EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Snow doesnt Kill Mileage... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/snow-doesnt-kill-mileage-15319.html)

320touring 11-29-2010 08:17 AM

Snow doesnt Kill Mileage...

Idiots who cant drive in it do!

Spent 1.5hrs this morning to do 25 miles getting to work. Took the backroad as the motorway was shut/jammed

The number of folk driving idiotically included

People tailgating the car in front, on packed snow- no hope of stopping.

Failing to use gears to slow the car- braking at the last minute and sliding

braking round corners, causing slides

Doing 20mph on relatively clear, straight roads (good traction/little no snow)

It always scares me how much Britiain falls apart at the first sight of Snow- Several EU/Scandanavian countries can run in snow, no problems.

Gah!

jmf 11-29-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320touring (Post 206703)
Idiots who cant drive in it do!

It always scares me how much Britiain falls apart at the first sight of Snow- Several EU/Scandanavian countries can run in snow, no problems.

It happens everywhere. There are a lot of really bad drivers but in the winter thier numbers seem to grow.

gasstingy 11-29-2010 08:43 AM

We don't appear to do much in the way of teaching people the skills needed to drive as safe as possible on slippery roads. We never test anyones skill in foul weather driving. What few times there is snow / ice on our north Alabama roads, we can always expect a BIG story on the local news showing the best accident pictures of the day. When questioned, they almost always admit to driving as if it was a clear, sunny, August day.

mcrews 11-29-2010 09:27 AM

Back in 1984, on a Sunday, it snowed 12 inches in 24 hours on San Antonio Texas (as in 'when Hell freezes over') (not that San Antonio is Hell........)

The next morning, there were over 400 accidents before 8am. The mayor closed the roads down.

I had a brand new WV Quantum Wolfsberg Edition. (think Audi 4000 with 5cylinder/5speed from Audi 5000) thankfully, the 60 series Conti tires where brand new.
It was my first experience with fwd. I had tons of fun!!!!!!

bestclimb 11-29-2010 09:42 AM

Even here the first snow/ice storm people forget how to drive. They drive like they have all the traction in the world and play lemmings in the ditch, then the day after and it is all cleared up and you do have all the traction in the world they go 12.5mph. It's pretty bad when a fairly dedicated hypermiler thinks you are going too slow.

dcb 11-29-2010 11:06 AM

I love little front wheel drive POS cars in the winter, especially with a handbrake.

bestclimb 11-29-2010 11:09 AM

hand braking puts a smile on my face every time, my wife's not so much:)

robchalmers 11-29-2010 11:58 AM

yeah, my kids love the hand brake, oddly my missus doesn't

gone-ot 11-29-2010 12:02 PM

...likewise, the southwest has similar IDJIOTS who can't drive in a "dust storm" or "sand."

320touring 11-29-2010 12:31 PM

I was wondering if i'd been too harsh..seems not:)

As for fwd .. It's dependable, safe and No fun!

did 1800miles in a month last winter in my bmw 320 with no traction or abs-much more like it:)