EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   So you don't have a ScanGauge II. Hmm What r u waiting 4? Quick read! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/so-you-dont-have-scangauge-ii-hmm-what-30079.html)

FordFiestaS 09-25-2014 01:38 PM

So you don't have a ScanGauge II. Hmm What r u waiting 4? Quick read!

I have a 2013 Ford Fiesta S, which is a 5 speed, and I'm going to quickly tell you what a difference a ScanGauge makes in mileage.

I've got about 25,000 miles on it and bought it new for $13,900.

I've always tracked my mileage tank after tank religiously.

I've always got around 41-42 MPG Hwy & 32-33 around town.

I bought the ScanGauge II and it "modified" my driving habits considerably.

I now an obsessed with the Guage and it's resulting output.

I never knew that the Fiesta shut down the fuel injectors @ anything over 1,500 RPM's with your foot of the throttle. Yes really. That's using no fuel thus no horsepower thus greater gas mileage going downhill in gear rather than coasting in neutral. Did you know that?

With a ScanGauge you learn that and lots more.

I now get, using pen and paper, just over 48 MPG with mostly highway driving.

Moral of the story.... Get a ScanGauge II & the sooner the better.

Daox 09-25-2014 01:40 PM

Good testimonial. Instrumentation makes a huge difference. :thumbup:

FordFiestaS 09-25-2014 01:53 PM

So I'm a "Codfish"?

CODFISH

Coast On Demand Forced Ignition Shutoff. Same as "EOC" (Engine Off Coasting). A joke acronym made up to poke fun at the ridiculous tendency of hypermilers to create and use an excessive number of acronyms/initialisms. Unfortunately, the person who made it up has since stopped participating in fuel efficiency forums, and taken his sense of humour elsewhere.

This is from the Ecomodder glossary.

*** So... My coasting in gear, downhill, w/rpm's over 1,500 using no fuel is not necessarily a new venture? LOL.

MetroMPG 09-25-2014 02:57 PM

Makes things way more fun too, doesn't it?

FordFiestaS 09-25-2014 03:00 PM

It's interesting/amazing how it consumes yo. You try and grasp every tenth of a mile per gallon you can.

I'm addicted. Lol!

Mustang Dave 09-25-2014 07:53 PM

I bought a ScanGauge II about a year before I found ecomodder.com. I didn't realize my Mustang had DFCO until I observed 9999 inst MPG on the ScanGauge II. About the time I found ecomodder.com, the ScanGauge II had helped me get my Mustang up to 30 MPG; with more improvements over the last 5 years since I found ecomodder.com. Current lifetime average is 29.9 MPG - 49.5% over EPA combined. :)
Instrumentation is the most important mod because it helps you make the most effective mod: adjusting the nut behind the steering wheel.:thumbup:

Miller88 09-26-2014 04:11 PM

My '11 focus has aggressive DFCO.

With the bad motor mounts, I can feel it kicking the engine back on when I'm slowing down in gear.

Gasoline Fumes 09-27-2014 07:26 AM

Sometimes I wonder if instrumentation would improve my fuel economy. :)

mechman600 09-27-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes (Post 447605)
Sometimes I wonder if instrumentation would improve my fuel economy. :)

I think you know the answer to that!

Be aware that if you are trying to coast, DFCO should be used as a last resort. Why? It all comes down to engine speed. In order to DFCO, the revs have to be above 1500, which takes considerable more energy than idling at 700. Sure, no fuel is being used during DFCO, but it still requires energy, which is provided by the kinetic energy of your coasting vehicle, which was previously provided by gasoline (accelerating up to speed). You can feel the energy loss - the way the vehicle decelerates quicker when you are in DFCO vs neutral coasting.

While it is neat to see DFCO appear on your ScanGauge, the general consensus around here is that if you want the most efficient coast, you do it in neutral, engine idling. Yes, it is still burning fuel, but your vehicle will coast much much further in neutral, and the engine will only need to turn at idle speed. And if the coast is timed correctly, it will actually provide a net savings over DFCO in the end.

Many like myself take it once step further will a kill switch. Long coasts with zero fuel make it even better!

FordFiestaS 09-27-2014 10:07 AM

Coasting neutral vs in gear my quick thoughts

I only leave it in gear and coast when I would otherwise have to use brakes to maintain posted speed limits, keeping the rpm's above 1,500 in the case of my Fiesta S. The fuel cut off point for it.

Otherwise yes, I coast in neutral always.

An I correct in my thoughts?