Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
More Accurate Overhead Computer...

Has anyone figured out if it is possible to make the overhead computer in new cars more accurate? My dads car is off by about 2mpg everytime, sometimes more sometimes less.

Any ideas? Other than just do it by the tank.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Subscribed -- my wife's '06 Pontiac G6 GT has a similar problem -- usually it's optimistic by +2 MPG. Sometimes +3. (One time it was pessimistic, but that's the outlyer.)

I'll probably just get another Scangauge for her car one of these days....
Old 02-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Subscribed -- my wife's '06 Pontiac G6 GT has a similar problem -- usually it's optimistic by +2 MPG. Sometimes +3. (One time it was pessimistic, but that's the outlyer.)

I'll probably just get another Scangauge for her car one of these days....
It might be more accurate to simply calculate a correction factor for the onboard reading. The vehicle unit generally has access to target AFR and injector pulse width, which the ScanGauge generally does not.

When you 'calibrate' and OBD-II based MPG gauge, you are not really calibrating for variation in sensors so much as variation in the driver and common routes. The unit has to make some big guesses, always on actual AFR, and often (if no MAF sensor) on variable things like VE. So you end up with a fixed setting guess, and a correction 'fudge' factor that was empirically derived.

That value will be wrong if driving habits change, or you just have to drive over hillier or flatter terrain than usual. Since it is a guess anyway, then it might be better to apply it to the built in, since it (at least theoretically) has access to some better data.

If you are interested in really good precision as a measurement (vs. a rough measurement and a 'you' specific fudge factor). I think that MAF + a fast wideband (preferably one that can go to free air), or, depending on your injectors, measuring IPW are the best ways to go. On modern cars measuring IPW is tricky, not electrically, but because of all the games they play with cyls, etc. In that case, MAF + wideband is probably the way to go.

On an older car, IPW is a great way to measure. I'd still use a wideband and MAF initially, to profile injector flow under different conditions, but that could be derived empirically with good accuracy.

-jjf
Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...for one thing, the GM "electronic" speedometers consistently read about 2 mph high...which *will* fudge the real mpg value.

Reply  Post New Thread