EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Retractable Speed Bump awards Slow Drivers *New must see* (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/retractable-speed-bump-awards-slow-drivers-new-must-10734.html)

RandomFact314 10-24-2009 02:26 PM

Retractable Speed Bump awards Slow Drivers *New must see*

I saw this just now on a website I visit really often, its a speed bump that will not go up if you are going slow enough, will if your going fast, would be great for us eh? :p Retractable Speed Bump Awards Slow Drivers - Geekologie

RobertSmalls 10-24-2009 03:30 PM

Or you could just blow through speed bumps fast enough that the suspension passes over the speed bump before the body has time to react. Try it some time.

ChrstphrR 10-24-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 135743)
Or you could just blow through speed bumps fast enough that the suspension passes over the speed bump before the body has time to react. Try it some time.

All the more reason ridge the retractable speed bump with tire spikes.

:thumbup:

brucey 10-24-2009 06:08 PM

Why have people think for themselves when you can force them to do what someone else deems safe?

I dont like the idea speed bumps at all. Its debatable if they even help at all and its just one more thing that ruins driving.

This design could fix a couple of the problems associated with them, but at what cost?

Seraph 10-25-2009 01:19 AM

speed bumps piss me off, unless they're in a real hazard area (school zones) all they do is hold up traffic and waste petrol. Luckily the bumps on my commute can easily be driven over at 60kph+ unless i get idiots that slow down for them

Piwoslaw 10-25-2009 03:27 AM

The problem with speed bumps is that small cars really have to be careful, while SUV's hardly notice them. There is no standard size/shape for speed bumps here, so each one is different. Some tall, some steep, others wide. There is a bump in my neighborhood that regularly catches low cars, the driver has to get out and push. Lots of scraping sounds.

The retractable bump is a good idea, but how fast can it react? And will the height be different for different cars and speeds? Like for a speeding SUV's, instead of a bump you get a concrete wall.

JasonG 10-25-2009 09:08 AM

Yeah my 1ton goes "hmm, think i hit squirrel, oh well" while the saturn (RIP) nearly panicked when she got close to one.
In our area they are using speed humps instead. Bumps are shaped /-\ while speed humps are more /------\ they are long enough that low cars dont get stuck. the design is effective on SUVs as they are matched to the wheelbase. when the front tires are going down the front, the rears are just hitting the back. They are not to be ignored !!! Tried that in a work van and threw half the contents out of the shelves.

jamesqf 10-25-2009 12:07 PM

If I see speed bumps, I speed up. I mean, they're SPEED bumps, aren't they? If they're in a business parking lot, I'm pretty likely not to go back and shop there again.

Seraph 10-25-2009 01:03 PM

I like your way of thinking xD

dcb 10-25-2009 01:21 PM

reminds me of cornstarch (or some other non-newtonian fluid), or a Tibetan monk maybe.