EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Reducing Road Noise? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/reducing-road-noise-4083.html)

Raysp30 07-26-2008 11:18 PM

Reducing Road Noise?

Anyone have some ideas on how to reduce road noise? My CRX is absolutely terrible on the highway.

I'm looking for a cheap way to cut down the noise. Any ideas welcome.

adrive7 07-26-2008 11:49 PM

dynamat everywhere.

Red 07-27-2008 12:38 AM

Spray in bed liner on the wheel wells works

Vince-HX 07-27-2008 12:53 AM

find a quieter tire, make sure all wheel bearings are in good condition

xbUser 07-27-2008 01:24 AM

Agree with changing a new set of tires. Check with reviews on tirerack.com. Yokohama AVZ and General Altimaz are all quiet tires I tired. It makes huge different from the stock original.
Also, drive slower. Statistic shows the noise on 60mph is much quieter than 80mph. Both wind noise, engine noise and road noise are much less. I tried that and it is true. I believe this is the cheapest, most notable and fastest way to quiet down your car on freeway.

justpassntime 07-27-2008 02:43 AM

You could use bedliner of some sort, sound deadening padding or dynamat. All of those require pulling the carpet out of the car with the exception of the bedliner. I used the cheap padding JC Whitney has under the carpet on my 73 Ranchero and used spray on bedliner in the bed. It worked really well.

Or you could do like people around here seem to do. Put a thumping stereo in your car and turn it up so loud it blows out all the bolts holding on the important stuff. Then one day when it coasts to a stop you'll wonder why it never gave you any warning.

Raysp30 07-27-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justpassntime (Post 48029)
You could use bedliner of some sort, sound deadening padding or dynamat. All of those require pulling the carpet out of the car with the exception of the bedliner. I used the cheap padding JC Whitney has under the carpet on my 73 Ranchero and used spray on bedliner in the bed. It worked really well.

Here's what I'm thinking. Tear off all the carpet, at least in the back under the hatch and put some of the carpet padding under everything.

For the wheel wells, I'm thinking I could spray some insulation foam in there. It wouldn't give me access to some of the wiring, but I figure if the electrical wires have lasted 20 years, they should be fine for another 10.

That seems like the cheapest way to do it. $25 for carpet padding and maybe $5 for insulation foam.

basjoos 07-27-2008 02:40 PM

Install underbody panelling. A lot of "road noise" is actually noise created by the wind turbulence underneath the vehicle.

bhazard 07-27-2008 03:01 PM

I know I do want to do something about the noise in my festiva. Its rediculous in there going down the road. I also have some noise coming from the back end, like wheel bearings (which I JUST replaced) or flatspotted tires maybe.

Raysp30 07-27-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basjoos (Post 48141)
Install underbody panelling. A lot of "road noise" is actually noise created by the wind turbulence underneath the vehicle.

My underbody is surprisingly smooth. The only spot that air really gets stuck is when it hits the muffler, which sits about 2-3 inches lower than everything else. I'm thinking...other Honda CRXers can correct me, that this is because I don't have a stock muffler on my car.

I headed out to Menards a couple hours ago and bought $25 worth of 1/2" carpet padding (I wasn't about to pay the prices for padding meant specifically for cars). So far, I've finished installing it on the entire back half of the car. I also sprayed 2 cans of insulating foam ontop of each rear wheel well. Once I get the brakes fixed I'll be taking it for a drive.