EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Taking longer or saving money!! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/taking-longer-saving-money-19072.html)

regency 10-07-2011 01:03 PM

Taking longer or saving money!!

Ok so i tried another route yesterday evening to work and i think its pretty much the same mileage, it did take longer but it was a slower speed, heres the comparison i got...

Interstate driving takes me 8 mins @ 75
Backroad driving takes me 11 mins @ 60

The backroad does have a stop light and a stop sign in the mix, but i dont think there going to be a problem. I will check this evening what the difference in mileage is but it seems very close. This is roughly a 9 - 9.25 mile section of my drive. Im just kinda wondering how much it will bump my mpg driving the backroad instead of interstate.

Kodak 10-07-2011 01:17 PM

If you're really splitting hairs, is there something you like better about either route? Even after time and fuel, there are probably other considerations.

redpoint5 10-07-2011 02:02 PM

I doubt the fuel savings (if any) will be worth the 3 extra minutes.

Accelerating back up to 60MPH 1 or 2 extra times will chew up any savings you gain by going slower. Also, you could just go a little slower on the freeway.

Without having observed your actual conditions, I would suggest you avoid stopping at all costs.

gasstingy 10-07-2011 02:25 PM

Since the minimum speed on an Interstate highway is 40 mph, you could easily drive 55 and not be in trouble. Your mileage would certainly benefit. You might also be amazed that you are not the only person driving 55. Besides, driving 55 with no stops beats 60 with 1 guaranteed stop (the stop sign) even if the 2nd possible stop (the traffic light) doesn't force you to slow down or stop.

And please, I've heard the tired argument that the traffic is too fast, I'd get killed in the accident that going slower would cause. Not so. I taught my teen-aged daughter to drive through Atlanta, GA by driving the posted 50 MPH speed limit. You benefit from better economy and you rarely have to hit your brakes from being up close behind somebody. As for your nerves, try not to spend all your time looking in the mirror afraid of who is behind you and relax when the maniacs pass you doing 80.

regency 10-07-2011 04:16 PM

Thanks guys for the input

Daox 10-07-2011 04:42 PM

You didn't mention which of the two routes is a shorter distance. If one is shorter than the other, you can get lower mileage, but still use the same amount of gas to get where you're going.

redpoint5 10-07-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 264586)
You didn't mention which of the two routes is a shorter distance.

He did, it's right in the first sentence...

Quote:

Originally Posted by regency (Post 264557)
Ok so i tried another route yesterday evening to work and i think its pretty much the same mileage... I will check this evening what the difference in mileage is but it seems very close.

regency 10-07-2011 07:23 PM

Ok its 8.6 on interstate and 9.2 on backroad. Thats really from just getting off the interstate to the backroad

Arragonis 10-08-2011 04:37 AM

Why not try them both in terms of MPG if you have an MPG gauge and decide then what the potential savings in cash would be. Remember the more times you drive a route the better your mileage will be.

A difference of a few minutes seems fine to me, time for another track from your favourite CD before you arrive. ;)

When I want to arrive eveywhere in the shortest time I just get my helicopter out. :D

euromodder 10-08-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regency (Post 264601)
Ok its 8.6 on interstate and 9.2 on backroad. Thats really from just getting off the interstate to the backroad

That settles it : go 60 on the Interstate ;)
No stop signs or lights.
Shorter distance.
Generally less speed variation.
Slower speed = better economy.

What's 3 minutes ?
It's probably not even 3 minutes when going 60 on the interstate.