EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   ScanGauge Alternatives (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scangauge-alternatives-13158.html)

zhillz 05-06-2010 12:09 AM

ScanGauge Alternatives

EDIT: I cant post links yet... the PLX kiwi mpg is $90 or less and the Maxitrip is $70 on amazon.

So I'm about to start college and I'll be driving over 120mmiles a day so I did some google searches to increase gas mileage and I found this hypermiling idea and general tips for better gas mileage. I see a huge amount of people recommend the scan guage 2 and I can definitely see the benefits to such a device, but with its hefty price tag I was wandering what it has that's beneficial to mpg increase compared to some others?

PLX Kiwi MPG
Almost half as the price but this one has a lot of obvious features missing.

Autel MaxiTrip TP100
This is the one I'm much more likely to purchase until someone sways my mind! I can't find many differences in this one and the ScanGuage 2

Thanks in advance.

McTimson 05-06-2010 08:12 AM

Check out this thread for reviews of the MaxiTrip...

It looks like the MaxiTrip can't compete with the overall quality of the scangauge. It's a cheap alternative if you really can't spend the money now, but you'll probably end up regretting not spending the extra money in a few months.

First though, what kind of car do you have? The SGII only works on OBDII cars ('96+), so if you have an older one, then you'll have to look for something else anyway.

zhillz 05-06-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McTimson (Post 173408)
First though, what kind of car do you have? The SGII only works on OBDII cars ('96+)

I'm not THAT noob! It's a 98 Civic EX. Thanks for the response and I'm definitely going to the SGII with all the people complaining on the Maxitrips inaccuracy and poor quality... I found a thread about JCwhitney selling it for 150 with 20% off and free shipping by finding online coupons so I'm just gunna bite the bullet and do that.

gone-ot 05-06-2010 10:51 AM

...I can attest that the AutoMeter 9100 ecometer is neither as versatile nor as functional as the SGII, although it *is* cheaper in cost.

...its MPG display is as accurate as the SGII, but its MPH and RPM displays were always "dithering" around a value and seemingly never "settled" down.

...and, most damningly, the 9100 literally "...ran down the battery..." in my brand-new Vibe after only 6 days of inactivity! This has NEVER happened with the SGII that I now use.

boxchain 05-06-2010 05:02 PM

The GoLink looks promising as well: Products | goPoint Technology

It's a $100 OBD-to-iPhone cable. It gives you mileage/speed/RPM/etc data readouts, reads and resets trouble codes, charges the phone and does datalogging using an external website.

I think I'm going to order this, since I have an iPhone, and I've been wary of getting a SG since any gadget attracts thieves where I live. I had a digital tire pressure gauge stolen recently. Really. :mad:

zhillz 05-06-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxchain (Post 173493)
The GoLink looks promising as well

It's a $100 OBD-to-iPhone cable. It gives you mileage/speed/RPM/etc data readouts, reads and resets trouble codes, charges the phone and does datalogging using an external website.

I think I'm going to order this, since I have an iPhone, and I've been wary of getting a SG since any gadget attracts thieves where I live. I had a digital tire pressure gauge stolen recently. Really. :mad:

I might have considered this for my itouch but i found a local SGII for $100 so I'm picking it up next week!

Thanks for the responses.

sarguy01 05-06-2010 11:56 PM

I found a used Scangauge on Ebay for 118$ shipped. I looked into other alternatives as well but ultimately decided to go with a proven product. I should get it next week.

zhillz 05-07-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarguy01 (Post 173571)
I found a used Scangauge on Ebay for 118$ shipped. I looked into other alternatives as well but ultimately decided to go with a proven product. I should get it next week.

Good price! I'm used to seeing used items sell for half or less of their original retail price, but these things hold their value!

sarguy01 05-07-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zhillz (Post 173617)
Good price! I'm used to seeing used items sell for half or less of their original retail price, but these things hold their value!

No kidding. Even though I could have gotten a new one for ~30$ more, that would go against saving as much money as possible with this car. 30$ is a tank of gas.

THX_FOR_ALL_THE_FISH 08-18-2010 11:42 PM

Another alternative: Ultra-Gauge

Quote:

Originally Posted by zhillz (Post 173375)
I see a huge amount of people recommend the scan guage 2 and I can definitely see the benefits to such a device, but with its hefty price tag I was wandering what it has that's beneficial to mpg increase compared to some others?

Have a look at UltraGauge. Less expensive than all the units you mentioned and as many features as both.

Have a look and decide for yourself. ultra-gauge.com
Let us know which you choose and what was the key deciding factor. :D