-25-2008 08:50 AM

how could it be bad on the starter? the starter doesn't even know the engine was shut off or started!

NoCO2 06-25-2008 08:53 AM

The only time P&G could ever be bad for the starter is if you were turning the ignition and trying to pump start at the same time, it would be the equivalent to trying to turn the engine over with the starter when then engine is already running. If you aren't specifically telling your car, via turning the key all the way over like you would to start it, then the electromagnets in the motor for the starter are not activated and the spindle inside the starter motor just spins like it always does when the engine is running.

rocket 06-25-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoCO2 (Post 38207)
The only time P&G could ever be bad for the starter is if you were turning the ignition and trying to pump start at the same time, it would be the equivalent to trying to turn the engine over with the starter when then engine is already running. If you aren't specifically telling your car, via turning the key all the way over like you would to start it, then the electromagnets in the motor for the starter are not activated and the spindle inside the starter motor just spins like it always does when the engine is running.

most starters are not engaged when they are not being used (i've never actually seen one that was continuously engaged w/ flywheel/flexplate). When the starter is engaged, the gear extends to meet the flywheel/flexplate. If there are cars that don't do it that way, i'm curious to know!

ebacherville 06-25-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocket (Post 38210)
most starters are not engaged when they are not being used (i've never actually seen one that was continuously engaged w/ flywheel/flexplate). When the starter is engaged, the gear extends to meet the flywheel/flexplate. If there are cars that don't do it that way, i'm curious to know!

Well hybrid cars the electric drive motor is the starter too... so technicaly.. lol

Twerp 06-25-2008 09:22 AM

You're prolly thinking of the cat... All of my owners manuals have said not to pop start the vehicle because it can do serious damage to the cat. They don't mention anything about the starter.

Daox 06-25-2008 09:36 AM

I'd look here:

How to smoothly bump start / clutch start an engine