EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   Saving mucho dinero at the pump (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/saving-mucho-dinero-pump-31529.html)

ME_Andy 03-12-2015 11:52 PM

Saving mucho dinero at the pump

So I've always saved a lot at the pump. It helps to live in a state that's far away from CA and NY. In fact, I've paid as little as 4c/mile before... which is down in EV territory. :)

But a recent, cleverly devious scheme might get my fuel costs even lower (as gas prices tick back up...) A grocery chain around here offers fuel discounts based on how much crap you buy in a month, up to $1/gal on up to 35 gallons.

Now, I can only fill 15 gallons at a time in my Cruze. But I bought 20 gallons worth of gas cans on eBay for $75. When they arrive, I'll take advantage of the full 35 gallons. Plus I'll only stop for gas about once/month. Finally, because I buy more groceries in the extended timeframe, my "fuel points" should double.

And these cans are made in the USA, too!
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTM1N1gxNj...Uq-YY/$_12.JPG

A quick calculation (gas at $2.20/gallon before discount, saving 60c per gallon, 40 mpg) shows that I should be able to maintain my 4c/mile fuel cost. Tack on an additional 5% savings from a rewards card and I'm sitting at 3.8c/mile. :eek:

jcp123 03-13-2015 12:41 AM

Nice! I belatedly thought of something like this when I used an almost identical discount to fill my wife's Rio a while back. Shoulda gotten spare gas for the yard machines and Mustang.

Are you factoring in the cost of the jerry cans? Unless you have a "source", those things ain't cheap.

MetroMPG 03-13-2015 09:09 AM

The Costco approach to fuel purchasing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ME_Andy (Post 471487)
Now, I can only fill 15 gallons at a time in my Cruze.

Your Cruze needs a garage entry! Add new vehicle It appearing under your username helps give your posts some context (for the times you don't mention it in the post itself).

gone-ot 03-13-2015 10:25 AM

But, you have to remember that gasoline eventually goes "stale" during extended sitting periods, especially with alcohol content in it, hence the need for products such as Sta·bil™, etc.

bentring 03-13-2015 10:43 AM

Good idea!

You could take this a bit further and make mucho dinero. It might even solve the gas crisis! All you need is some barrels, and wait until the gas prices go back up, and sell the gas door to door!

On a serious note, a dollar per gallon discount is huge. Around here it's usually more like 10-15 cents...

Fat Charlie 03-13-2015 11:00 AM

Yeah, the cans cost, but they also save. $12 per trip at 60 cents a gallon. Just watch the fill numbers carefully and your logs will still be accurate. Topping off the tank at home would be wonderfully convenient as well.

Frank Lee 03-13-2015 04:04 PM

Devise a means of keeping the cans upright and not sliding around/tipping over in the trunk until you get home to offload. You will thank me. Spilled gas in the car really stinks. I use bungee cords.

Fat Charlie 03-16-2015 07:44 AM

I avoid bungee cords. Run a rope through the cans' handles, tying them all together.

hamsterpower 03-16-2015 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 471534)
But, you have to remember that gasoline eventually goes "stale" during extended sitting periods, especially with alcohol content in it, hence the need for products such as Sta·bil™, etc.

I think he said he fills his tank once a month. If stale gas is a problem after that short of time I have a bigger problem as I'm only filling my tank 4 to 6 times a year as it is. Pedal power!

spacemanspif 03-16-2015 10:31 AM

Great idea thinking of ways to maximize rewards and fuel savings!

If gas goes stale that fast I have 15gallons of stale gas in my Monte Carlo right now that has been sitting all winter. I just drive it easy for the first tank and have never had a problem. If I had a high HP engine that needed every bit of that 87octane I might be worried...but a stock Silverado engine should handle it no problem.