EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   A tale of 44 cents (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tale-44-cents-29208.html)

user removed 06-12-2014 07:30 AM

A tale of 44 cents

Yesterday the wife and I met for lunch at Hardee's. She is a serious coupon clipper and we had a coupon for a 1/3rd pound thickburger for $1.99, usually $4.39. I remeber when I could buy a burger, fries, and a drink at MacDonalds for 49 cents.

I order the thickburger, a small burger for her, senior soda and coffee. The bill came out to $7.66. The wife looks at the bill and goes back to the counter becasue they did not give us the coupon discount, which amounted to $2.40.

She got $2.40 back. I was surprized that she did not get the meals tax (10%) refunded, she told me it was not worth the trouble of trying to explain it to the staff. Of course they have to go through a ton of unnecessary crap to get the refund.

About a minute later another worker comes over to our table and asks if everything was OK with the transaction. By now I have finished MY burger.

Wrong question!

I tell the person that we were charged 89 cnets in tax on a less than $5 transaction. It's like I was talking to a redwood tree in the Sequoia National Forest.

"I only charged you 19 cents on the coupon burger"
No, you charged me 89 cents, see right here, 70 cents on the original transaction, which was incorrect, then another 19 cents on the corrected transaction, for a total of 89 cents, when it should have been 10% of the correct amount.
"I only charged you 19 cents on the coupon burger"

I guess repeating your mistake makes it not a mistake?

By now I was going to get my 44 cents back, just to get my "one up" on the wife.

I think the Hardee's Manager finally just gave up when she asked me how much did they still owe me. I told her it was 10% percent of the incorrect sale price of the burger,which was $4.39, os 44 cents.

She gives me 50 cents!

I gave her back 6 cents, she refused to accept it.

regards
Mech

redneck 06-12-2014 08:53 AM

You shouldn't be surprised. They are most likely products of the "No Child Left Behind Act".

Wait till you see what the "Common Core State Standards Initiative" is going to do.

The transformation is nearly complete...

>

Fat Charlie 06-12-2014 09:40 AM

When corporate engineers things to keep its employees from having to think, employees end up not being able to think. Not being able to think for their job is a part of their job. An important part.

ecoTex 06-12-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 429321)
When corporate engineers things to keep its employees from having to think, employees end up not being able to think. Not being able to think for their job is a part of their job. An important part.

You, my friend, have put into words, more profoundly the story of my battles than I ever have read. I swear to all of you I will print this in large font and hang it over my desk today. Proof to follow.

P-hack 06-12-2014 10:58 AM

many states/locales have sales tax on the coupon amount, the state doesn't care if you gave them a dollar or a coupon, go figure. I imagine there are tax benefits for the coupon provider in such a situation though (i.e. they can write them off).

XYZ 06-12-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 429321)

The bumper sticker on one of my cars says:

Critical Thinking
The Other National Deficit

I am convinced that both the Government (including both Left and Right political wings) and the Chamber of Commerce have a vested interest in maintaining a populace that is incapable of thinking and making responsible decisions.

Keep 'em dumb and make sure they just follow orders, unquestioningly. (Also make sure they keep consuming, and make sure they keep voting...)

ecoTex 06-12-2014 11:46 AM

And Common Core and the federal funding and control of higher education will insure it.

ecoTex 06-12-2014 11:58 AM

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps933613d0.jpg

Fat Charlie 06-12-2014 12:17 PM

Ouch! I typed so hard into teh interwebs that something popped out on the other side!

jamesqf 06-12-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-hack (Post 429342)
many states/locales have sales tax on the coupon amount, the state doesn't care if you gave them a dollar or a coupon, go figure.

Exactly. The store employee was in the right here: the burger was sold for $4.39, part of which was paid in cash, part with the coupon. It's no different than if you'd given them a check for $2.40 instead of cash.