Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Starter

I don't post much, but I had an idea. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ model) and I have done some mods. I get almost 20mpg highway, while still driving like an animal. Lately though, I have been driving short distance back and forth to school.

I have noticed that I eat gas on the whole starting process, so I thought I would throw it out here and see what comes back.

I'm thinking to improve the starting procedure. This could be anything from a modified starter gear ratio or higher power for starter to increase engine speed, delayed timing for the fuel delivery until engine is cranking faster, etc.

It's common for Jeepers to swap junkyard parts from other vehicles, so I'm thinking something like swapping the starter motor, or parts, etc.

I thought I'd see what other ideas people had regarding the topic before I start, so fire away.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
My take on it is to upgrade the primary cabling from batt to starter to ground, etc. I used Jeepers & Creepers for cabling, plus an article from the audio phreaks entitled (something like) "The Big Three Audio Upgrade". Our little I6-4.0 XJ fires right off.

Your starter may benefit from a bench overhaul with improved starter contacts (or just replacements). Same for starter ground: grind to bare, coat with NO-Alox or similar.

Obviously, the best battery as well. I'll try an ODYSSEY next.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Not much you can do with the starting process other than get a whole nother engine or vehicle.

The starter itself doesn't use measurable amounts of fuel. The fuel injection system (or carburetor) provides extra fuel during cranking and for a while until the engine warms up to operating temperature, and that's where most of the extra fuel usage comes from.

The engine needs that to run when it's cold, so there's not a lot you can do about it. Except a block heater, if you can find a place to plug in.

-soD
Old 10-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey, I love both ideas...They are good places to start. Sorry if I'm thinking off the wall but I'm thinking outside the box on the block heater. What about some sort of immersion heater in the oil pan and a small submersible type pump to pump the warm oil to the top. Have that scenario plugged into a switched outlet or something so that you could turn it on or off whenever it's needed.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
modify starter