EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   Scion xB - first mod (upper grill block, fog light recess cover) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scion-xb-first-mod-upper-grill-block-fog-11360.html)

fisqual 12-08-2009 10:08 AM

Scion xB - first mod (upper grill block, fog light recess cover)

I'm not sure if I've posted anything yet, but this forum has inspired me quite a bit. I've always been very obsessive about my MPG, but I never thought such simple mods could produce such noticeable results.

About 6 months ago I lost a 'fog light cover' from the front of my Scion xB due to an impact with some semi truck retread (I was drafting!). About that same time, I noticed my mileage decrease from 34 to 32. I equated it to the amount of miles I've put on this poor thing in the last 6 months, my overall increased speed (my GPS says my speedo reads about 3mph faster than I'm actually going, so I started compensating for it). And no real maintenance besides oil changes - and I can't really afford to do the 100k mile tuneup (even myself) as I'm in the process of moving.

Anyways, I'm not even through my first tank of gas since I performed my first 'mod' and I'm already noticing a relatively large difference. My car no longer feels nearly as strained just driving it (at 80mph), wind noise is down significantly, and I've driven 100 miles and only used '1/4' of a tank. Usually I only get about 85 miles to the first 1/4.

I covered up my top grille opening and the missing foglight cover with some free (reused) coroplast from a sign I pillaged out of the local 'nails so happy' dumpster. I cut it to fit and rounded it all off with black duct tape. It's not really pretty, but it's also not noticeable to most people either.

I'm tempted to also cover the lower grille, but I wanted to make sure there would be no adverse effects from covering one of the openings. The car does run 4k rpm on the interstate at 80mph, so heat may be a concern in the summer if not now.

Luckily because of the move, I do the same 6 hour drive every weekend! Perfect for testing mpg! Hopefully I can find more dumpster coroplast to fill in the lower grille and even make some temporary wheel fairings to test out on the drives that follow.

NeilBlanchard 12-08-2009 10:36 AM

Welcome to EM!

I agree that an upper grill block is an excellent mod, and fog light covers are also quite helpful for the FE. I made mine from 1/8 acrylic sheet, and the tape is still holding very well.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...mods-2969.html

Christ 12-08-2009 10:39 AM

Great first post! (Yes, it was your first under this username.)

Welcome to EM, and happy motoring!

thatguitarguy 12-08-2009 11:06 AM

Good job! I put an upper grill block on my minivan and used clear packing tape over my foglights. I did try a lower grill block in addition to the upper, but that is too much for the amount of climbing I have to do in the Colorado mountains. It might be OK for you in the winter where you live, but if you try it be sure to watch your gauges and don't let the temp slip too high.

If you want to see really significant mpg gains, slow down!

JeepNmpg2 12-08-2009 11:44 AM

Boxed Vehicles Unite!

Welcome to EM!

I have to agree with the others, my mileage usually goes to the toilet after 65.

fisqual 12-23-2009 08:59 AM

Thanks for the response. I've driven almost 2000 miles since the mod, and I've noticed about a .6mpg increase. Not much, but everything makes a difference.

Now I'm at about 30.9mpg

SVOboy 12-23-2009 09:05 AM

Nice job :thumbup:

Any pictures for us?

MetroMPG 12-23-2009 11:26 AM

I'll second guitar guy's suggestions: if you do a full block, watch your coolant temperature like a hawk. Also, changing ambient temps require constant vigilance. Don't melt your engine.

Also, yes, slowing down a bit will probably have a bigger impact than the upper grille block did. :)

That said, if you are committed to 80 mph, aero mods are your friend.

SentraSE-R 12-25-2009 12:58 AM

I get 32 mpg at 70 mph in my MT xB, and 40+ mpg at 55 mph. Leave an hour earlier some weekend, and drive slower. Your improved mileage will shock you.

rgathright 12-28-2009 09:32 AM

I really want to see some pics of this.

Often adding modifications like this can make your ride look cooler as well.:cool: