EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   removing the air box set up and just running a cone air filter off the manifold (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/removing-air-box-set-up-just-running-cone-35074.html)

johnathanf1lm 04-15-2017 08:23 AM

removing the air box set up and just running a cone air filter off the manifold

i was considering removing the air intake system and just running a filter off of the intake manifold. Reasons: weight reduction of the whole set up and i have a map so no oil issues. And it would basically act as a wai since it would be right there basically on the side of the engine. Issues air intake tempature: what is good and what is bad. Wai temps get too hot ill lose timing advance and such. And lack of power (dont use it at all but dont want to lose some if i lose mpg.

oil pan 4 04-15-2017 09:01 AM

It may get too hot in some places but not in PA.
Just make sure the intake air isn't used to cool the computer.

ksa8907 04-15-2017 11:22 AM

In my old car i removed the air filter box and put a cone filter on the end. It worked very well, one thing i will warn you about is if you are planning to also do a partial grille block it may get too warm. I had an issue of that and had such horrible pinging above about 35% load i could barely accelerate.

oil pan 4 04-15-2017 12:53 PM

That's why I recommend a thermostatic air intake.
They keep the air intake at about 90°F.

teoman 04-15-2017 07:42 PM

That is exactly what i am trying to do with steam. Any links?

And why 90 degs?

oil pan 4 04-15-2017 08:09 PM

90 is what the factory mechanical thermostat is set for.
At 90°F there isn't a lot of chance you will have pre-ignition from the air being too hot.
Plus I run a switchable cold air and thermostatic intake so I don't give up any power when I need it.

vskid3 04-15-2017 08:11 PM

If your filter box is sitting on the intake, you could just remove the intake piping before the filter box and have pretty much the same result.

Stubby79 04-16-2017 01:42 AM

If it's just sucking under-hood air, it isn't going to get too warm. Except maybe if you're stuck idling for a while. Even if you are sucking straight off the manifold, there will be plenty of air swirling around in the engine bay, especially at highway speeds when you'll be running under load for extended periods.

vskid3 04-16-2017 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubby79 (Post 538627)
If it's just sucking under-hood air, it isn't going to get too warm. Except maybe if you're stuck idling for a while. Even if you are sucking straight off the manifold, there will be plenty of air swirling around in the engine bay, especially at highway speeds when you'll be running under load for extended periods.

Grill block can help that quite a bit. I've had intake temps over 140F in ~40F weather at highway speeds in my Prius. That's with just a full grill block and removing the intake tube from the filter box, the bottom of the engine bay is wide open.

johnathanf1lm 04-16-2017 03:33 AM

Issur i also see is my ecu us side mounted to the airbox so i may not be able to compety delete my whole intake set up. I may get a scan gauge and monitor the air temps, and timing adavance before and after the swap. To make sure im not losing timing advance.