EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Side Skirts: First Prototype Complete (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/side-skirts-first-prototype-complete-26057.html)

Diesel_Dave 06-03-2013 12:20 PM

Side Skirts: First Prototype Complete

I got my first attempt at side skirts done:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-di...-prototype.jpg
For right now, they extend down about 9 inches, leaving about 5 inches of clearance. I only did the driver side for now, I want to see if that's enough clearance before making the final versions. After seeing this one, it's also clear to me that I want to extend it a little more in the front and quite a bit in the back. The reason this one is the length it is is that it's 8 feet (the length of the thermo-ply panel I had).

I attached the panel via some fender washers and the pre-existing holes on the inside of the body panels:

I should be able to get the passenger side skirt done tonight. Eventually, I think I'll make some nicer, painted version. The nice part was that I had everything except the fender washers lying around already.

California98Civic 06-03-2013 12:53 PM

Nice and clean and secure. One pointer to think about. The side skirts under semi trucks sweep outward as they go back so that they are about even with the out plane of the rear tires when they reach them. Maybe that's an advantageous design for you too? Also, can you take it back a little further, closer to the rear tire?

Diesel_Dave 06-03-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 374491)
Nice and clean and secure. One pointer to think about. The side skirts under semi trucks sweep outward as they go back so that they are about even with the out plane of the rear tires when they reach them. Maybe that's an advantageous design for you too? Also, can you take it back a little further, closer to the rear tire?

Yeah, I definitely will take them back farther.

Actually, I've lloked at the skirts are trucks are fairly flat--but so are the body panels of the trailers. Plus, the tires are fully under the trailer. Unfortuantely, on my truck the body pansle slope inward and tehy go towards the ground, leaving the bottom side of the tires sticking out. So far I haven't come up with a good, clean way of flaring the skirt out.

Xist 06-03-2013 01:06 PM

That looks good and I hope that you see good results!

Are they flush with the outside of the wheels? I have been thinking lately about people who make boat-tail fairings and wonder if it would be better to just build something the width of the tires in between. That seems much simpler than trying to craft the perfect boat tail.

I guess that would be like what you have done, but with an inner skirt. I am not sure that a bottom would really do any good, except for rigidity, and that might be unwelcome.

Diesel_Dave 06-03-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 374497)
Are they flush with the outside of the wheels?

No. Ideally they would be, but they fall about in the middle of the tires.

kach22i 06-03-2013 07:08 PM

Looks like a nice start.

redneck 06-03-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Diesel_Dave

Actually, I've looked at the skirts are trucks are fairly flat--but so are the body panels of the trailers. Plus, the tires are fully under the trailer. Unfortunately, on my truck the body panels slope inward and they go towards the ground, leaving the bottom side of the tires sticking out. So far I haven't come up with a good, clean way of flaring the skirt out.

You could look for some old school full length Aluminium running boards.
Put them on the truck, then attach the skirts to them. It would make it easier to get in and out of the truck and also keep the truck cleaner. If you couldn't find them, you could have them fabricated to meet your specs.
(height, length, width and flair)

Or.

Before going through all that trouble. You could find a home siding contractor that has a 10' brake and have them brake some of the aluminum coil that they use for corner and fascia trim into the shape needed. It even comes in white.

Then if you wanted to, you could reinforce the back side by gluing or pop riveting or bolting coroplast or some other material. Add a few diagonal struts, fill the ends in with some mud flap material and done.

The last option could be had as cheap as a $20 bill and a 12 pack of suds at quitting time.

Anyways, just a few ideas.

>

UltArc 06-03-2013 10:08 PM

What do you think about taking it to the ground, but the lower portion being brissels? I noticed on a few tractor trailers recently, but I wonder why it doesn't meet the ground. I mean, the portion that is too long will just wear down...its not metal or strong to damage anything.

As it hits the ground and wears down, it adjusts to the perfect height. Just an idea. I look forward to following.

redneck 06-03-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 374595)
What do you think about taking it to the ground, but the lower portion being brissels? I noticed on a few tractor trailers recently, but I wonder why it doesn't meet the ground. I mean, the portion that is too long will just wear down...its not metal or strong to damage anything.

As it hits the ground and wears down, it adjusts to the perfect height. Just an idea. I look forward to following.

If I'm not mistaken, the brissels are used to reduce road spray when it's raining and not for aerodynamic mpg reasons.

>

freebeard 06-04-2013 02:01 AM

IIRC basjoos' Civic has double sidewalls flushed to the inside and outside of the tires.

What do you think about crosswind performance?

Aircraft Hanger Door Brush Seal. Available in 2-6" length in 6' sections.