EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Question for you guys that have removed power steering (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/question-you-guys-have-removed-power-steering-9921.html)

IsaacCarlson 08-31-2009 11:28 PM

Question for you guys that have removed power steering

is it any easier to turn the wheels after you unhook the lines as opposed to before, when the engine isn't running? What i mean is do you have to fight the pump before, vs not after? if it is the same i had better keep ps.

Christ 08-31-2009 11:37 PM

I removed the PS on both my Civic's, all my CRX's and several of my trucks. I really don't like PS, honestly, except in extremely heavy vehicles, it's nice.

I never really noticed that it was any harder to turn the wheel after the removal than it was while sitting w/ the engine off before removing the pump.

I also never crossed the PS lines, I just drained the fluid from the rack and put caps on the nipples that the lines attach to on the rack. PS racks aren't lubricated by PS fluid, they're driven by it.

RH77 09-01-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 125118)
I removed the PS on both my Civic's, all my CRX's and several of my trucks. I really don't like PS, honestly, except in extremely heavy vehicles, it's nice.

I never really noticed that it was any harder to turn the wheel after the removal than it was while sitting w/ the engine off before removing the pump.

I also never crossed the PS lines, I just drained the fluid from the rack and put caps on the nipples that the lines attach to on the rack. PS racks aren't lubricated by PS fluid, they're driven by it.

Any adverse effects on either vehicle with the removal of the pump? Accelerated wear?

RH77

Christ 09-01-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 125351)
Any adverse effects on either vehicle with the removal of the pump? Accelerated wear?

RH77

I can't answer that with anything but opinion. I didn't drive/own them long enough, but based on the number of people I've seen do it for years and having driven some of those cars as well, I'd have to say no. (In my opinion.)

I can say that I'd rather have a manual rack to begin with, because of the (usually) shorter rack ratio.

My dad's 198? Ford Bronco II also never had PS fluid in it, and thus, had power steering w/o power assist. It only really sucked on cold days when stopped or moving very slowly, and even then, it was just like steering a tractor at speed... not really all that bad.

IsaacCarlson 09-01-2009 11:42 PM

the only reason i sak is because...

my car weighs 4,000 LBS with me in it and the wheels are almost impossible to turn with engine off and not moving. I was wondering if i am fighting the pump at all or if maybe its just telling me to leave ps in.....:confused:

Christ 09-01-2009 11:44 PM

You're not fighting the pump, you're fighting the fluid movement.

Best way to test would be to drain the fluid, then reconnect the hoses. You're probably still going to have a difficult time with it, though. Fluid doesn't make up that much of the difference.

IsaacCarlson 09-01-2009 11:46 PM

so i might as well leave it in?

my wife does drive it sometimes...

Christ 09-01-2009 11:46 PM

Unless your wife is Beth Phoenix, forget it.

If you wanted to mod it so that you don't have to have the PS pump running all the time, you can use a clutched pulley that only activates when powered, like the pulley on an A/C pump. This comes with it's own obvious problems, though.

IsaacCarlson 09-01-2009 11:48 PM

guess i'll just have to make it up elsewhere...

can i even get a manual rack for a 1996 olds 88????

IsaacCarlson 09-01-2009 11:51 PM

the owners manual says it has magnasteer, is that variable assist?

or is it constant flow/pressure