EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   On the side of the road. (Motorcycle or Scooter ever been disabled) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/side-road-motorcycle-scooter-ever-been-disabled-31100.html)

nemo 01-31-2015 06:51 AM

On the side of the road. (Motorcycle or Scooter ever been disabled)

Yesterday was motorcycle on the side of the the road day. It has been eons since I have ridden, but I don't remember ever breaking down. I do remember my brother having to stop at every station and drain the hoses (late everything closed) to make it home with his Kawasaki triple. So my question is has your motorcycle or scooter ever been disabled on the side of the road and why.

2000mc 01-31-2015 12:57 PM

Voltage regulator / rectifier shorted out, blew the main fuse. So it was like turning off the key while cruising at 60mph. If I had a crystal ball I could have disconnected the regulator and then replaced the main fuse and got it home on battery power, but w/o a crystal ball, I had to trailer it

Xist 01-31-2015 08:58 PM

I wish that you had specified scooter or motorcycle in the title. I voted and then saw.

Rishar 01-31-2015 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 466171)
I wish that you had specified scooter or motorcycle in the title. I voted and then saw.

Same XD

D.O.G. 01-31-2015 09:30 PM

I ticked out of gas, flat tyre and other mechanical.:o

I haven't ridden much for some years now, but I've had many different bikes in the past.

Once each for out of gas and flat tyre, lots for other mechanical.

nemo 01-31-2015 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 466171)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rishar (Post 466172)
Same XD

The survey question could have been clearer. I was unable to find a way to edit it.:(

order99 02-01-2015 10:04 PM

Only had one scooter-a little low-powered Shop-bug with dead batteries and a top speed of 12 MPH. Couldn't beat the price (free!) so I autopsied it for some much-needed experience, replaced the batteries and gave it a go-it was nice for local trips to the two or three stores within 10 miles where I used to live.

Got caught by a heavy rain, skidded through an inch-deep puddle crossing the road and found that the waterproofing on the wiring bundle was...not so much. :( The good news was than the Shop-bug was only 30 lbs and easy to shoulder, and it was only a three mile walk home.

I gave it away to my neighbor's kids a month later-it was only a toy to me.

user removed 02-01-2015 11:08 PM

Scraped myself up some but rode home.

Picked a nail up and rode home with most of my weight on the other wheel.

Forgot to tighten up the breaker plate on my 1971 CB350, when I replaced the points, about 2 miles from home. A GI (army) stopped and we picked the bike up and put it in his pickup bed and he drove me home. I offered him $20 and he refused so I gave him one of Pop's books, about his B17 days in WW2, which he accepted along with my thanks for his service.

Had I figured out what was wrong, I could have fixed it with the tool kit. Tighten two phillip shead screws.

regards
mech

RedDevil 02-02-2015 05:05 PM

Ticked all the breakdown boxes, then saw it was bike related...
Doesn't matter, still true.
(Why am I smiling about it?)
;)

bannie 02-03-2015 02:21 PM

My Honda sputtered to a stop in the middle of a downpour / rainstorm.

Turned out that the air filter housing assembly wasn't completely sealed / tightened properly, and water was getting into the carb and sputtering out.