EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Smooth Wheel Covers - Success (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/smooth-wheel-covers-success-19109.html)

m.portice 10-11-2011 11:23 AM

Smooth Wheel Covers - Success

3 Attachment(s)
Ok so I wanted to make smooth wheel covers for my 2006 Suzuki Forenza since I got it (January 2011). I was reading a post on ecomodder and while I was reading it I was only aware of making the pizza pan wheel covers, but wasn't sure how I was going to fasten them to my car so I didn't really look into it any further. Anyway, I was reading a post about someone making smooth wheel covers with fiberglass resin. I looked into it and ended up doing the mod.

The results turned out great. I LOVE how they look. I do not have any real statistical data to prove that I am getting more mpg, but my hub caps before weren't that aerodynamically "dirty". The improvement in mpg is probably marginal at best, but it gives me a little piece of mind.

Oh and it turns heads like no other..

moorecomp 10-11-2011 12:14 PM

Looks good! I lived in Owosso back in the late 80's early 90's. Hope you see some nice gains in this.

Vekke 10-11-2011 12:51 PM

Very nice looking hubcaps.

Nevyn 10-11-2011 01:10 PM

Those are excellent! Do you have a picture of what they looked like before you started?

cfg83 10-12-2011 01:44 AM

m.portice -

Gorgeous execution!

CarloSW2

Weather Spotter 10-12-2011 07:31 PM

nice job

JPD 03-10-2012 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I like this mod and want to try to do it myself. I have plastic hub caps on my car and they have four plastic 'nut covers' which screw over the top of the wheel nuts.
Could anyone advise me please, should I cut out the center of the plastic hubcaps or would this destroy the strength? The center plastic covers screw onto the wheel and keep in firmly attached but if I cover with cloth and resin I would lose this function. Any advice gratefully received.

California98Civic 03-10-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPD (Post 292555)
Hi, I like this mod and want to try to do it myself. I have plastic hub caps on my car and they have four plastic 'nut covers' which screw over the top of the wheel nuts.
Could anyone advise me please, should I cut out the center of the plastic hubcaps or would this destroy the strength? The center plastic covers screw onto the wheel and keep in firmly attached but if I cover with cloth and resin I would lose this function. Any advice gratefully received.

That center is pretty smooth, and it is slightly raised. Do the lugs drop deep into the cover, mostly out of the airstream? If so, I think I would not cover the center, but just cover/fill the outer portions of the cover.

kingsway 03-10-2012 02:17 PM

Have you thought of using vinyl wrap to finish them? I think gloss white, or chrome silver could look really good!

turbothrush 03-10-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m.portice (Post 265091)
Ok so I wanted to make smooth wheel covers for my 2006 Suzuki Forenza since I got it (January 2011). I was reading a post on ecomodder and while I was reading it I was only aware of making the pizza pan wheel covers, but wasn't sure how I was going to fasten them to my car so I didn't really look into it any further. Anyway, I was reading a post about someone making smooth wheel covers with fiberglass resin. I looked into it and ended up doing the mod.

The results turned out great. I LOVE how they look. I do not have any real statistical data to prove that I am getting more mpg, but my hub caps before weren't that aerodynamically "dirty". The improvement in mpg is probably marginal at best, but it gives me a little piece of mind.

Oh and it turns heads like no other..

I missed this thread earlier . Supper idea . I could do this on my vx for like .....free Thanks for posting