EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   For Sale (https://ecomodder.com/forum/sale.html)
-   -   Stumbled across this unicorn in Denver - 92 VX 67k! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/stumbled-across-unicorn-denver-92-vx-67k-31877.html)

GoGreenAuto 05-04-2015 01:03 PM

Stumbled across this unicorn in Denver - 92 VX 67k!

1 Attachment(s)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1430764876

1992 Honda Civic Vx, 67K miles, A/C, Completely Stock

MetroMPG 05-04-2015 02:43 PM

Wow.

Also wow: asking $9k.

Here's the text of the ad, for posterity (because that link is going to die when the ad expires)...

Quote:

1992 Honda Civic Vx
Tahitian Green Pearl Exterior (it's actually Blue)
Grey Cloth Interior
67,300 Miles
5-Speed Manual
Zero Rust
Completely Stock (except the stereo, but stock head unit is available)
Working Factory Air Conditioning
Excellent Vx Wheels
Rear Hatch Cover
Factory Clock
All exterior Vx trim intact
Colorado / California Car -- Colorado originated Emissions, 5-Wire Oxygen Sensor emissions = better fuel economy.

This is the cleanest, lowest mileage Honda Civic Vx in the country. Between my brother and I we have had three low mileage Civic Vx's. This one is by far the nicest. It has 67,300 documented original miles, and comes in the highly sought after 1992 specific stock color Tahitian Green Pearl (more blue than green). It is a two-owner car that started in Colorado, went to Southern California, and now it's back in Colorado. The first owner was a pastor who sold it in 2001 to a Honda enthusiast who also owns an Acura NSX. He took it to California in 2005 and drove it sparingly. The second owner lived in a zip code in San Diego County that did not require emissions testing after the initial test (which it passed), so 2005 is the last entry in the Carfax at just over 33,000 miles. The title is clean, no accidents or damage. If you are a Vx fanatic and follow the market you probably recognize this car. Below is a full description and what I have done to it.

1992 was the best year for the Honda Civic VX as it was the lightest and the Tahitian Green Pearl was a one-year only color run. This VX comes with original factory A/C (an option not many paid for in 1992) that blows ice cold. It also has the original rear hatch privacy screen (which they never have), the original clock (an extremely rare factory option), and intermittent wipers (the only post factory option, which was done by Honda and is from an EG generation Civic DX)!

Exterior: The condition of the car is excellent. It has zero rust. I have included pictures of the underside. The car came to me with tint, which I had professionally removed. The paint is very nice. It has a few typical rock chips on the hood. There is a little road rash on the bumpers, but nothing bad, the worst in on the left rear. There is a small clear coat spot peeling on the roof just behind the driver's door. The black trim and plastic work is all present and intact. The Vx specific front splitter and fog light blanks are fuel saving design features and present on this car, the splitter is often missing and they are hard to come by. The Vx specific wheels are another fuel saving design; they are super light to reduce unsprung weight. I spent hours carefully removing brake dust deposits and restoring them to excellent condition.

Interior: The interior is fantastic. It shows the time capsule nature of this Vx and the tint, which I had removed, saved the interior. There are no rips, tears, or smells. It has never been smoked in. The cloth seats are in excellent shape. The seat bolsters are not worn or torn. The headliner is not sagging in the front like so many do. The steering wheel rubber is firm, not loose like many high-mileage Honda's. The factory spare tire, jack, and lug wrench are present. The early Vx lightweight rear cargo floor is not caved in. The rear hatch window struts have been replaced with Honda units and are firm. The Kenwood stereo is a period correct and sounds great, but we have a stock Vx head unit available. All functions work correctly as they should. There is a piece of tape on the bottom of the driver's side door panel that I assume the previous owner put there to secure a broken tap (see pics).

Mechanical: Mechanically this car needs nothing. On my inspection I couldn't find much to do. I gave it an oil change and spark plugs using OEM Honda parts. The D15Z1 engine with VTEC-E does everything it is supposed to. Once warmed up it drops into low idle and lean burn sips fuel below 2500 RPM's. A 2500 RPM's the VTEC-E kicks in and it pulls strong all the way to redline, stronger than any of our other Vx's. The clutch does not slip. The brakes are good. There are no driveline or wheel bearing vibrations. The suspension bushings are solid, not worn or dry rotted (see pics from below). The exhaust is not rusty. The Kumho Solus tires have greater than 50% tread left.

If you are a Vx fanatic and follow the market, you probably recognize this car. We bought it on eBay in March as a keeper, but have since needed to devote funds for other projects, hence our reason for selling. Seeing and driving it in person, it is every bit as good as it looks. I can't wait to see the enthusiasm of whoever gets this car. After shipping it to Colorado, I did extensive detailing and PDR work to the exterior, removed the tint, and gave it a basic tune up. It is a turn-key car. I would argue a Civic Vx this clean is more rare than a low mileage Acura NSX. Good luck finding another one this nice, because you won't. Here is your chance.

user removed 05-04-2015 02:52 PM

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ted-31745.html

It could get a little snarky in this thread, quick $3k flip.

regards
mech

MetroMPG 05-04-2015 03:00 PM

You're on top of things! Way to tie threads together. :)

Iexpedite 05-04-2015 03:32 PM

Not snarky on my part. If someone on this forum wants to pay $9K for a very nice VX, so be it. I just want them to make an informed decision and not find out after the fact.

drainoil 05-04-2015 09:04 PM

And all this with gasoline relatively still cheap here in the states. If (when) it goes up over $5/gallon what would the asking price be on something like this?

Iexpedite 05-05-2015 11:00 AM

At $5. per gallon it is still too steep. If you drive 12K per year with a car that averages 48MPG (my VX's lifetime avg) you would save $625 per year over a 32MPG car. It would take nearly 5 years to save the extra $3K premium the new owner tacked on to this particular car. That's without considering the depreciation you would experience on the VX after reaching (the less than unicorn status) 127K miles.

Part 2:
Most people buy an economy car in addition to the old family mobile. That means instead of saving on insurance they would just add another car to the policy further reducing the benefits of the fuel economy.

The car I sold a few months ago was a much better deal. It went for $2800. and had 92K miles on it. The rate of payback will be much quicker.

OG VX 05-05-2015 04:56 PM

This is a beautiful VX. Everything I read is true, in what is rare, and hard to come by, from my experience.

I hope they get 9K for it. But, will they?

I love that OP said it was more rare to find than a prestine NSX. I agree with this. Actually, I think it's a TON more rare than a well-maintained NSX. NSX owners take care of their cars, and their price point puts them beyond the reach of the "ricer".

The fact that this Civic remains virtually unscaved by the following makes it a near miracle: rice, neglect, rust, accident, sun/weather/elements

It truly is a star child. IMHO, worth $9K.

And who can blame them for wanting to turn a profit? At this point, it's near museum quality. I would try to sell it to Honda, if I were them.

OBD1Kenobi 05-05-2015 08:17 PM

Honda Civic VX | eBay
Hope this works, this should be the link to the Ebay ad for this car from 2 months ago.
Unless the new owner gold plated a bunch of the parts, I'd say it's still worth about $6002.00!

Cloudbase 05-12-2015 01:00 PM

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum. Please excuse any typos, I'm writing this on my phone. I'm the seller of the VX. It's pretty cool it found its way on here!

I've got a buyer flying in to pick it up this week.

It's amazing the amount of attention I've received from my ebay listing. It's evenly split between praise and hate.

My brother and I have 3 really low mileage VX's. My brother found it back on March. When I saw it I had to have it. The reason I decided to sell it is because I imported a '89 BMW 320 Touring from Italy.

I get the vibe that most people here value their VX's for the mpg's. I value it because I have a pathological hatred of new cars. I think they are bloated, heavy, disconnected, and festooned unessesary driver aids and safety features. I like the VX because it is the best iteration on the Honda EG hatch. It offers a light, tossable, visceral, connected, and honest driving experience. With a little bit of skill it can out maneuver much more competent cars (I teach performance driving for the BMW club of America and hold a NASA racing license). The fact that it gets amazing gas mileage, even with me behind the wheel, is just icing on the cake.

I tried to market to someone who appreciate it for all of the reasons VX's are amazing. A completely stock one like this is crazy hard to find. It wasn't a quick flip either. I tried to be completely tranparent in the ad about buying it on eBay on March in my ad. After shipping, extensive PDR, tint removal, service, and selling fees I'm not making much. I cared more about finding someone who would appreciate and enjoy it.

It's really cool to see so many VX fans on here. Thanks for letting me be a part of the community.