Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

80 - '91 Toyota Land Cruiser
Hello from Costa Rica

Hi all!
I drive a 1991 Land Cruiser (80 series) turbo diesel 4x4.
Not exactly the poster-child of fuel efficiency, but I live in a rural town with gravel roads, mud, pot holes the size of a prius, and spend many of my days touring farms and remote locations. All of this in Costa Rica, where our best roads would still warrant "Hazardous Condition" signs in most of the USA.

So, within the confines of my vehicle choice, I'm interested in finding ways to minimize the fuel guzzling.

Going with the turbo diesel has me up 20-25mpg instead of the 13-15mpg that a similar gasser would get.

I'm planning to install an intercooler eventually, hoping that will improve mileage some, and perhaps propane injection at some future point to get cleaner burn, lower combustion temps, and another blip in economy... though I wonder how to figure propane-equivalents into the equation to see if there is true economy involved. How many kg of propane "equal" a liter of diesel?

Anyhow
I've got to prioritize offroad performance - can't operate on small, smooth tires, can't lower the truck, no good to build fairings that will be torn off by road conditions... but I'm hoping to find some tips/tricks to make the beast less of a burden.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

another thought: I spend the vast majority of my driving time at low speeds of under ~75kph. Probably mostly under 50kph. So I'm most interested in idea of how to improve low-speed mileage. ie: driving in 5th isn't going to cut it at 25mph for me, most of the time.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
PaleMelanesian's Disciple

City - '04 Honda City iDSI EXi
90 day: 47.47 mpg (US)
Hi Sandcruiser! Welcome to ecomodder!!

You're already going a neat job there with 20-25 MPG from your brute of a vehicle!

Nothing much about mods comes to mind reading the constraints you have. But one thing can certainly be adjusted - the 'nut behind the wheel' - this mod is considered to be worth the maximum savings with minimum effort. Have a look at the 100+ Hypermiling tips .

(Over)inflating tyres, using thinner oil, weight reduction are some points that can still be chased.

Get yourself a instantaneous mileage meter, modify your (already pretty clean) habits for further gains and enjoy a money saver hobby that can soon turn into an obsession!!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the welcome!

I drive pretty "lightly" as it is-- I burn about 20 gallons/month of fuel.

Without being too smug, I'm pretty proud of my habits... but like most on this board, I come looking for ways to tread ever more lightly.

Every time I walk past my bicycle to get into my car, I know that there is one *simple* way to burn more of my own energy and less hydrocarbon!

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
land cruiser