EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   A replacement for ethanol? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/replacement-ethanol-23976.html)

suspectnumber961 11-13-2012 06:10 AM

A replacement for ethanol?

Cool Planet Energy Systems First Company to Develop Carbon Negative Fuel at Projected Cost of Less Than $1.50 Per Gallon | Business Wire

By running on a 5% Cool Planet carbon negative fuel blended with 95% regular gasoline, the test car blend met California’s 2020 Low Carbon Fuel Standard – eight years ahead of schedule.1 The control car used 100% regular gasoline. The test car successfully passed 5 smog checks with no significant difference between cars.

Cool Planet’s proprietary two-step thermal processing technology takes non-food biomass such as wood chips, agricultural waste like corn stover, or energy crops including giant miscanthus, and switch grass and converts it into useful hydrocarbons. A catalytic conversion is then utilized to complete the production. The end result is high-octane gasoline that is fully compatible with today’s standard automobiles and existing conventional fuel distribution systems.

“Unlike many other biofuel companies, Cool Planet’s carbon negative gasoline is price competitive because of the ingenuity behind our innovation. By mass producing mobile, pre-fabricated micro-refineries that are easily transportable to the biomass source, we significantly reduce costs of feedstock transportation, which maximizes our overall capital efficiency,” said Howard Janzen, President and CEO at Cool Planet Energy Systems. “Each micro-refinery is one hundred times smaller than a typical oil refinery and can produce 10 million gallons of fuel per year; this puts us in the running to compete with oil at $50 a barrel without any government mandates or subsidies.”

A byproduct of producing biofuel is the activated carbon, or biochar, which can be used as a soil enhancer increasing land fertility while isolating the carbon captured from the atmosphere. This comprehensive carbon negative process results in up to a 150% carbon footprint reduction2, far more than any other biomass-to-fuel method.

shovel 11-14-2012 12:42 PM

Cool!

I mean, I have absolutely zero confidence whatsoever that we will ever hear another peep from this company or ever, ever, ever see this fuel or that price, ever. Ever.

But it's cool to have yet another vaporware solution to our energy needs dangled in our faces.

oil pan 4 11-14-2012 12:49 PM

They just discribed Methanol.

5% can be added to gasoline, can be made from wood chips, "two-step thermal processing", byproduct is activated carbon, $50/bbl....
Methanol can be sold for a profit as low as $1/gal when made from natural gas.
The only thing proprietary about it is they wont tell you what the fuel its self is.
Sounds like they are trying to pass off 50+ year old technology as new to scam the govenment. I see this more often than you would think, people trying to pass something old off as "new green technology".

One of our greatest allies, Isreal is about to start testing the addition of methanol to fuel on their countries gas only fleet, a mix of modern vehicles from everywhere and everyone waiting to see what happens there before making any moves elsewhere.
I know Brazil has been using methanol for years but there vehicles are designed for methanol/gasoline mixtures.

shovel 11-14-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 339883)
I see this more often than you would think, people trying to pass something old off as "new green technology".

Werd. I've just seen countless promises to deliver the next generation in energy production or energy use and... nope. Never.

I remember reading about some Japanese guy who figured out solar panels that were 70+% efficient.... never happened.

Some Arizona biologist bred bacteria that grew "shells" which happened to be suitable as electrical substrates in batteries, due to the ungodly surface area it was to mean 30-amp-hour, ultra-high-current recharging/discharging AA batteries.

Everyone and their dog has promised some magical improvement to the internal combustion engine, or some game changing means of locomotion.

Well, we're still driving around in gasoline-powered internal combustion piston engined cars, same as dad, same as grandpa. :rolleyes:

Don't promise me anything technology anymore, IDGAF. Until it's in my hands it doesn't exist.

mort 11-14-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 339883)
They just discribed Methanol.

Except this:
Quote:

Cool Planet’s cellulosic gasoline is chemically identical to fossil gasoline. The only way it can be detected is by carbon 14 isotope analysis...
Business Wire, February 22, 2012

-mort

oil pan 4 11-14-2012 01:07 PM

Don't get me wrong, cheap methanol sounds good to me.
My diesel is set up to run water/methanol injection now and I have no problem running 5-10% methanol in the gas burners. I'm just waiting for the rest of the world to cach up.

oil pan 4 11-14-2012 01:08 PM

If it sounds too good to be true it is.
Something doesn't add up. Some where between it being so cheap, simple and portable.
My engineer likes to say "all the easy stuff has been done already".

redneck 11-14-2012 02:03 PM

More info plus videos.

Cool Planet | Home

>

gone-ot 11-14-2012 03:23 PM

...sounds more like a P.T.Barnum barker yelling: "...our 'new' snake-oil is better than all the previous snakeoils because we use only genuine 'artificial' snakes and man-made oil..."

serialk11r 11-14-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovel (Post 339888)
Everyone and their dog has promised some magical improvement to the internal combustion engine, or some game changing means of locomotion.

Well, we're still driving around in gasoline-powered internal combustion piston engined cars, same as dad, same as grandpa. :rolleyes:

Don't promise me anything technology anymore, IDGAF. Until it's in my hands it doesn't exist.

Some of the magical improvements seem to actually improve on certain aspects of engine performance, but the moment you read their claims all credibility goes out the window...

"We doubled the efficiency of the engine!" The latest crop of direct injected engines is over 38% thermal efficiency, doubling that would be 76%, which is total bull****. The most efficient stationary engines equipped with multiple stage waste heat recovery cannot hit 76%. Perhaps they doubled efficiency at 10% load at 7000rpm with beltless accessories :rolleyes:

"We cut friction by 70%!" Possible knowing that 2 strokes essentially cut friction in half, but I have trouble seeing how one can decrease friction from seals enough to hit that. "Power goes up 50%! Efficiency goes up 70%! Far better energy density than turbocharged 4 strokes!" Okay, you're full of crap.

It's so frustrating :/