EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   The Scrap-EV Project (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scrap-ev-project-5978.html)

braddd 11-13-2008 12:52 PM

The Scrap-EV Project

I decided to start a log to monitor my progress with my EV.
The phases are bound to change so I won't get into that until I have my donor car.

I am currently looking at a 1992 Miata convertible 5spd. Only $995. The only issue I see is the small space available for the batteries. Anyone have feedback on that? The hunt will continue until I find the perfect car, I'm in no rush there.

Motors and controllers are important and I plan to actively seek those.

In the mean time I don't like to sit idle, so I plan on putting together what I can. An LED battery monitor, picking up some of the parts like the 12v pump. Also I want to look into powering my lights with it's own independent battery. Because I am in SoCal, I am going to use a solar panel (or attempt to). I just need to research the voltage needed to charge and not just idle the battery.

So here we go - EV #1.

Daox 11-13-2008 01:24 PM

It looks like a handful of people have made the Miata a good conversion vehicle. Here are a few from evalbum.com. They all went with a fairly high voltage even, so you know they're packing a buncha batteries in there.

Pat Mackey's 1992 Mazda Miata

Pat Beirne's 2000 Mazda Miata

Dimitri Butvinik's 2001 Mazda Miata EV

SVOboy 11-13-2008 02:04 PM

Do it! The miata is a sweet ride, :)

MetroMPG 11-13-2008 02:08 PM

Pat Beirne's Miata has since been "re-converted" into a bio-diesel range extended EV slash series hybrid: past its all electric range, it can operate at speeds up to 80 km/h / 50 mph on the diesel genset.

You hit the nail on the head re: space for batteries. The answer depends a lot on the system voltage you're aiming for. 90v minimum for a 50 mph car, I'd wager.

Here are a couple more from the album:

Joe Harris' 1996 Mazda Miata

Bill Theeringer's 1990 Mada Miata

bennelson 11-13-2008 11:13 PM

Miata is a great car!

That's one that I considered converting. Space for batteries is the big limiter on that vehicle.

The rear-wheel drive setup is pretty slick for an EV. If I had one of those, I wouldn't have had to shorten my motor to fit it in my car!

Were I doing a Miata conversion, I would use lots of smaller batteries to get the system voltage up, while still having some flexibility in where and how the batteries are mounted.

msmnick 11-28-2008 07:26 PM

are you going to try and keep the 50/50 weight ratio :-D

True, space is limited, but the starting weight of around 2200lbs is awesome, and you can strip a miata down to 1900-2000lbs and still have it livable. Obviously the engine goes out and batteries/electric motor goes in, but the weight comes from mostly other areas. The aero could be improved much, too, helping to give you a further range.

dremd 11-29-2008 10:30 AM

Super sweet!
I've been wanting a miata even for years.

order99 11-30-2008 07:36 PM

So are you planning on going with the tried-and-true Lead Acid, or do you have the wherewithal for something more exotic?