EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   (SAFE) Vehicles Proposed Rule (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/safe-vehicles-proposed-rule-38261.html)

redneck 04-01-2020 12:50 PM

(SAFE) Vehicles Proposed Rule

(SAFE) Vehicles Proposed Rule

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/safe-final-rule

Quote:

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today released the final Safer Affordable Fuel-Efficient (SAFE) Vehicles Rule setting corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) and CO2 emissions standards for model years 2021-2026 passenger cars and light trucks.

:turtle:

>

rmay635703 04-01-2020 09:04 PM

Meh, rather have gray market laws reversed.

I don’t see this as doing much

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-03-2020 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 620629)
Meh, rather have gray market laws reversed.

Harmonizing safety regulations with Europe and Japan would have the same effect, while enabling American automakers to develop competitive models which would have a broader appeal on export markets.

JSH 04-03-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 620740)
Harmonizing safety regulations with Europe and Japan would have the same effect, while enabling American automakers to develop competitive models which would have a broader appeal on export markets.

Oh the impossible dream. When I was making instrument panels for Mercedes SUVs we had 6 versions of each model.

RHD - USA
RHD - EU
RHD - Rest of World
LHD - UK
LHD - Japan
LHD - Rest of World

There is hope. As part of the recent free trade agreement between the EU and Japan, the Japanese adopted EU vehicle standards.

California98Civic 04-04-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 620807)
... There is hope. As part of the recent free trade agreement between the EU and Japan, the Japanese adopted EU vehicle standards.

Do you mean that the Japanese are going to start RHD?

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-04-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 620807)
When I was making instrument panels for Mercedes SUVs we had 6 versions of each model.

RHD - USA
RHD - EU
RHD - Rest of World
LHD - UK
LHD - Japan
LHD - Rest of World

Seems like you're confusing the location of the cockpit with the sense of traffic on each region. Left-hand drive for right-hand traffic, right-hand drive for left-hand traffic is the usual.

Quote:

There is hope. As part of the recent free trade agreement between the EU and Japan, the Japanese adopted EU vehicle standards.
Makes me wonder how easier it would make for someone living in Europe to get a JDM grey-import.

JSH 04-04-2020 10:27 PM

Yup, massive typo in that post. Switch RHD and LHD in that list. More to the point, we had 3 different versions of LHD and 3 different versions of RHD due to different crash standards around the world which increases design, tooling, and manufacturing costs.

No, Japan isn't switching from RHD to LHD. The are adopting EU emission and crash standards so Japan will get the same spec car as the UK. So for my former colleges that means only 5 instrument panels instead of 6.

In the future is should help someone in the UK get a grey-import Japanese car. Don't know why anyone else in Europe would want a RHD car.

California98Civic 04-05-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 620903)
... No, Japan isn't switching from RHD to LHD. The are adopting EU emission and crash standards so Japan will get the same spec car as the UK. So for my former colleges that means only 5 instrument panels instead of 6.

The trans-pacific partnership that the United States pulled out of in 2017 would have brought US and Japanese standards closer together, from what I understood about the policy. I wonder if that would have made it easier for us in the United States to get grey market Japanese cars. I wonder if the 2019 EU-Japan trade deal took something away from the United States that it had won in the TPP. The bilateral United States Japan trade deal negotiated last year and still incomplete, apparently does nothing much with the auto industry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 620903)
In the future is should help someone in the UK get a grey-import Japanese car. Don't know why anyone else in Europe would want a RHD car.

I wonder why Brexit wouldn't affect Britain's participation in an EU trade deal. Perhaps they did some special side negotiation.

JSH 04-05-2020 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 620936)
The trans-pacific partnership that the United States pulled out of in 2017 would have brought US and Japanese standards closer together, from what I understood about the policy. I wonder if that would have made it easier for us in the United States to get grey market Japanese cars. I wonder if the 2019 EU-Japan trade deal took something away from the United States that it had won in the TPP. The bilateral United States Japan trade deal negotiated last year and still incomplete, apparently does nothing much with the auto industry.

TPP would not have effected emission and crash standards it was more focused on tariffs and internal barriers to business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 620936)
I wonder why Brexit wouldn't affect Britain's participation in an EU trade deal. Perhaps they did some special side negotiation.

As of today there is no real Brexit. Wikipedia sums it up well:

As of February 2020, the United Kingdom's post-Brexit relationship with the remaining European Union members remains to be negotiated. Following the UK's secession from the EU on 31 January 2020, the UK continues to conform to EU regulations and to participate in the EU Customs Union during a transition period that the UK Government says must end by 31 December 2020. The EU side has said that this timetable in unrealistic.

The EU and the UK just kicked the can down the road again.

redpoint5 04-05-2020 11:34 PM

Once you give liberty away to "smarter people" you never get it back.