EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Sad day - had to trade in my hot rod... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/sad-day-had-trade-my-hot-rod-7178.html)

Bullockracing 02-20-2009 12:37 AM

Sad day - had to trade in my hot rod...

So I reached the effective lifespan of my Mustang GT convertible. I had good success with the mileage (30%+ over), but at 107K miles, the maintenance was getting too much.

So I bought a new Fusion SE 4-cyl. I wanted a 5-spd, but there was not one available close, and it's only worth 1 mpg on the highway. I would have got something smaller, but my son is 5'10" and growing at only 13 years old(!). Anyway, it's an automatic, but at least I got a 4-cyl. It does have a nice mileage gauge, so I can check what my foot is doing to the fuel, although it only does trip mileage (not real time).

So despite my heartache at losing my favorite car:(, I'm looking forward to seeing some 30+ mileage for a change!!!

Frank Lee 02-20-2009 01:16 AM

Shot at 107?!?

RH77 02-20-2009 01:43 AM

Nevertheless, it's a good move. I can sympathize -- I went from a new 300 hp turbo Evo to an older, 4-banger hatch automatic (way before 107K -- around 40K due to poor build quality and cost of ownership).

My favorite car was a '99 Civic Si 5-Speed. Traded "up" for the Evo. Start of the continuation of a bad cycle of addition to speed (velocity, to be specific). If I still had that car today, I would pulling down similar FE numbers and less money spent.

Fact is, we sacrifice for the greater good. I predict that you'll soon grow to love the simplicity and economy of the Fusion. It won't happen overnight, but give it time...

-RH77

cfg83 02-20-2009 02:09 AM

Bullockracing -

Yeah, sorry you had to let the Mustang go. I had a CRX that I sold to my friend. When he had kids he sold it without telling me. If I had known ahead of time, I (probably) would have bought it back and found a way to keep it going.

I would look for a Ford Fusion Forum for details on care and feeding. Without saturnfans.com, I would have traded my SW2 at 110K miles (dealership wanted $1800 for transmission fix at the time, :eek::eek::eek:).

I miss my CRX,

CarloSW2

jamesqf 02-20-2009 12:39 PM

"...but at 107K miles, the maintenance was getting too much."

Says something about Detroit, doesn't it? As best I can remember, the Insight's the only car I've had that had less than 100K on it when I bought it. The '88 Toyota pickup had 200K, and I guess maintenance is getting to be a problem, since I had to replace an alternator belt the other day :-)

PaleMelanesian 02-20-2009 03:15 PM

Aerocivic has approx 490,000 miles on it.

trikkonceptz 02-20-2009 03:23 PM

Good luck with the Fusion. I was able to get one up to 37mpg with just airing up the tires and keeping it under 60mph.

I thought it drove wonderfully. I can't wait to get seat time in the Hybrid, already had training on it and have seen it in person, it is an impressive automobile.

SuperTrooper 02-20-2009 06:35 PM

It depends on how old the car is, how often its driven, and how well it's maintained. I 've seen enough daily driver Mustang/Camaro/Firebirds that were no trouble, become high maintenance nightmares once they became weekend warriors.

Bullockracing 03-01-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 88677)
Shot at 107?!?

Yep - head gasket developed a leak between the combustion chamber and the cooling jackets --> exhaust gas pressurized cooling system and ruptured radiator. Probably due to the heat expansion difference between the aluminum heads and iron block, but may be related to being drag raced and autocrossed occasionally... I have been religious about recurring maintenance, so I think it was an anomaly.

So it was either sink $3100 into a car with 107K miles, or put $3100 down on a new (and more efficient) car with no miles. Seemed like a no-brainer to me...

btw, my payment didn't increase significantly, and my insurance went way down...

Frank Lee 03-01-2009 06:52 PM

Last time I bought a top end gasket kit incl head gasket it was $80?