EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Simple antenna aero mod (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/simple-antenna-aero-mod-2617.html)

Johnny Mullet 05-28-2008 08:53 PM

Simple antenna aero mod

So you want to help your vehicle get better aerodynamics by removing exterior options, but don't want to lose radio reception? Do a simple relocation of your original antenna then. My 1998 Metro radio antenna was broken off and I got tired of listening to the same old CD's all the time. A replacement antenna was cheap enough, but I am Hypermiling here and don't want an external radio mast sticking out of the body. I found a used antenna from an old car at a yard sale for $0.50 cents and decided to get some radio reception finally.

First thing was to remove the "A" pillar trim by pulling it off and sliding the antenna down the pillar. I plugged the antenna into the radio and put the trim piece back on. I decided to have mine stick out slightly to also use it for holding receipts, toll tickets, etc. You then need to find a rubber grommet or piece of plastic to cover the original antenna mounting hole.

Here are a couple pics.................

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...etf/ant003.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...etf/ant004.jpg

ankit 05-28-2008 09:20 PM

That's beast. I wonder if you can just run a wire using it as an antenna because that is what I have done to my cd player in my room. The wire runs from the player to around my windows and I get better reception than with the little antenna that came with it.

MetroMPG 05-28-2008 09:24 PM

Clever mod - thanks for posting!

Question: is the original antenna accessible through removing the A pillar trim, or does it run inside the pillar?

SVOboy 05-28-2008 10:47 PM

Pretty sweet idea, woulda never thought of it, I just took mine out...

i_am_socket 05-29-2008 11:39 AM

I just printed out the necessary steps for removing my antenna from the official repair manual for my car. It's 6 pages long and requires removing the head liner, rear seat backs, etc for a total of 35 steps before re-assembly.

I think I'll hold off on this mod until I have a free 3 day weekend ;) Very nifty solution though!

lunarhighway 05-29-2008 05:47 PM

my previous car didn't have an antenna so when i wanted a radio i got an internal antenna... it was a bit pricy around 40 euros but worked great so no regrets... basically its sort of a strip that you stick to the top of the front windshield and than run a wire to the radio behind the a pillar liner, as is shown above.

of course if you can get away with a standard antenna on the inside thats even better, but should you run into reception problems you might want to look into these things, they have an internal signal amplifier and imho they're just as good if not superior to normal antenna's

now i'm stuck with a electric telescope antenna... looks cool but i hate the look of it in my mirror... it just screams drag (while in all honesty it's probably not that terrible in perspective.... and i can always leave the radio off, but at some point i'll refit that interior antenna)

TheDon 05-29-2008 11:57 PM

My antenna is retractable... woo. It extends to like 2.5 feet! I get great reception

rocket 06-02-2008 09:09 PM

my '73 el camino has its antenna built into the windshield. would be nice to be able to do it myself

mopo3 06-02-2008 11:18 PM

I removed my antenna, it was a simple un-screw style. I took the wire running out of my radio and sliced it with some old speaker wire that was already in the car, and my reception is just fine. My rear defroster is broken so there was always the option of hooking the wire into there to increase the length of the antenna.

http://picasaweb.google.com/matthewm...10700467206594

Tourigjm 07-26-2008 11:05 AM

I just discovered that my antenna is manually retractable from like 2' long to nothing. I usually listen to my iPod anyway (direct hook up & control through headunit = awesome)

when its retracted all the way the housing barely sticks out 0.5" from the A pillar anyway

RP-CLMBR 07-28-2008 06:01 AM

annttena mod

I was told that you could hook into the rear defrost for a window anttena,also there are vortex generator antenas on ebay like the insight but shorter I plan on shaving mine on my crx hf will probably put oem ant. in side like you have done johnny

lunarhighway 07-28-2008 06:36 AM

i've seen amplifiers on sale that allow the rear defroster to be used a an antenna, but i don't think you could just hook them up directly... however a separate FM antenna wire might work when placed along the edge of a window

Gregte 07-28-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunarhighway (Post 48307)
i've seen amplifiers on sale that allow the rear defroster to be used a an antenna, but i don't think you could just hook them up directly... however a separate FM antenna wire might work when placed along the edge of a window

Just connect a 0.01 or even 0.001 microfarad capacitor between the antenna's coaxial center conductor and the defroster element. This eliminates the possibility of the defroster's DC signal harming the radio receiver and yet it will not attenuate the radio signal any significant amount. In fact, the receiver may already have an internal cap of even smaller value in the antenna input line, but if you don't know if it does, inserting the .01 externally covers that base.

Gregte 07-28-2008 09:26 AM

Any old piece of wire of similar length will work every bit as good as a stock car radio antenna. The location (inside, somewhat shielded from radio signals, or outside in the clear) and to a lesser extent, orientation of the antenna (vertical or horizontal) are the important factors. If your desired stations' signal strengths are strong enough then virtually any hunk of wire, placed anywhere in the car, will do the job.

lunarhighway 07-28-2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

virtually any hunk of wire, placed anywhere in the car, will do the job.
quite right... when the antenna wire of the radio at work disappeared (boss took it home for personal use... ), we took a broken charger from the recycle bin and cut the wire off, stripped of the end and incerted it into the FM plug... reception is better than before

wagonman76 07-28-2008 12:49 PM

How well does the relocated antenna work, being inside the car steel? Any noticeable reduction in reception?

cfg83 07-28-2008 02:15 PM

Johnny M -

After reading your thread I got my act together and copy-catted this one from saturnfans.com :

Free Stealth Antenna Mod w/ Pics - SaturnFans Forums
Quote:

Here is a stealth antenna mod that costs nothing and works very well. (done on a '96 SL2)

Tools needed:
1. #15 torx driver
2. 10mm wrench
3. pliers
4. flat head screw driver

Step 1: remove door jam shield (in front of the side mirror) by unscrewing the torx screw inside the door jam.

Step 2: remove weather panel by unscrewing the five torx screws just above the weather stripping around the top of the door.

Step 3: Unscrew antenna with pliers (or adjustable wrench). Remove the screw on the antenna bracket closest to the rear of the car with 10mm wrench. Force the bracket downward on this end using the screw driver. After the bracket is at desired angle (mine was about 130 degrees) re insert the bracket screw (easiest to do with a 10mm socket wrench). Screw in the antenna.

Step 4: re-install the weather panel with the antenna underneath (careful not to harm the weather strip) and the door jam shield.

Step 5: Test your radio reception and enjoy.

I noticed no real difference in FM reception after doing this mod.

allc0re

I was afraid of reception problems. The first day I thought I was going to have problems, but I think it was in my head. It's worked fine for over a month now. This is another "S-Series only" mod that works like a charm.

CarloSW2

Johnny Mullet 07-28-2008 03:57 PM

My original antenna was broke, so I am not sure about reception, but I get all the local stations with no problem.

FunkSkunk 10-12-2008 09:24 PM

An aftermarket receiver does more for radio reception than your stock antenna will ever do! Change out to a decent name brand and you'll have a whole new world of radio stations to listen to. OR just go satellite! :)

2000mc 10-21-2008 08:03 PM

cfg83 - thanks for the saturn mod post. read it last night, did it today in about 10min. aside from the aero benefit, it will also be a nice mod for faster snow and ice removal

Sean T. 10-21-2008 10:33 PM

I unscrewed mine, and put duct tape over the post to smooth it over.

hhometro 10-22-2008 08:51 PM

what did you do about the hole that it left on the out side, does anyone have any better ideas besides duct tape

2000mc 10-22-2008 09:54 PM

that hole... awww, i wouldnt worry about that lil guy.

the hole is in the cowl at the base of the windshield, the gap between it and the fender has more open space than the hole left behind does. and i figure that hole doesnt create much drag as compared to the mast that used to grow out of it.

but yea, its on my list... it would be part of sealing all body gaps when i get to that stage. right now i'm focusing more on figuring out how i'm going to make my belly pan, then a smaller air dam close to the front edge of the car that will wrap around to act kinda like tire spats, then wheel skirts.... moving the mast is low hanging fruit compared to an attractive fix for the hole

Johnny Mullet 10-23-2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hhometro (Post 68784)
what did you do about the hole that it left on the out side, does anyone have any better ideas besides duct tape

Black electrical tape with the edges rounded off looks pretty decent.

wagonman76 10-24-2008 12:25 PM

I folded up a piece of plastic, and then put back on the thin black plastic retainer to hold it down. It should at least help keep an exposed hole from rusting out.

Arctic Fox 10-26-2008 02:36 AM

This may be of interest for those not completely removing antennas: Estimation of The Drag of a Roof Mounted Antenna

I've antennas mounted that are angled back about 30°. I can't feel any effects in aerodynamics, but know there should be a difference.

There's also this: Prius Shark fin Antenna

groar 10-26-2008 10:07 AM

Last week-end, we were going to have a trip. While I was preparing the car, the baby reseted the radio station list... I unfolded the antenna into a vertical position to optimize the reception and restarted the channel scan.

During the trip, as soon as we reached the 80km/h (50mph) we could hear a whistling and it was really loud at 120km/h (75mph). After 20 minutes and several stops for inspections, I remembered about the antenna, stopped, and folded the antenna as horizontally as possible.

Guess... the whistling immediately disappeared :)

Denis.

allc0re 01-24-2009 12:23 PM

RE: Saturn mod

Funny, I had all but forgotten about that post on SaturnFans. I just stumbled across this site and it seems to suit my interests. I think I'll do some more searching and update my profile here. I was getting 41 MPG highway with that Saturn SL2 mentioned in the antenna mod post. I now own a Ford Ranger because of where I live and the road conditions here. I am on a mission to increase my mileage. Glad to have found a community of people who think like I do. Consider this my first post. Happy to be here. :)

winkosmosis 01-24-2009 01:37 PM

To cover the antenna spot you can use those plugs they put on faucet holes. Someone on miata.net did that.

BTW, I'd try to put the antenna somewhere that it's not next to metal, because the steel of the body will block the signal from that direction.

trikkonceptz 01-24-2009 01:53 PM

You can also visit any sign shop in your area and ask for a small piece of vinyl that most closely matches your vehicle.

BTW on the Vibe I think the antennae angle matches that of the windshield, therefore I have plans to remove the antennae completely and remount the antennae in the center of my dash up against the windshield.

crexcrex 01-24-2009 04:18 PM

antennas

aerodynamic antennas for18.95 plug n play courtesy of crexcrex.

crexcrex 01-24-2009 07:39 PM

Custom made antenna's

Custom made aerodynamic antenna's $ 18.95........side, roof mount or underdash.........

crexcrex 01-25-2009 02:34 AM

More info re the aerodynamic antenna's, they are made of a thermoset plastic and can be designed to suit your vehicle inclusive of effectively covering previous antenna mount holes. They are set with double back tape and come in high gloss black or grey primer, they can be painted to color match your vehicle..............for the low price of 18.95

Serious responses please........

winkosmosis 01-25-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkSkunk (Post 66803)
An aftermarket receiver does more for radio reception than your stock antenna will ever do! Change out to a decent name brand and you'll have a whole new world of radio stations to listen to. OR just go satellite! :)

I've read that aftermarket headunits are usually worse than stock.

crexcrex 01-26-2009 01:38 AM

re antenna's

You read? that after market are worse? give your head a shake, you obviously know nothing about antenna's...........lets see if you know where the best place is for any antenna? Duh!

Frank Lee 01-26-2009 01:41 AM

I have an idea where you can place your antenna.

crexcrex 01-26-2009 01:46 AM

are you as dumb as you look? duh?

lunarhighway 01-26-2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

I have an idea where you can place your antenna.
internal antenna's where the original subject of this post ;) :eek:

Quote:

are you as dumb as you look? duh?
your marketing techniques could use a little work though imho...

do you have some pictures of what you're trying to sell? you seem very keen on selling us some of these antennae for "only $ 18.95"...so you obviously believe in the product, but calling people dumb and ugly is not a great way to raise intrest for it, or come accross as someone i'd like to do business with.

If you can show us the developement of the product and maybe the theory behind it's design , or just explain that the quality of the product is every bit the same or better as an aftermaket item, the prise is competitive, and the aero is better...than people can see what it is and decide for themselves if they think it's a good thing or not, and might want to contact you to order one.
try to come with some test, like a water wind tunnel or similar that shows the difference with a normal antenna...
or al least show that the crafsmanship alone is worth the money and that it looks sleaker than an aftermaket item.

I think you'll find this is not a comunity of people who spend on gadgets, but rather people who have fun testing out different setupt in search of improvement, even if that means haveing ductape all over their cars. So if people aren't interested in what you have to say.... bad luck... no need to keep yelling, just quietly enjoy your personal effort in the knowledge it's far supperior to those that are stuck with bad reception and taped over rust holes.

anyway, i hope we can all get along here and constructively cooperate to get some more aerodynamic cars out there.

that's all folks :cool:

crexcrex 01-26-2009 06:27 AM

withdraw remark re frank lee

My apologies frank I think that i may well have gone too far and i beleive the same could be said of yourself.

I have the ballz to apologize and it matters little whether a apology is forthcoming from you.

I beleive that it is the intent of those on ecomodders to push modding to the max to obtain the best gas mileage possible and i am of the same mind.
This wee matter of outdated car antenna's came to mind as i thought that antenna's inclusive of the rat tailed variety were a bit much. Unsightly, over priced and can be made much more effective that what is on the market today.

Sales pitch? there really was none as i was attempting to draw attention to a better way of getting rid of unsightly forests of antenna's much like way back when tv antenna's marred the various households accross canada and the USA.

Mu main concern is that like hey it would be great to share the idea's and you can then arrive at your own conclusion unfortunately there are the lurkers and members who would most definetly turn a buck at the concept.

My line of work is sculpting and i too lke all of you prefer clean unbroken lines and take exception to gawdy throwback antenna's.
The concept is super inexpensive and the shapes are varied to suit any vehicle.

I have tested the idea for three months on various vehicles and concluded that if i can obtain crystal clear radio station reception under bridges, tunnels under water this is by far beter than the newer cars that fail to receive radio transmissions under the same circumstances.

Obviously i have something even car makers do not and by far cheaper, if you have taken the time as i have to examine the exploded view of the typical antenna on the various new cars you may well be shocked to see what they have used to obtain radio signals.

Problem here is how can i market a antenna? that isn't a antenna but does better than factory or after market..............

The kicker is for every hole that is exposed can be covered without nuch ado and requires no mods re install a total of five miutes to install.

So my delemma is obvious, do i share or sell? so it would be cool to get some feedback re this issue of antenna's or in my case the lack of.

thanks for your time
crexcrex

Frank Lee 01-26-2009 07:18 AM

Gee, the sincerity of that heartfelt apology overwhelms me.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...iawoman_ap.jpg

Is production able to keep up with demand? http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...lflaughing.gif

Don't worry mods; I'm all done with this.