EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Sun Tax (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/sun-tax-29604.html)

redneck 07-29-2014 08:56 PM

Sun Tax

$4.65 today... Big $$$ tomorrow...???

"Sun Tax" To Punish Alternative Energy Users | Survival BackpackSurvival Backpack

:rolleyes:

>

user removed 07-29-2014 09:02 PM

I wonder if the utility charges it's wholesale suppliers to use the grid, other than paying them a wholesale price for their electricity.

I'd bet not.

regards
Mech

brucey 07-29-2014 09:28 PM

Well they already tax the ground, and in Maryland at least they tax the rain. I'm surprised they haven't tried this sooner, really.

Cobb 07-29-2014 09:46 PM

VA use to charge you 100 bucks for owning a hybrid and they tax the rain water run off by the sq ft of the property you own. :eek:

SoobieOut 07-29-2014 11:45 PM

The power company in Utah is Rocky Mountain power, which is owned by PacifiCorp, which is ultimately owned by Warren Buffett (Billionaire).

Unfortunately Utah is well known for it's corrupt good old boy network, just look at the last two Utah Attorney Generals who were charged with over 30 felonies!!!

I seriously doubt Utah will do the right thing here, since Utah is a corrupt, Big Oil state.

redpoint5 07-30-2014 01:13 AM

I see I have walked into a religious meeting here...

The "sun tax" wasn't a tax on the sun at all. In fact, it isn't even a tax.

The article clearly states that the fee "to help cover the grid’s fixed costs, those associated with transmission and distribution of electricity through a vast network of wires, transformers and substations.".

The utility asserts that the cost of maintaining the infrastructure with grid-intertied customers is greater than the cost of a non-producing customer. The utility has the duty to charge customers based on the actual fixed and variable costs associated with delivering power and maintaining infrastructure. This is perfectly reasonable.

However, I fail to see how net-metering could cost an extra $4.65/mo to maintain the infrastructure. I'd like to see a non-biased explanation of how grid-intertie costs so much more in fixed costs, with all benefits and detriments accounted for.

redpoint5 07-30-2014 01:14 AM

Double-post

backpacker3 07-30-2014 09:23 AM

Hopefully they don't get the idea to tax wind turbines.

That'll be the day, when the "air tax" comes into existence. Lol

user removed 07-30-2014 09:30 AM

How many taxes do you pay?

regards
Mech

jamesqf 07-30-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backpacker3 (Post 437688)
Hopefully they don't get the idea to tax wind turbines.

As pointed out above, it's not a tax, it's a service cost for maintaining the connection to the grid. If you think wind farms (and all other producers) don't already pay for their grid connections, that only demonstrates your ignorance.