EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   ScanGauge or other options? Android or DIY kits? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scangauge-other-options-android-diy-kits-25474.html)

jasonck08 04-06-2013 05:54 AM

ScanGauge or other options? Android or DIY kits?

So I just bought a 1999 Lexus RX300 with 101K miles. It's in mint condition inside, and great overall exterior condition (a few paint chips etc).

This car will replace my 1989 Camry which had too much wrong with it to fix (Suspension gone all the way around, out of alignment leaking a fair amount of oil, door handle broken, auto seat belts sometimes don't work. Trunk leaks in water despite rubber seals being great, and siliconing all light housing seals.

Anyways, I only drive about 3000 miles a year, so MPG isn't that much of a concern, but its more of a hobby. I'd like to see how far I can stretch a gallon of gas, and see how my driving style can effect MPG in real time.

My question is simple, I'm considering a ScanGauge, but is there something else thats similar and perhaps cheaper or better? Like something that interfaces with android? Or I'd even be open to potentially soldering together some kind of an open source kit. If someone can give me some feedback on some of the options available, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Gealii 04-06-2013 08:19 AM

UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

ksa8907 04-06-2013 08:29 AM

If you already have an android smartphone, preferably full size, Torque app costs $5 and bluetooth adapters on ebay can be had for about $12. Custom gauge setups with customizable gauge faces, logging ability, track your gps position and speed. I love it!

jasonck08 04-06-2013 07:05 PM

Thanks guys.

Any comments about the MPG accuracy and ability to calibrate on the UltraGauge and the Android Torque solution?

Gealii 04-06-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonck08 (Post 365406)
Thanks guys.

Any comments about the MPG accuracy and ability to calibrate on the UltraGauge and the Android Torque solution?

the ultragauge you can get to be very accurate and is easy to calibrate. Currently mine has about .4mpg error aka itll be within .4 of my actual whether thats human error as .4 could easily be tank filling probs

NachtRitter 04-06-2013 07:17 PM

Just a matter of getting it calibrated

ksa8907 04-06-2013 07:31 PM

Torque has an option where you can adjust by 1% increments

jasonck08 04-06-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 365298)
If you already have an android smartphone, preferably full size, Torque app costs $5 and bluetooth adapters on ebay can be had for about $12. Custom gauge setups with customizable gauge faces, logging ability, track your gps position and speed. I love it!

What one on ebay did you buy, and what car are you using it in?

I read that some of the cheaper ebay ones don't work in all cars...

Gealii 04-06-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NachtRitter (Post 365410)
Just a matter of getting it calibrated

all i did was zero out everything when i did a fill then at the next fill corrected the miles traveled and gallons used

vskid3 04-06-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonck08 (Post 365415)
What one on ebay did you buy, and what car are you using it in?

I read that some of the cheaper ebay ones don't work in all cars...

I bought this one from Amazon. Seems to be one of the best cheap ones, and Amazon probably has a better return policy than most sellers on ebay. I've tried mine in my '06 Escape Hybrid and my parents' '03 or '04 Yukon XL and it works great.

The only downside with Torque or another Android app is that you either need a dedicated device mounted in your car or you need to take out your phone/tablet every time you drive and set it up. If you want something to just plug in and never have to worry about, I would go with an Ultragauge.