EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   The State Doesn't Like My Cat Anymore (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/state-doesnt-like-my-cat-anymore-32450.html)

jeff88 07-25-2015 03:04 PM

The State Doesn't Like My Cat Anymore

I went to my local smog station the other day and he started jacking up my car and looking underneath which I've never seen before for this procedure. After he was done he said that my cat is not compliant with the state. For some reason California decided to change which cats they are OK with and which ones they are not and they didn't grandfather in the invalid ones. I've had this one for multiple smog tests, but now all of a sudden it's a problem.

So... I've been reading up on cats and everywhere I read it seems that it really doesn't effect FE which cat you decide to go with, none of them will make a noticeable difference in FE.

After researching, my only question is this: does it matter if I go with a direct fit for $300 versus a universal for $150? Labor cost doesn't matter, my friend/mechanic will be doing it. I don't have an aftermarket exhaust system, everything is stock. Does one work better, provide better FE, or last longer?

Thanks!

redpoint5 07-25-2015 03:40 PM

I would quit CA. Hell would have to freeze over before I changed a perfectly good cat just because a corrupt politician who has a friend in the cat business passed a new law.

How much is it to get a fake smog pass?

Xist 07-25-2015 07:18 PM

Is it possible that you could go elsewhere and they would not jack up your car?

We have a Facebook page?! :)

P-hack 07-25-2015 08:38 PM

I think the guy is full of crap, where does it say you have to run out and get a new converter? stick the thing in there and test it already, or deal with the better business bureau and anything else you can come up with.

"Affected converters sold on or before their rescission or withdrawal date, are legal for use
and installation in California. "
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/catrescind.pdf

If he refuses to do the testing on a legal vehicle, I imagine you could threaten to have his ability to test vehicles for the state removed.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...xemptcat09.pdf
Aftermarket Catalytic Converters

jeff88 07-26-2015 02:24 PM

I think I'll get a second opinion from a place I used to go to when I lived nearby them. Maybe I won't need to replace the cat if they just do it. Hopefully he won't charge me too much since I already paid the $50 to the first guy (he isn't going to charge me to re-test, so I wasn't worried about it).

Baltothewolf 07-26-2015 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 488032)
I would quit CA. Hell would have to freeze over before I changed a perfectly good cat just because a corrupt politician who has a friend in the cat business passed a new law.

How much is it to get a fake smog pass?

200, And more and more of them get caught every year.

hamsterpower 07-27-2015 04:58 AM

I'm fairly certain that in CA only the OEM cat is legal. Absolutely no universal or aftermarket cat will pass a visual inspection.

Fat Charlie 07-27-2015 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff88 (Post 488026)
After researching, my only question is this: does it matter if I go with a direct fit for $300 versus a universal for $150? Labor cost doesn't matter, my friend/mechanic will be doing it. I don't have an aftermarket exhaust system, everything is stock. Does one work better, provide better FE, or last longer?

Thanks!

Asking your friend/mechanic to install a part is one thing. Asking him to customize your exhaust is something else. Go direct fit.

Direct fit cats, OE-style O2s and plugs. It's always best to appease your car's machine spirit.

97-civic-ex 07-27-2015 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamsterpower (Post 488117)
I'm fairly certain that in CA only the OEM cat is legal. Absolutely no universal or aftermarket cat will pass a visual inspection.

"universal" is fine as longas it is cali certified.

Do you see the links at the bottom of magnaflows page:

The Official Site of MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - Exhaust Systems For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

All the cali cerifed FOR YOUR SPECIFIC CAR on that page would be "legal" to use. The term universal fit just means it has no flanges so the installation would require some sort of welding.

For the most part magnaflow would have a cali certified universal and a bolt on for most cars. So either one would work.

OP, as long as your mechnic friend is ok welding on exhaust, either one will work just fine. The are the same core. The bolt on just have the proper flanges to directly bolt on to your car as the original one did.

P-hack 07-27-2015 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamsterpower (Post 488117)

Why don't you look it up?!? I just posted information from a ca.gov site to the contrary!!!