EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   Scangauge's velcro is disintegrating in the sun! Better way to mount it? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scangauges-velcro-disintegrating-sun-better-way-mount-22984.html)

1337 08-20-2012 01:55 AM

Scangauge's velcro is disintegrating in the sun! Better way to mount it?
 
Currently, I have a Scangauge II mounted to my Miata's dashboard with velcro. Every time I leave my car in the sun, I come back to find that the velcro has melted and the Scangauge has fallen down. This post describes roughly the same problem.

On a couple of occasions, I've removed the velcro, cleaned the dash really well, and installed a fresh velcro strip. This helps for a few weeks, but then the Scangauge starts falling again.

Anyone have any advice on a better material/device than velcro for mounting a Scangauge?

As you can see in the stock photo below, there aren't many places to mount a Scangauge. Note that the plastic on the top of the dash is textured, so velcro mounts especially poorly there. My Scangauge is currently velcro'd to the glossy black trim above the radio.

http://myfiero.com/uploads/21837_.jpg

turbovr41991 08-20-2012 09:21 AM

Can you do one of the rear view mirror mounted ones?

I was lucky enough to have 2 radio din's and used one for my scanage. But it this was not an option I would probably go on my rear view.

Daox 08-20-2012 11:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
We very recently got some suction cup mounts for the SG. So recently in fact that I haven't had a chance to try one out yet. They look pretty nice. Here are a few pictures we got.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1345474590


http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1345474590


http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1345474590

mcrews 08-20-2012 04:34 PM

these new mounting things are very cool.

After 100k miles and several locations, IMHO, have it as close to other information screens is the MAJOR concideration. (also mounted so as not to encourage theft)
If you have to look off in another direction or look lower, you are causing an unnecessary distraction.

I also find that keeping it out of the glare, reduces the strain on my eyes. While the suction mount is nice, it puts the gauge in front of the moving scene thru the windshield. Over a long trip, this is hard on the eyes. (I drive 11-13 hours at a time)

Here is my current mounting location:
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/v...IMG_2423-1.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/IMG_2418.jpg

Weather Spotter 08-20-2012 04:59 PM

when will the suction up mounts be for sale on the forum?

turbovr41991 08-20-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 322752)
also mounted so as not to encourage theft

If you have to look off in another direction or look lower, you are causing an unnecessary distraction.

+ 1 on all this.

There is not much too stealing one of these $150 units if you leave it suck there exposed for all to see. Just like a radar detector or GPS. I always pull down whatever electronics are in plain sight and tuck them away for safe keeping and to not provide any motivation for someone to break in. I just don't want to deal with that loss combined with the cost of replacing a window and whatever else is stolen or damaged.

I moved my stereo down to the lower din location. It is still within reach, but requires a little more effort to make addjustments. The upper din location I replaced with a pocket with a door. So when I park the car, I just close the door and my scan gauge is hidden. When its time to go, I just open it back up and use as normal. I will try to take pictures later. I would really like to modify a cluster or dash to house the unit, but I am not in a rush to do that.

MetroMPG 08-20-2012 05:18 PM

They're available now. We need to make an info page for the "store" area, but anybody who wants one before then can get one by sending funds to sales@ecomodder.com via PayPal. Price for forum members is 19.95 USD including shipping in the U.S. (other locations, please email for shipping quote).

1337 08-21-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbovr41991 (Post 322642)
Can you do one of the rear view mirror mounted ones?

I was lucky enough to have 2 radio din's and used one for my scanage. But it this was not an option I would probably go on my rear view.

Good idea. I tried mounting the ScanGauge to the mirror. It was just a quick experiment, so I used some rubber bands to attach the scangauge to the rearview mirror and to hold the cable out of the way.

Verdict: the Miata windshield is just too small to have a Scangauge hanging on the mirror...it takes away more forward visibility than I felt comfortable with. Rearview mirror mount would be good for a car/truck with a big windshield though.

1337 08-21-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 322770)
They're available now. We need to make an info page for the "store" area, but anybody who wants one before then can get one by sending funds to sales@ecomodder.com via PayPal. Price for forum members is 19.95 USD including shipping in the U.S. (other locations, please email for shipping quote).

Fantastic! I want one of these suction cup mounts...I just sent the payment to sales@ecomodder.com. Look for a PayPal message with the subject "Order/Payment for ScanGauge II Suction Cups."

1337 08-21-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 322752)
these new mounting things are very cool.

After 100k miles and several locations, IMHO, have it as close to other information screens is the MAJOR concideration. (also mounted so as not to encourage theft)
If you have to look off in another direction or look lower, you are causing an unnecessary distraction.

I also find that keeping it out of the glare, reduces the strain on my eyes. While the suction mount is nice, it puts the gauge in front of the moving scene thru the windshield. Over a long trip, this is hard on the eyes. (I drive 11-13 hours at a time)

Thanks for the tips! I have my ScanGauge mounted (though I use the term "mounted" loosely, given the velcro problem) in essentially the same location as you do.

I'm also a big fan of long haul trips...drove from Illinois to California in 3 days earlier this year. :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com