EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Saving@Home (https://ecomodder.com/forum/saving-home.html)
-   -   Saving on the phone (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/saving-phone-36021.html)

teoman 01-06-2018 05:27 AM

Saving on the phone

LCD screened phones use less power when displaying stuff with a black background (you do not need to energize the cystals to align and transmit the light).

OLED screens use even less power where the pixels are individual leds and there is no backlight.

Android note series have this sorted out. They use the black background whenever possible. Ios not somuch so.

Sooo... would it be possible to get the ecomodder site to have a black background?

oil pan 4 01-06-2018 06:12 AM

Select night viewing mode if your device has it.

teoman 01-06-2018 06:22 AM

It does not have a night mode.

But it can invert colors. That worked ok for most stuff but it became really annoying on some apps.

redpoint5 01-06-2018 06:53 AM

Is crystal alignment really the main power draw? B/W LCDs use next to no power.

I would think the power savings is due to local dimming of the back light.

Just turn the back light down on your display.

teoman 01-07-2018 04:50 PM

I used to do that. Crystal alignment draws next to nothing. But now i have a phone with an amoled display. So every pixel is drawing its power.

Google had done an interesting statistic. Had they chosen a black background the amount of enery saved world wide would be fairly significant.

Also a black background is easier on the eyes at night.

Ecky 01-07-2018 07:54 PM

To my knowledge, what you've said about LCD isn't true. But, I'll need to look into it.

teoman 01-07-2018 08:19 PM

Well Yes and no.

For lcd’s it has an effect. But in ecomodders terms it is the same effect as taking a piss before you drive to save weight and fuel. For lcd’s the backlight is the main factor.

For amoleds that is different. Where the black pixels consume no power and white ones consume full power (power is scaled with screen brightness setting)

redpoint5 01-07-2018 09:48 PM

I've always chosen a black background since it's easier on the eyes. I spend so much time in front of screens that the less directed radiation to the retinas, the better.

As an aside, my plasma TV also uses less power the darker the image. The individual gas-filled pixels produce red, green, or blue, and aren't active for black.

teoman 01-08-2018 02:31 AM

Yep i wanted to do that for ecomodder. But cant.

Advrider.com kind of theme would be nice.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-08-2018 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teoman (Post 558158)
Also a black background is easier on the eyes at night.

Could that eventually explain why I feel comfortable using a black-and-white TV in my bedroom instead of a colored one? :D