EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   She who gets the last laugh laughs best! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/she-who-gets-last-laugh-laughs-best-32627.html)

ChewChewTrain 08-23-2015 09:28 AM

She who gets the last laugh laughs best!

On a sparkling sunny day, I was driving my British Racing Green, Miata with the top down up the steep portion of a delightful, twisty, mountain highway. Mindful of my MPG game, my speed was conservative. Suddenly, a Tesla shot past me and quickly disappeared around the next bend. I could almost hear him say, "See ya, Slow Poke!"

After peaking the mountain, the downslope side of that mountain highway turned gravity into my playful friend. Any excessive speed wouldn't penalize my MPG. During my fun, I shot past a blonde in a convertible Benz. She could almost hear me say, "See ya, Slow Poke!"

About 25 minutes later, When I finally pulled off the freeway, a dozen city blocks into town I pulled up behind that same Tesla that had previously shot past me. I had a good laugh on him.

But soon afterwards, the blonde in the convertible Benz pulled up behind me. She got the last laugh on both of us.

MORAL OF THE STORY: What's your rush? There will always be traffic ahead of you that will slow you down anyways. Practically speaking, excessive speed doesn't really get you there any faster. That perception is ONLY in your head. Would you agree?

user removed 08-23-2015 09:50 AM

Excess speed can get you to the morgue very quickly and I'm sure most sane people are in no hurry to get there.

Pop always told me he preferred to have the idiots in front of him, which works fine until their busted connecting rod breaks your windshield.

regards
mech

ksa8907 08-23-2015 10:51 AM

I see this a lot, and fall victim to the perception. The only place it can be helpful is, coincidentally, also the most dangerous; intersections. I have a light on my commute that can easily add 5+ minutes to my trip. The light literally lasts 5 seconds on green, if you're the 4th car you go through on yellow. 6+ car? 5 minute wait.

deejaaa 08-23-2015 01:34 PM

the only time I can see speed as a benefit is in a trip 4 hours or longer. I recently drove to Brightsand SK from home, 32 hours in 3 days, 2,068 miles, average speed 65. if I would have driven at my usual speed, 55-60, it would have taken me 34-37 hours. after 32 hours on the road, anything between 2-5 hours makes a difference between getting in at midnight or 5 in the morning.
other than that, i'll see you at the next light.

jamesqf 08-23-2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain (Post 490895)
Practically speaking, excessive speed doesn't really get you there any faster. That perception is ONLY in your head. Would you agree?

Nope, because when you're driving a Miata or Tesla on a twisty mountain road, it's not about getting to your destination, it's about the pleasure of driving.

Now if you're driving on a boring straight multi-lane highway, sure. But even there, I confess to being unable to understand why some people slow to a crawl on entrance ramps & interchanges.

ChewChewTrain 08-23-2015 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaaa (Post 490913)
the only time I can see speed as a benefit is in a trip 4 hours or longer.

My tolerance is greater. From Oakland to LA at 55mph it's a 6.75 hours. At 70mph, it's down to 5.25 hours. Agreed. That 1.5 hour difference is substantial. But I'm always able to ground myself by asking, "If my arrival time is not important, what's the rush?"

I also remind myself that 747s can go a lot faster if the pilot chooses, but they lumber along at their cruising speed and thus my Civic chugs along at it's own cruising speed.

More important than saving fuel and money is that I arrive at my destination SO much more physically and mentally relaxed. That means a lot to me.

dirtydave 08-23-2015 02:08 PM

I drove from williamsburg, Virginia to Baltimore. Maryland @55mph.

waze kept telling me about a backup ahead but I never hit it.

everyone else went 90-0

and we got 37mpg in a loaded 2.5l jetta automatic.

ChewChewTrain 08-23-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 490917)
I drove from williamsburg, Virginia to Baltimore. Maryland @55mph.

waze kept telling me about a backup ahead but I never hit it.

everyone else went 90-0

and we got 37mpg in a loaded 2.5l jetta automatic.

You actually make a good point. During commute traffic, everyone races past me, but it's fruitless and wasteful. I eventually catch up, because we all get stuck in the same traffic jam.

They waste fuel by going too fast. They waste fuel by having to idle their engine longer in the traffic jam. And, they get to their destination no faster. It's a triple loss. Perhaps four losses, if you count their stupidity for not being observant and learning.

ChewChewTrain 08-23-2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 490915)
Nope, because when you're driving a Miata or Tesla on a twisty mountain road, it's not about getting to your destination, it's about the pleasure of driving.

EUREKA! My search is over. I have found an honest man! :thumbup:

redpoint5 08-23-2015 11:15 PM

I went for an hour joyride on my motorcycle in my youth; twisting through back country roads and slowing through the occasional tiny town. When I pulled back into my driveway the odometer read that I had traveled 100 miles.

That was a very enjoyable drive, albeit dangerous.

As far as the economics of speeding are concerned, I find it rarely pays off on shorter trips, but certainly pays off on longer ones. I'll drive faster when I have passengers since the time lost traveling is multiplied by the number of people traveling, and the cumulative miles traveled per passenger makes the mpg less important.