EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   rear bumper skirts (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/rear-bumper-skirts-23894.html)

deathcomesarippin 11-04-2012 04:26 PM

rear bumper skirts

Well I got bored today and the aero bu has bitten me good. I was thinking would anybody know of or has put on there car, skirts on the sides of the rear bumper after, right after the rear wheel wells? I would think it would help direct air out and around from going underneath the rear of the car.. which is a horrible spot for it to be going. I do have quite a bit of gardening edging left... if seems like a good idea, ill try it out!

Gealii 11-04-2012 04:32 PM

It tends to be done with full rear wheel skirts to keep the flow attached further along. This way it allows for a sharper edge at the rear of the vehicle which is better for aeroflow. Can also be used for a boat tail attachment later on

deathcomesarippin 11-04-2012 05:07 PM

I dont plan on a boat tail, I do plan on full wheel skirts later on. I think im going to put them on to see what they do, I dont think it could hurt my mpg? The only thing I can think of is the rear wheel wells dont make a complete half circle, they cut off half way down on he backside, maybe the skirts would block some air that's trying to escape?

Gealii 11-04-2012 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i drew this up real quick so your basically talking about the area behind the wheel well? I would just go get a sheet of coroplast and make 1 giant piece for it all.

deathcomesarippin 11-04-2012 05:29 PM

Thanks for that!!! Yeah thats what im talking about, I don't have coroplast yet. Im on a tight budget right now, im moving really soon. Thats a good idea, ill probably do that once I get some, except I hope coroplast is flexible because after the wheel well, the bumper starts to angle inwards. I might put the gardening edge on for now, see if it helps. Im going to be doing a few long drives on interstate at the end of this week.

Gealii 11-04-2012 06:31 PM

coroplast is basically a stronger version of cardboard. It'll bend to a point and beings its made of plastic can be molded using heat although it'll distort so you have to take your time with it.
What i like about coroplast is its pretty cheap. I get 4'x8' sheets of it for $13. I've heard where people get the same for $20 so look around.

deathcomesarippin 11-04-2012 07:20 PM

Alright, ill be looking around for some, thats not a bad price at all!

Gealii 11-04-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathcomesarippin (Post 337971)
Alright, ill be looking around for some, thats not a bad price at all!

better yet try election signs if its not to late
the plastic ones are made of the same material in fact coroplast is used to make most election signs,

deathcomesarippin 11-04-2012 09:35 PM

Yeah, I hope its not to late. That would be awesome, great idea! Now I just need to know where to get some...

Gealii 11-04-2012 09:47 PM

apart from election signs try googling "sign shops near (insert close bigger town here)"

if all else fails and you can't find any try home dept its smaller and a bit more expensive though. BTW coroplast is a nickname that most people go by but its true name is corrugated plastic