EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Reducing the volume the AC/heater has to cool/heat (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/reducing-volume-ac-heater-has-cool-heat-16491.html)

euromodder 03-18-2011 09:42 AM

Reducing the volume the AC/heater has to cool/heat

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but here goes :

How about a lightweight screen mounted behind the front seats, extending from side to side, and bottom to ceiling, that reduces the car's internal volume of air the AC (or ventilation) has to cool, or that the heater has to heat ?

Such a screen could be made out of coroplast, with heat-reflective foil on either side ; or out of flat panel insulation (like styrofoam).

The vents in the rear of the car would have to be closed off (more silica gel socks ?).

A clear window could be built in for rearward vision.

Obviously, this would be most interesting for people who've already taken out their rear seats, or who don't have rear seats at all (Insight I, CR-Z, ...)

Has anyone tried or tought of this ?

Daox 03-18-2011 09:48 AM

I haven't heard of it being mentioned before. Its an interesting and IMO good idea. The only problem is implimenting it in a reasonable and usable manner.

Also, for hybrids its recommended you use your AC to cool the battery if the car has been sitting in the heat. Most battery failures come from overheating.

instarx 03-18-2011 10:03 AM

I did this years ago in my 240Z because the AC wasn't strong enough for the Florida sun. I made the entire thing out of one clear polycarbonate sheet. It worked great and I still had great rear and side-rear visibility.

gone-ot 03-18-2011 10:23 AM

...I did this on the wifes' 1987 Astro van: hung a clear (flexible) plastic sheet from an "adjustable clothes hanger" bar behind the front seats = A/C only had to cool the front two seats area, not the whole van.

...benefits? (1) A/C cooled the wife down much, much faster; and (2) A/C didn't "run" as long, with fewer 'cyclings,' which helped the FE (which was terrible).

euromodder 03-18-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 226160)
I haven't heard of it being mentioned before. Its an interesting and IMO good idea. The only problem is implimenting it in a reasonable and usable manner.

Lets see ...

If there are no rear seats, it should be easy.

If it needs to be removable, put velcro on the B pillar and on the coroplast screen.
The coroplast screen could be made to fold so it can be removed and stowed when passengers are carried.

dcb 03-18-2011 12:41 PM

cooling seats (or shirts) may offer even more efficiency
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ats-13936.html

FastPlastic 03-18-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 226167)
"A/C cooled the wife down much, much faster;

So the best place to have a heated argument is in the Astro van? :D

Thymeclock 03-18-2011 10:10 PM

I did something similar on a convertible I used to own. It was an 89 Celica and behind the rear seat there was only a piece of vinyl material to close off the area. Otherwise it was just a wide open space between the rear seat and the trunk. I cut a piece of masonite to the exact size to fit and painted it black making it a shelf under the rear window. That blocked most of the air space thus separating the trunk, and it helped retain heat in the passenger cabin in winter.

During summer the top was usually down so it wasn't needed then. I just had to remember to remove it in spring before attempting to put the top down.

JasonG 03-18-2011 10:46 PM

In our work vans we hang blankets or radiant barrier on the safety rack.
It keeps them much more temperate and quieter.

henticules 03-27-2011 12:47 PM

that's a great idea. I have a tendancy to fall asleep in my car after work anyways and this sounds like a cheap easy way to reduce the heat/cool volume of the vehicle.

a cheap and very effective way to test this out could be to go to the sport/hunting section of your local megastore and by a thermal emergency blanket. it is a thin sheet of silver mylar that is used to keep you from freezing to death in cold weather. paramedical also use them on hypothermia victims to hold in body heat because they are like 95% +/- at reflecting heat (think all the shiny stuff on the sides of the lunar lander or satellites.