EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   should my rear spoiler come off? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/should-my-rear-spoiler-come-off-18449.html)

drv2die 08-09-2011 06:16 PM

should my rear spoiler come off?

1 Attachment(s)
i have read that most of the increases in aero are on the back of the car. i have a small rear spoiler factory installed on my car barely hangs off the trunk and only sticks up a little bit . would i benefit from removing it.

also ideals for my side mirrors they mount on the door not the pillar if i take it off there will be a hole in the door. i dont want to weld fill sand and paint it. its a curved surface. i pray to the aero gods to send me answers. or anyone with ideals

ecomodded 08-12-2011 05:26 PM

Wow thats a tuff call, I am thinking your particular car "looks" like it may be better off without the spoiler? the only way that spoiler could help is if the trunk below the spoiler is too low from the roof line to provide ideal air flow. the added height may put the trunk into a aerodynamic sweet spot by adjusting the flow angle of air/wind off the roof(and trunk). Often a spoiler adds drag but a well placed and designed one can reduce drag.
Here is a link to where the discussion on the roof angle that I was recently reading - http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...why-12732.html post # 10

gone-ot 08-12-2011 06:43 PM

...time for some "tuft" testing and video recording by a trailing car.

...why? because, typically, most spoilers don't really DO much unless you're doing 100+ mph, which in the world of MPG isn't practical. So, if it ain't *working* it probably should be removed. But, the "...tale of the tufts..." will tell.

ChazInMT 08-13-2011 02:02 AM

From my understanding, anything that brings the back of the car closer to the Ideal Template, is a good thing. Since it is certain that the rear slope of your Tiburon is under the curve, (due to the fact you can see out of it) the spoiler may be helping.

As for the mirrors, they're mounted on stalks which is a good thing, the only way to reduce their impact would be to remove them, but at what cost? Safety should always be a top priority, and in traffic, them mirrors is gold. Also local laws can be a pain as to whether you need an outside side mirror or not, I for one don't want to give "The Man" any reason to stop me. (Thats why my car is painted flat black with Radar/Laser absorbing paint and my windows are tinted to 87%, they never see me...shhhhh)

http://i52.tinypic.com/10dtjsx.jpg

drv2die 08-13-2011 04:17 AM

thanks for the advice i geuss the next time i meet up with my brother i will have him video with some tufts on.i thought about doing a-b-a testing with it off but i have yet to find a road that would work well and i dont know if i would be able to tell a difference from just the spoiler delete. i had thoughts of using some smaller cut to size mirror in the a-pillar attached to the door so i still have limited mirror and am in line with the law. i usually check my corners ( habits from riding a motorcycle) . and chazinmt that car would get pulled over faster here than almost anyother. cops rarely notice minor things like mirrors. but i love the paint awesome.

euromodder 08-13-2011 04:34 AM

Hard to get decent side shots of these - Hyundai Coupe ? but what year ?

The rear slope looks a bit too steep, as it usually does, so the low spoiler could well be beneficial to bring the slope back on the ideal line.

That spoiler is low and unsuspecting, those are often the ones that might actually help.

Looks like the 3rd brake light is part of the spoiler ?
If it's mandatory (it is here) it'll be a nuisance when removing the spoiler

drv2die 08-13-2011 05:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
it is a 2008 tiburon, i agree that the rear window angle is probably a little to steep and that the spoiler may help in that area. i looked through my pictures and cant find any perfect side shots of my car. they are all front or rear quarter shots. this is one i pulled off of the company website from me sticking a ruler on my screen im getting around 20 degee angle of the rear glass is that what you see? (ideal should be 12-14 right?) the other is my car. i geuss they put the mirror on the door to improve visibilty if they had mounted forward it would probably be useless.

drv2die 08-13-2011 05:14 AM

of yea i have taken the spoiler off once before to wax under it it is 4 nuts and in connector there is a grommet hole under one leg off the spoiler. law enforcement would never care about the third light being gone.

aerohead 08-13-2011 01:54 PM

on

Just shootin' from the hip I'd say leave 'er as you found 'er.

kach22i 08-13-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChazInMT (Post 255864)
From my understanding, anything that brings the back of the car closer to the Ideal Template, is a good thing.

Can anyone point me to this template?

Nice car ChazInMT.

About the Tiburon, just my opinion, no tuff test or anything..............that spoiler is just too small to have much of an impact either way, on or off.

At higher speeds I'd rather give up a little fuel economy for a little more down force. Where I live, winter is longer than summer, and safety comes first.