Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

Tree Catcher - '94 Acura Integra LS
90 day: 32.12 mpg (US)

The Old Dog - '92 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 31.58 mpg (US)
Ingegra with Lean Burn VX motor?

I know a lot of Civic tuner guys like to take the Integra motors and stuff them in their Civics, so I was wondering if the inverse would be just as possible and relatively easy. Take a Civic VX lean burn motor, transmission and ecu and toss it into an integra. I'm thinking I could do this nearly for free as I should be able to sell or trade my B18/tranny and ecu for the VX stuff, and maybe have some cash left over.

Thoughts? Experience?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-04-2011, 03:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junkyard Engineer

Super-Metro! - '92 Geo Metro Base

$250 Pizza Delivery Car - '91 Geo Metro Base
Team Metro
90 day: 43.75 mpg (US)

Fronty the wonder truck - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
I can't see why not. Then again, I don't see why you would do it. If your purpose in building this car is max MPG, the Civic hatch is a better choice because it is a lighter car.
No green technology will ever make a substantive environmental impact until it is economically viable for most people to use it. This must be from a reduction in net cost of the new technology, not an increase in the cost of the old technology through taxation

(Note: the car sees 100% city driving and is EPA rated at 37 mpg city)
Old 01-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I'm not sure abut the wiring harness matching up but the engine should bolt in just fine with plenty of room as the intergra has lots of extras like power steering that you might as well get rid of as well to save weight and take the load off the engine.
If you can however, you might try doing outright trade to some kid who has a civic VX and wants a faster car.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
If you can however, you might try doing outright trade to some kid who has a civic VX and wants a faster car.
that would be my advice, unless your just aching for a major project.
plus, no matter what you might think, something ALWAYS comes up that would force you to spend more $$ than originally planned.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
The D-series Engines (civic motors) have been swapped into Integras before, it basically comes down to wiring.

Heck, In Japan, they even have a D-Series powered four wheel drive Integra:
Integra ZXi
But in the newer "DC" chassis, they had D-Series powered ones as well. Although they had the 127HP D-Series motors in them.

the D15Z1 from the VX coupled with that long gearing and heavier chassis would make a for very slow take off from any dead stop, but if you have the means and the know-how and the patients for it..go for it!

Old 01-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Rooster's Integra appears to be the two door hatch, correct? I think it's a 2,500 pound car so about as heavy as the vx with it full of people... dropping the power steering, a/c and putting lighter weight wheels on it will help a fair amount but then again doing that with his stock engine will help as well.
The advantage of trading for a stock civic vx is that you get more cargo space, larger back seat, stock wiring harness and nothing is hacked together so trouble shooting any future problems with the car will be easier.
Advantage of an engine swap is that you get to keep your current car along with knowing what work has already been done to it, you get the sporty feel of the lower bucket seats, sleeker dash and sporty outer appearance.
I would personally wait until you found an Inegra that had a blown engine, altho my neighbor though that was the case with her's (same year as yours) and I was temped to buy it for an engine swap but it turned out that with 340,000 miles on it it just needed a tune up.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

This is my go-the-cheap-route option. I've thought of getting a VX or CRX but those cars are already as old as mine, or older. The other option I was considering was picking up a used 1st gen Insight. That way I at least get a car less than 10 years old with less than 100k miles on it. Been seeing them for sale in the $6-9k range. But the whole battery thing worries me. But something like this;

Cars for Sale: 2002 Honda Insight Hybrid in La Puente, CA 91744: Hatchback Details - 290173215 - AutoTrader.com

or this;

Cars for Sale: 2002 Honda Insight Hybrid in Whittier, CA 90605: Hatchback Details - 284627160 - AutoTrader.com
Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

that blue Honda Insight with the 5 speed... I can't figure out why it is that cheap! if it was around here with twice that many miles on it it would already be gone for that price.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
that blue Honda Insight with the 5 speed... I can't figure out why it is that cheap! if it was around here with twice that many miles on it it would already be gone for that price.
It blue books for $8,330 Retail. Private Party in Good condition is $6,280. It does seem like a good deal. Is there a way to tell if the battery still has decent capacity left in it?

I liked the CVT with 57k miles...because of the miles.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The CVT insights only got around 55mpg while the 5 speed could get 70mpg pretty easly, check the EPA numbers for sure.
someone a few weeks back had asked how to check the Honda Civic Hybrid battery while doing a test drive, the drive train on the two cars is of the same design, just different size engines and motors, that thread should be pretty easy to find, but I think it basically came down to accelerate hard a few times so it's using the battery and see how it responds.

Reply  Post New Thread