EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Steam power... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/steam-power-40073.html)

redneck 03-16-2022 09:44 AM

Steam power...

This put a big ole smile :) on my face.

I love the ingenuity...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfGjIUeZR7g

:turtle:

>

freebeard 03-16-2022 12:04 PM

No condenser simplifies the design. Wood gas:

Carro movido a lenha! (Benedito Novo - SC)

Subtitles available. Where's [copy]cRiPpLe_rOoStEr[paste] when you need him?

RustyLugNut 03-16-2022 07:30 PM

Steam efficiencies may be low . . .

. . . but the ability to fuel the engine with a wide variety of fuels keeps them viable in low industrial countries.

Isaac Zachary 03-16-2022 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyLugNut (Post 664723)
. . . but the ability to fuel the engine with a wide variety of fuels keeps them viable in low industrial countries.

With what's going on in the world, I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea for high industrial countries to make fuel diversified vehicles too...

Natural gas conversion...??

freebeard 03-16-2022 10:19 PM

Human/electric hybrid.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-17-2022 12:10 AM

More than a suitability to "unconventional" fuels, nowadays I'd be more concerned about the viability of using non-drinkable reclaimed water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 664704)
Where's [copy]cRiPpLe_rOoStEr[paste] when you need him?

Taking the dog for a walk? On a sidenote, I'm sure you would love the nearly stock '84 Passat Special that I spotted in the afternoon, the only mismatching feature were the light-alloy rims IIRC of the GTS.

basjoos 03-17-2022 09:40 PM

That steam engine would be much more efficient if he removed the cooling fins from that repurposed air cooled engine cylinder. With steam power, you want to do all that you can to minimize heat loss from the expanding steam in the cylinder, which is why the most efficient steam engines are multi (up to quadruple) expansion engines.

If you aren’t familiar with it, look up the Doble steam car, which was the most powerful and efficient steam car ever made. It’s engine was also used in a steam powered airplane that is now in the Smithsonian. Jay Leno has several Doble cars and has a good video showing the ingenious mechanism in how they worked.

freebeard 03-17-2022 11:28 PM

Good point. OTOH 7.2M views in 2 weeks.

The Doble was far more advanced compared with Stanley's Steamer.
Quote:

www.hemmings.com › stories › article › steaming-sensation-1925-doble
In 1914, Doble drove a car he had constructed to Detroit, where he obtained the financial backing to produce a steam-powered car called the Doble Detroit. This was the first Doble vehicle to use a forced draft burner that allowed the operator to get up a head of steam in seconds. It also used a Doble-designed two-cylinder, double-acting engine.

Isaac Zachary 03-18-2022 10:36 AM

The Doble cars were amazing! I've heard rumors that they got 30mpg in a 6,000lb vehicle and also would have met current California air pollution standards. These cars were also very sporty for their time period and were comparible to a Duesenburg.

The Stanley's were known for being the first to make a car go two miles per minute (120mph) and had a production car that could hit 60mph but not maintain that speed from what I understand. However, the Doble could maintain a very high speed.

JSH 03-18-2022 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary (Post 664728)
With what's going on in the world, I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea for high industrial countries to make fuel diversified vehicles too...

Natural gas conversion...??

Electric vehicle are about the most fuel diversified vehicles you can get. They can be powered by solar, wind, hydro, wave, natural gas, propane, coal, diesel, gasoline, ethanol, nuclear ....