Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
Scangauge2 shutting off when EOCing

OK so my scangauge shuts off when i EOC.. I read on the manual for Hybrids that this happens so to fix this to change it to hybrid mode .. with this severely mess up my mileage ratings by some how calculating the mileage different..

becuase right now EOC, just kills the scangauge, for accurate milage ratings id be better idling while coasting as the gauge stay running and calculating fuel consumption.

Advise?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
If I'm not mistaken, it's not so much to do with the fact you have a hybrid as much as it is to do with how the ignition kills all electrical stuff non essential to starting the car when you turn the car back on. This might not be the case in a hybrid, but I know several people here who EOC have said the same thing about there regular ICE cars and the fix was to make an ignition kill/start switch that would turn off the ignition without you having to move the key and then also turn the engine back on instead of using the key. In this way you can trick it into leaving the peripherals powered up.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
There is a momentary lapse in the OBD data stream while you're keying off and then on again. SG simply continues to use the latest data during that time. That's what a kill switch solves.

Setting it to hybrid mode keeps it alive and reading the stream, mph especially, for the duration of the engine-off coast. That's the only difference between Hybrid and Gas. There's really no reason to use Gas when the Hybrid mode is available.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 06-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
cool, Ill switch it to hybrid.. yeah I'm not going to add a kill switch until the warranty is out on the truck.. it will be a while... only 40,000 more miles.. I don't drive it much.. However i might once the CRX is done and i start modding it with aero cap and cosmetic stuff

Reply  Post New Thread