EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   set my electric fan to push or pull? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/set-my-electric-fan-push-pull-25793.html)

aktacoma 05-10-2013 02:47 AM

set my electric fan to push or pull?

so i bought an electric fan and it says it can either push or pull and I plan on grill blocking at the same time any advice?

Frank Lee 05-10-2013 03:22 AM

Put it wherever it fits best.

aktacoma 05-10-2013 03:29 AM

should i have it putting the warm air into the engine or away from it?

Flakbadger 05-10-2013 04:37 AM

Every radiator fan I've ever seen has been behind the radiator, pulling air through the radiator and into the engine compartment. At speed, the air should flow through the radiator without needing the fan, and it exits under the vehicle.

Frank Lee 05-10-2013 06:31 AM

Oooooh, direction of blowing! Towards the rear of course. I think if you block so much that the fan runs excessively- by that I mean the fan shouldn't be on cruising down the highway- that is too much and ends up wasting energy.

user removed 05-10-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aktacoma (Post 370550)
so i bought an electric fan and it says it can either push or pull and I plan on grill blocking at the same time any advice?

Most of those fans have an aerodynamic shape to the blades. Mount it to maximise the efficiency of the fan blades, which is usually in the direction of pulling the air though the front of the fan (the open side without the frame in the way). The exception would be where clearance issues prevent the preferred installation position.

Follow Frank"s advice as well. Those fans can draw significant amps.

regards
Mech

Frank Lee 05-10-2013 08:02 AM

Back in the day I shoehorned a Toyota engine into a Spitfire. Even with relocating the radiator forward there was no room between it and the water pump for a fan, mechanical or electric. I found some random junkyard e-fan (there weren't many to choose from back then!) from a Simca I think, and after some mods to the blade so I could mount it backwards on the motor, I then mounted the fan assembly to the front of the radiator. I just used manual control; off til temp gauge moved, then on. Worked good.

Cobb 05-10-2013 08:56 AM

My sidekick and mercedes 240d has an electric pusher and a mechanical puller fan. :eek:

justme1969 05-10-2013 09:09 AM

Some fans it doesnt matter, as Im sure yours does not. Just ensure you are drafting through the radiator into the engine compartment.
Few things can overpower 80 mph winds especially with the compression it has at front of a car.
Results fan fights incoming wind, fan tries hard, burns up!

user removed 05-10-2013 02:05 PM

Most pusher fans are more for AC than radiator cooling, and yes you definitely do not want it pushing air the wrong way.

regards
Mech