EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Slow progress but progress (DIY two seater tadpole trike, 9hp Honda diesel) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/slow-progress-but-progress-diy-two-seater-tadpole-26239.html)

user removed 06-25-2013 05:01 PM

Slow progress but progress (DIY two seater tadpole trike, 9hp Honda diesel)

5 Attachment(s)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...p;d=1372194027

Here are some photos of my ongoing project two seater tadpole trike, considered a motorcycle in Virginia. The engine is a 9 HP Honda Diesel 432 CC single cylinder rated for 3000 RPM sustained. The tranny is a Harley 5 speed with the rest of the (rear) drive wheel components using harley parts. The harley starter will start the otherwise manual start diesel engine.
The front end is a 1971 VW beam axle.

As you can see the shape is exactly according to the ideal aero shape posted many times on this forum.

regards
Mech

user removed 06-25-2013 05:07 PM

I'm going to use a small alternator as the primary chain tensioner. The drive will be a Harley belt design used from 1999 on. This particular one was a 2001 Dyna Softail that the owner upgraded to a high performace engine and primary belt drive, so I got all of the parts he removed from his bike from the transmission to the rear wheel, including clutch, brake components, drive belt and sprockets, rear wheel, trailing arm and the twin pull shock-springs used on the softail design. He even rebuilt the transmission for me.

regards
Mech

Xist 06-25-2013 08:51 PM

It looks great! :)

kach22i 06-25-2013 10:05 PM

This looks promising.

I'd love to see the details of steering and turning the wheels when it comes time to reveal.

Are those old style VW Beetle torsion bars up front?

lowglider 06-26-2013 09:19 AM

This is going to be awesome. How much cabin enclosure are you planning for?

MetroMPG 06-26-2013 11:06 AM

Subscribed!

RustyLugNut 06-26-2013 01:03 PM

This looks real good!

Keep it going. Subscribed.

RiderofBikes 06-26-2013 01:21 PM

2 or 1 seater? looking forward to how everything in the drive components and suspension come together. have any target cargo weight and speed or just slap it together and find its limits? Sub'd

Daox 06-26-2013 02:31 PM

Very interesting. :)

user removed 06-26-2013 02:33 PM

Side by side two seater, seats close together. No center console or transmission tunnel, cabin width less than 60 inches. Thats the center to center track width of the front tires. Basically length a little over 12 feet, width about 66 inches.

71 VW beam front axle with drum brakes. Probably the only vehicle on the planet with drum fronts and disc rear, at least for now, might put discs on the front later.
Tires are the same Bridgestones that are factory on a Smart Car.

I'm thinking roll cage with gullwing doors and a wide angle mirror above the drivers line of sight that covers the rear view completely.

Front wheels will be skirted once we get the suspension range and turning dimensions loaded and unloaded. Skirts removeable for tire repair.

Windshield and side windows will be lexan. I might try to get the front glass shaped with compound curves (bubble canopy), but for right now it will be curved to the shape of the front end, which is basically round but without a front to rear curve (if that makes any sense).

The rear drive will be configured so it could easily accomodate a different engine, or batteries and electric drive, but the long term objective is to build my patented drive for the single rear drive wheel. The Honda (single cylinder shown in picture) engine, almost .5 liter was basically a trade with my oldest brother. He got it new in the box as a donation and it has probably less than 5 hours running time.

regards
Mech