EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   A quiz for people (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/quiz-people-38568.html)

JulianEdgar 09-04-2020 11:37 PM

A quiz for people

So here's a good example of a really low drag vehicle - incredibly well streamlined with a Cd of 0.101 - yes, 0.101.

https://sunwindsolar.com/wp-content/...1/SOLARCAR.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/4055/4...425ea6dc_b.jpg

It's the 1996 Honda Dream solar race car.

Now, who wants to guess whether, overall and at zero yaw, it has:

(1) Downforce
(2) Neither lift nor downforce
(3) A small amount of lift
(4) A lot of lift

Just putting down the number that corresponds with your guess would be good.

California98Civic 09-04-2020 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulianEdgar (Post 630619)
... Just putting down the number that corresponds with your guess would be good.

;)

redpoint5 09-04-2020 11:50 PM

3, though the question is subjective.

Wondering why the wheel cowlings weren't combined?

jakobnev 09-05-2020 01:21 AM

oil pan 4 09-05-2020 02:36 AM

Pi

JulianEdgar 09-05-2020 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 630624)
Pi

I'll take that as #3!

jimhs 09-05-2020 04:35 AM

Vman455 09-05-2020 10:42 AM

I won't guess since I just downloaded and read the paper, but I will say: not what I expected.

GreenTDI 09-05-2020 11:20 AM

It looks like a wing, so I would say 3.
If the part under the car (between those wheels) is flat, straight and not curved, I would say 4.

freebeard 09-05-2020 04:04 PM

Not an informed guess but if I was piloting that through the Oz-tralian Outback, I'd want downforce, just in case. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5
Wondering why the wheel cowlings weren't combined?

Zero yaw is a momentary condition.

FYI: EcoModder has a polling function.

JulianEdgar 09-05-2020 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 630648)
Not an informed guess but if I was piloting that through the Oz-tralian Outback, I'd want downforce, just in case. :eek:

Zero yaw is a momentary condition.

FYI: EcoModder has a polling function.

So that's a (1)?

freebeard 09-05-2020 06:23 PM

Must I say it? Would that make me right?

I vote for
Quote:

New Thread: Post a Poll
Yes, post a poll with this thread
Number of poll options: 4 (Maximum: 10)

ksa8907 09-05-2020 08:49 PM

1 or 2?

JulianEdgar 09-07-2020 04:48 AM

No other entries? I'll give it a few more days.

jakobnev 09-07-2020 05:19 AM

Quote:

I'll give it a few more days.
Whenever you post the answer I'll just edit my guess.

JulianEdgar 09-07-2020 05:29 AM

Summary so far (no edits)!

(1) Downforce
(4) A lot of lift

California98Civic - 5 (I assume therefore 4)

Redpoint5 - 3

Jakobnev - 3.5

Oil pan 4 - 3

Jimhs - 4

Green TDI - 3-4

Freebeard - 1

Ksa8907 - 1-2

GreenTDI 09-07-2020 09:29 AM

Can we see a picture of the underside? Or is that irrelevant?
My guess is that it will take off at highway speed :D

freebeard 09-07-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

No other entries? I'll give it a few more days.
Thank goodness for email notifications. I will have forgotten by then.

Stubby79 09-07-2020 03:41 PM

1 or 2, bu if I had to pick...2

Stubby79 09-07-2020 04:00 PM

To expand on my guess, without editing my post...

I would assume that downforce would work out to mean more rolling resistance, as the vehicle would behave as if it's heavier the faster you go...

Therefore neutral would be better for FE, presumably. And no loss of traction at speed. Of course, if it only weights 50lbs, you might want downforce at speed to keep you grounded. Bad things might happen when you catch air, though...

If it's heavy, they might have designed it for a bit of lift, to reduce RR the faster it goes.

Too much lift sounds like a bad idea in general.

Of course, if it only goes 30km/hr, lift and the Cd are both pretty moot points...

YMMV.

JulianEdgar 09-07-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenTDI (Post 630704)

I haven't been able to find a pic but I assume it's fairly flat.

JulianEdgar 09-07-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubby79 (Post 630729)
To expand on my guess, without editing my post...

I would assume that downforce would work out to mean more rolling resistance, as the vehicle would behave as if it's heavier the faster you go...

Therefore neutral would be better for FE, presumably. And no loss of traction at speed. Of course, if it only weights 50lbs, you might want downforce at speed to keep you grounded. Bad things might happen when you catch air, though...

If it's heavy, they might have designed it for a bit of lift, to reduce RR the faster it goes.

Too much lift sounds like a bad idea in general.

Of course, if it only goes 30km/hr, lift and the Cd are both pretty moot points...

YMMV.

Car had calculated 160 km/h (~100 mph) top speed and averaged 89.76 km/h (55.77 mph) in the actual race.

Fat Charlie 09-07-2020 06:22 PM

Without seeing the underbody, I'd assume 1: Downforce.

Vman455 09-07-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

It has a slightly concave underside:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-v...onda-dream.jpg

Fat Charlie 09-08-2020 06:18 AM

It looks like they didn't do anything to increase downforce, but I'd expect some.

RedDevil 09-08-2020 06:33 AM

The wheel covers create a tunnel under the car so anything is possible. I'll say 2 - neutral just to have a vote.

I would expect the area around the canopy and the canopy itself to produce lift, but that would be compensated slightly on the front and the long tail. The underbody should provide downforce.

JulianEdgar 09-08-2020 06:02 PM

So final guesses are:

(1) Downforce
(4) A lot of lift

California98Civic - 5 (I assume therefore 4)

Redpoint5 - 3

Jakobnev - 3.5

Oil pan 4 - 3

Jimhs - 4

Green TDI - 3-4

Freebeard - 1

Ksa8907 - 1-2

Stubby79 - 1-2

Fat Charlie - 1

RedDevil - 2

Average score - 2.5, so somewhere between 'neither lift nor downforce' to 'a small amount of lift'.

JulianEdgar 09-08-2020 06:27 PM

Here is the first part of the answer:

https://i.postimg.cc/XJw5dJHN/Honda-...t-zero-yaw.png

The line with red boxes shows overall lift coefficient (CL). It's at around 0.05 (low lift) until about 100 km/h, whereupon it starts to rise, reaching about 0.16 at 140 km/h. That's a fair bit of lift.

The line with yellow diamonds show front lift coefficient (CLf). It is about 0.13 (a fair amount of lift) until 100 km/h, and then rises to 0.25 at 140 km/h. That is a lot of lift.

The line with the black diamonds shows the rear coefficient of lift (CLr) having small/medium downforce (about -0.09) at all speeds.

The amount of aero lift the car experienced in zero yaw was enough to increase the height of the front of the car, causing the further worsening of the front lift values. Note: this was not desired by Honda - they said: "Future research and development will be required to refine the suspension and/or front lift coefficient in order to further increase the cruising speed."

So overall, this most streamlined of cars has, at zero yaw, quite a lot of lift. As Honda said: "The overall body shape was designed like the cross section of an airplane wing, resulting in a large CLf (front lift coefficient). The front part of the body would therefore receive more upward force at a higher speed."

Interesting, and the story actually gets considerably worse in crosswinds (next post).

JulianEdgar 09-08-2020 06:40 PM

Here is the second part of the answer:

https://i.postimg.cc/2Sk3XGHD/Honda-...t-with-yaw.png

So what happens when there is a yaw (crosswind) component to the airflow? Not good things!

The CLf (yellow diamonds) doesn't change much - in fact, it actually improves (gets lower).

But the CLr (black diamonds) increases massively, going positive (into lift) at only about 4-5 degrees of yaw, and then reaching a stunning 0.53 at 15 degrees of yaw. That's the highest CLr I've ever seen.

As a result of that, the overall CL (red squares) goes to well over 0.6(!!) at 15 degrees yaw.

Frontal area of the car was 0.999 square metres and mass was 330kg - I'll let someone else do the maths for the effective weight of the car at 60 km/h - let alone at 15 degrees of yaw and 140 km/h (obviously, in those conditions the car would have been impossible to drive).

So, next time you read someone saying confidently that, well of course, streamlined cars have low lift, you can say: "You're dreaming!".

JulianEdgar 09-08-2020 06:48 PM

And if you're wondering at the incredible amount of rear lift with yawed airflow, look at the shape presented to the partly sideways airflow by the rear half of the car:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4055/4...425ea6dc_b.jpg

A huge area for the airflow to wrap around that upper curve, while lateral undercar airflow is largely blocked.

JulianEdgar 09-08-2020 07:10 PM

And finally, for people who like the idea of 'ultimate low drag shapes':

https://i.postimg.cc/d3JmHdpS/Different-shapes.png

Note: the final column is not Cd but instead CdA. However, as you can see, the nominated frontal areas are all pretty close to 1 square metre so in turn you can read these as close to the Cd.

These drag values are much lower than the oft-quoted 'ultimate shapes' of the 1930s (and so also of course to any 'template' shape derived from those old shapes).

California98Civic 09-08-2020 07:15 PM

Very interesting case, but your last line in post 29 does seem like a straw man argument. Nobody is arguing that absolutely any road vehicle body that someone classifies as "streamlined" is of zero lift shape. "Properly streamlined" I am sure I have seen claimed, but "properly" is a big qualifier. Seems to me Honda probably knew this shape created lift and that they may have tuned this car for a little lift to reduce rolling resistance. A question I would have would be whether this lift is dangerous. I wonder what degree of lift under yaw will "lift" the car off the road. Were there race rules that would stop the race under certain wind conditions. I would think there might have been given the lighweight and wing like shape of solar racers.

I gotta add one edit: up to 100 kph, lift is pretty modest and the car ran at about 90 kph. And I definitely have not seen anyone argue that a streamlined body under yaw would produce no lift. It is an interesting study but it proves less than you seem to think.

JulianEdgar 09-08-2020 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 630786)
Very interesting case, but your last line in post 29 does seem like a straw man argument. Nobody is arguing that absolutely any road vehicle body that someone classifies as "streamlined" is of zero lift shape. "Properly streamlined" I am sure I have seen claimed, but "properly" is a big qualifier. Seems to me Honda probably knew this shape created lift and that they may have tuned this car for a little lift to reduce rolling resistance. A question I would have would be whether this lift is dangerous. I wonder what degree of lift under yaw will "lift" the car off the road. Were there race rules that would stop the race under certain wind conditions. I would think there might have been given the lighweight and wing like shape of solar racers.

I gotta add one edit: up to 100 kph, lift is pretty modest and the car ran at about 90 kph. And I definitely have not seen anyone argue that a streamlined body under yaw would produce no lift. It is an interesting study but it proves less than you seem to think.

1. It is good evidence that one of the slipperiest cars ever made (and so surely by any normal definition, the most streamlined) had a lot of lift. (Or are you suggesting this car is 'improperly' streamlined?!)

2. This idea that for lift to discombobulate the car it has to lift off the ground is complete rubbish, and I have never seen that argument used anywhere except here. Refer to SAE papers 1999-01-0651 and 2009-01-0004 to see how quite small amounts of lift can cause problems in car stability.

3. I'll repeat the quote from Honda: "Future research and development will be required to refine the suspension and/or front lift coefficient in order to further increase the cruising speed." To draw the obvious inference, the aero lift (and suspension softness) were limiting their cruising speed.

4. I don't know of any rules to stop the race in windy condition. As far as I know, the cars just went slower - with these figures, you can certainly see why.

5. If anyone has the measured coefficients of lift for any other really low drag cars, I am very interested.

Vman455 09-08-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 630786)

One of the qualifying runs was apparently a top-speed competition, for which the engineers lowered the nose in an attempt to "suppress CLF increase, in order to achieve the highest possible speed."

Regarding lift and stability, the engineers wrote:
Quote:

A solar car on the road has to run through natural wind and thus receives its disturbances. The '96 "Dream" was thought to be prone to crosswind disturbances because it was considered lightweight, at approximately 300 kg, with a relatively large body. Fig. 7 shows the crosswind sensibility of the '96 "Dream" measured in wind tunnel tests. It can be seen from the figure that increasing the yaw angle from 0º to 12º (corresponding to receiving side wind of 6 m/s from the lateral direction, while running at 100 km/h) reduces front and rear wheel load by approximately 2.1 and 21.4 kg, respectively. The reduction cannot be neglected because it translates into a 1.4% and 14.2% reduction in front and rear wheel load, respectively. Disturbances induced on vehicle behaviour by lift force resulting from crosswind, as well as other disturbances by side force and yaw moment, must be suppressed to a level low enough not to disturb vehicle driving.

GreenTDI 09-09-2020 03:37 AM

To quote myself:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenTDI (Post 630641)
It looks like a wing, so I would say 3.
If the part under the car (between those wheels) is flat, straight and not curved, I would even say 4.

Quote:

OK, did I win something? ;)

It's quite an interesting case.

JulianEdgar 09-09-2020 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenTDI (Post 630805)
To quote myself:

OK, did I win something? ;)

It's quite an interesting case.

No prizes... excepting for knowing you were right!

mort 09-09-2020 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulianEdgar (Post 630778)
Here is the first part of the answer:

https://i.postimg.cc/XJw5dJHN/Honda-...t-zero-yaw.png

Is there some explanation of how it can increase lift without increasing drag? Either they fudged the "graph" or it breaks the laws of physics.
-mort

AeroMcAeroFace 09-09-2020 05:44 AM

Increased angle of attack

"Is there some explanation of how it can increase lift without increasing drag? Either they fudged the "graph" or it breaks the laws of physics."

Maybe the lift causes the front to lift more than the back thereby increasing the angle of attack of the body shape. As the centre of lift is probably more towards the front than the back.

Correct me if I am wrong but that is what happens in many older cars.

JulianEdgar 09-09-2020 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mort (Post 630811)
Is there some explanation of how it can increase lift without increasing drag? Either they fudged the "graph" or it breaks the laws of physics.
-mort

Yes, that's an interesting question. You're talking about induced drag - ie drag caused by the lift?

Porsche's Taycan records its lowest drag in its highest lift configuration. (I did ask Dr Thomas Wolf of Porsche about that but he chose not to reply to that question.)

JulianEdgar 09-09-2020 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace (Post 630812)
"Is there some explanation of how it can increase lift without increasing drag? Either they fudged the "graph" or it breaks the laws of physics."

Maybe the lift causes the front to lift more than the back thereby increasing the angle of attack of the body shape. As the centre of lift is probably more towards the front than the back.

Correct me if I am wrong but that is what happens in many older cars.

With its CLf much greater than its CLr (at least at zero yaw) you'd certainly think the centre of pressure was well forward.

But I am not sure that answers Mort's question, does it?