EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Saw my 1st Tesla today (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/saw-my-1st-tesla-today-28720.html)

elhigh 04-15-2014 07:17 PM

Saw my 1st Tesla today

...and it was an S.

I knew it was a Tesla because of the strong resemblance to a Maserati Quattroporte, but there's only three of those around here, and each of those is black. This was white, so I looked at it some more and realized the nose badge was wrong.

Sorry, no pix. Trying not to crash into things, like Teslas.

Superfuelgero 04-15-2014 07:30 PM

They're wide aren't they? If only they were half the price.

Saw my first in Nashville. I expected to see at least a few while I was on the west coast, nope, not a one.

Thenorm 04-15-2014 07:41 PM

my impression of them is long and low.
they are quite nice inside.
I rode in one at an autocross trying to give pointers to a new driver. They have a lot of torque, they will go like hell, but there is no denying that they weigh a lot. you can feel the weight as it tries to corner.

there is also a roadster that I've seen autocross a bunch on Hoosier Slicks. its weird when it goes by, so quite. the loudest thing you hear is the little rocks and pebbles picked up by the sticky tires and flung into the wheel well. ping ping ping

MetroMPG 04-15-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xntrx (Post 420299)
If only they were half the price.

Wait about 4 more years (for a used one from the first model year). :)

screaming_bmwe30 04-15-2014 10:17 PM

I've seen many s models the Chicagoland suburbs, and lots of the guys I work with are crunching numbers to see how soon they can afford one! This may also have been influenced by my never ending hypermiling conversation at lunch and throughout the day! Thanks ecomodder for feeding an obsession

serialk11r 04-16-2014 04:34 AM

It's so strange seeing a thread titled "saw my first tesla today" when in California I saw my first Roadster 6 years ago and Model S literally clog the roads up.

elhigh 04-16-2014 08:26 AM

^^
That's not surprising. Cali has Silicon Valley, lots of tech-friendly and high incomes that can afford an expensive ride like the S. I looked up the Supercharger network and saw that there are a couple already in place in the Research Triangle in NC, but nothing even in Atlanta, not yet.

We don't get a Supercharger location in Ktown until 2015.

Superfuelgero 04-16-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 420318)
Wait about 4 more years (for a used one from the first model year). :)

I probably will. With the superchargers, if the batteries are dying, I'll just find one so I can get them swapped.

darcane 04-17-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialk11r (Post 420368)
It's so strange seeing a thread titled "saw my first tesla today" when in California I saw my first Roadster 6 years ago and Model S literally clog the roads up.

I wouldn't say "clog the roads" but pretty similar here, near Seattle. I see 3-7 a day on and barely notice them any more. The Roadsters are less common, but I still see one every week or two.

darcane 04-17-2014 01:08 PM

Oh, and they are common enough around here that I have seen one on fire. :D