EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Forum News & Feedback (https://ecomodder.com/forum/forum-news-feedback.html)
-   -   Reminder: EcoModder.com temporary outage tonight, March 6th ... *Move Completed* (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/reminder-ecomodder-com-temporary-outage-tonight-march-6th-1246.html)

MetroMPG 03-02-2008 06:18 PM

Reminder: EcoModder.com temporary outage tonight, March 6th ... *Move Completed*

================================
EDIT: Friday, March 7, 12:45 EST

Move was successful. 40 minutes. :)

================================

Just an FYI:

The site is moving to a brand new dedicated server this week - Thursday night (at midnight Eastern time).

The switch will likely cause the forum to be unreachable for a short period (hopefully no more than an hour or two).

This is a proactive, and probably our final move. While organizing the new box, we've been intentionally holding back on generating publicity for some of the hotter forum threads and blog posts since the Great ForkenSwift Digg Event of 2008 (TM) that brought the server to its knees last time.

I was actually cringing with fear that the news.com and edmunds.com articles about the forum would be problematic; fortunately, they didn't cause any traffic woes. (No, not really "fortunately." We would have loved to have been able to take advantage of that publicity to flog the site all over the intertube.)

Anyhoo, as moving day approaches, I'll post back to confirm.

TomO 03-02-2008 09:52 PM

Woot! I heard dedicated server in that message, huzzah huzzah!

bennelson 03-02-2008 11:06 PM

How much traffic did that Edmunds.com article generate? I was really hoping we'd get some major hits off that one.

Gone4 03-02-2008 11:09 PM

So we can try to digg ecomodder into oblivion again after the move? :D

MetroMPG 03-03-2008 12:53 PM

Yes! After the move, we can get Diggin' again.

Ben: to be honest, the edmunds article less than I was expecting. I didn't count inbound referrals, but you can't pick out a significant boost in the stats that day.

MetroMPG 03-04-2008 10:48 PM

Talked to the new company guy today.

The plan is to make the switch to the new box tomorrow evening, Wednesday, March 5th.

Expect about half an hour of downtime.

If you find you can't access the site within that amount of time... chill for a bit longer, and when your patience completely runs out and you start to get jittery from lack of EM, you can e-mail me directly. darin aaaaaaaaat metrompg dot com.

Also, I found after the last switch that my router retained the "old" server address long after it had been changed and I was only able to get to the new one after resetting it. Just a thought.

H4MM3R 03-05-2008 06:24 PM

Good luck with the move.

MetroMPG 03-05-2008 07:11 PM

Thanks.

It's delayed 24h though. It'll happen tomorrow night - Thursday - not today.

brucepick 03-05-2008 09:57 PM

Very cool.
Good luck with the move!

H4MM3R 03-06-2008 06:52 PM

How did the move go?