Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

VW GOLF - '96 Volkwagen Golf MK3 GL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 50.21 mpg (US)

Commute scoot - '95 Suzuki AE50 Style
Last 3: 70.4 mpg (US)

The German - '99 Mercedes W202 C200 Classic
90 day: 27.65 mpg (US)
Calculating EPA for "Europe Only" Models

Hi there modders,

I want to complete my garage listing, however, my new car (a facelift Mercedes C-Class - W202 C200) is not represented in the EPA listing.

This is because the 2.0 variant of the M111 engine didn't make it to the USA. Neither did cars powered by the smaller 1.8 unit.

Now, in Europe, a 2.0 litre engine is regarded as a pretty big monster, but that was not enough for you guys over the pond. So, in true USA style, the C Class range started with the C220 model, which used a 2.2 litre unit in pre-facelift times (early to mid-90's).

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/12753.shtml

And after it's mid-life facelift, the USA model of the C Class got an even bigger engine, a 2.3, which still was not enough for America, because they soon supercharged it to add another 40hp

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/15815.shtml

Also, for even more USA vs Europe shenanigans, I must point out that both models have this curious spec listing "Gas Guzzler no". Now in Europe my 20mpg (US) 2.0 litre car is, for sure, a gas guzzler - and it must be true in the states also?

I recently did a road-trip of the southern states in an entirely agreeable, bog standard hire car (Hyundai Elantra), which seemed to have a big engine, and an auto box, but still returned an average trip mpg in the 40's (US) following town driving and highways at 70mph on the cruise.

So compared to that, my European Mercedes defo guzzles gas... And here it costs $92 to fill up...

Anyway... lets forget all the EU / USA tomatoes tomatos joking and get back to my original question... how do I work out the likely EPA rating for my car? Work backwards from the EU figures, or should I just "adopt" the EPA rating of the its larger-engined siblings - which I think would be cheating!

Will you recoup money spent on mods in fuel saved? see my spreadsheets here
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread