EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   Running WVO in my old benz 123 300d td (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/running-wvo-my-old-benz-123-300d-td-25137.html)

almater1 03-05-2013 11:19 PM

Running WVO in my old benz 123 300d td

Running WVO in my 300d 123 TD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too have been running WVO in my 300D mercedes benz, I noticed a decrease in my fuel economy from the usual 22MPG to 17-18 MPG and wondered if maybe my injectors were clogged but it appears this is the norm??

My benz has over 450k miles on it and who knows how old these injectors are. Thinking about replacing them, just haven't yet.

I do process / filter the snot out of this oil and it runs through Mercedessource kit with heater. Never have compared fuel economy with others doing this. Anyone else have experience and numbers using WVO??

THanks, almater1

320touring 03-06-2013 03:49 AM

I dont use WVO in my Golf,

But I do use veg oil. At higher concentrations, and lower temperatures, the viscosity can be a pain, making the engine slow to respond and needing more "throttle" pedal for the same speed (this is based on me accidentally fuelling with 15L veg on top of about 5L diesel- meaning I was runing a 75% veg mix, and its too cold here just now to do it)

I'm curious as to what the relative energy contents of the following are
1. A gallon of "Pump" diesel
2. A gallon of SVO
3. A gallon of WVO

decreased energy content could explain the increasedconsumption- musch like my LPG'd 328i vs the same car on petrol..

oil pan 4 03-06-2013 12:34 PM

First where in NewMexico are you?

I never try to run a lot of WVO, but when I do it is usually around 10%.
MPG numbers tend to be a little lower, but with in the norm.
I never bothered to try and quantify the effect of WVO blends on fuel economy, since the WVO is free.
Back in 2006 I ran WVO blends up to 25% and the added WVO boosted my diesel only fuel milage to over 30mpg so it wasn't increasing over all diesel consumption.

UFO 03-06-2013 02:08 PM

You may not be getting the WVO and the engine warm enough to completely combust the fuel. The energy content is somewhat close to diesel, although I noticed the new ULSD caused a mileage drop when it was implemented as it has less energy than the old LSD. Now I get better mileage on B100 than ULSD, and to the best of my recollection it used to be equivalent.

user removed 03-06-2013 02:23 PM

I'll mention this again. On the old Benz diesels the injectors would open at about 1800 PSI (no computer controls whatsoever). As they aged that pressure would gradually drop off. At one of the dealerships I worked at we had a tester. We found that the pressures would get down to say 1400-1500 PSI and the car smoked terribly. The lower pressure did not allow for proper atomization of the fuel. All we had to do was replace the springs in the injector assemblies and the pressure jumped back up to 1800+ PSI and the difference was night and day. You can shim the springs in the nozzles to raise the break off pressure even higher. Since 1800 was the recommended top pressure we never messed with the shims, just replaced the springs.

Benz also recommended Red Line diesel fuel treatment back then but that was 30 years ago.

regards
Mech

almater1 03-06-2013 05:40 PM

very cool, I will try replacing springs and post if a change occurs- but you have exactly described my problems. THanks again.

almater1 03-06-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 359875)
First where in NewMexico are you?

I never try to run a lot of WVO, but when I do it is usually around 10%.
MPG numbers tend to be a little lower, but with in the norm.
I never bothered to try and quantify the effect of WVO blends on fuel economy, since the WVO is free.
Back in 2006 I ran WVO blends up to 25% and the added WVO boosted my diesel only fuel milage to over 30mpg so it wasn't increasing over all diesel consumption.

Thanks- I have figured I am saving about $20 per 100 miles driven (at $4 per gal diesel)so you are right- I don't pay for the oil at all so huge savings indeed. I guess my major concern was that I was maybe suffering a mechanical issue. Thanks again!

oil pan 4 03-08-2013 11:44 AM

Older mercedes diesel injectors are very simular to the injectors in my 6.5L.
I have never seen any one replace springs, most of the time guys shim them or replace the old injectors with rebuilt ones. The springs may have been a lot easier to find 20+ years ago.

almater1 03-09-2013 12:01 PM

Replacing injectors

Funny, I was on Ebay looking for rebuilt injectors yesterday. Man alive are they pricey. Might just try and snag a set from upullandpay and see if that does the trick.

thanks for the response.

trooper Tdiesel 03-10-2013 12:30 AM

this place has fare prices.
got injectors for about 18.00 each.

im shour they have them even if there not listed on there site.

i called and they where willing to over hall my odd ball Isuzu IP for about $425

Diesel Care - The best in diesel performance and fuel injection!