EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   taurus trans problem (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/taurus-trans-problem-6474.html)

Memorytwo 12-19-2008 01:46 AM

taurus trans problem

odd trans problem, all of a sudden, my trans failed on me. no movement.
as if i was in neutral. i put it into R or D, it feels like N. there were no symptoms prior, it drove fine and smooth. no slipping etc.
it is a 99 taurus with the AX4N
i read in my axod-e book possible problems for no forward or reverse. it says the 3 possibilities:
1.low oil pressure
possible, havent checked, but it hasnt been too long ago since i replaced
the filter. could be a dead pump, i hope not.
2.low oil level
trans fluid is full
3.manual linkage broken,damaged, misaligned etc.
when i shift it into D or R, i feel the trans "jump" signifying it indeed is
working.

anyone have any input of other possibles?
thanks in advance
-Andrew

Funny 12-19-2008 06:45 AM

Does that thing have a torque converter? If the TC tossed it's cookies, there is a good chance the rest of the transmission would have issues too. You may have also broken bands on the inside. I hope the fix is inexpensive, something easy like a connector to the transmission or a fuse maybe? I a manual and haven't looked at an automatic in a while. Good luck.

Memorytwo 12-19-2008 09:34 AM

yea its got a TC
pretty much all automatics have torque converter.
if its just the pump, thats not too bad, hoping that the pump didnt grenade my oil lines.
i can "service" the pump in car and what not.
if its the TC, im screwed and pretty much have to get it rebuilt dont i?

Funny 12-19-2008 12:14 PM

Yeha, pretty much. There is not much I can do with automatics, I have never really worked on them. I hear that manuals are simpler to work on. Why not switch out a T56 manual or tranny from a Mustang into that thing? A taurus with a stick, that would be unusual :D.

Memorytwo 12-19-2008 12:18 PM

not as unusual as you might think.
at the Taurus club, there have been a few members that have successfully converted the ohv engine taurus's to manual.

although you cant use a mustang one, its a fwd car. the only transmissions i am aware that will bolt up with minor modifications (mounts) are the MTX-III in the v6 SHOs and the MTX something in the v6 ohv (vulcan) Tempo's.

i would love to do it, but thats time and money i do not have.
maybe sometime in the future.

wagonman76 12-19-2008 12:43 PM

Is it an electronically controlled transmission? If so, it may be a bad connection to the solenoids.

Ive had this happen in a couple different ways on my 92 Pontiac van. For awhile bad connections would keep it from going into OD or locking the TCC when the connections heated up. Then I had a bad ignition switch once, which the solenoid power runs through. Itd start and run, but put it in gear and it wouldnt move. The switch is actually going out again, I got a new one to put in this weekend probably.

Memorytwo 12-19-2008 02:56 PM

the transmission is electronic controlled.
My dad thinks it might be the electronic control solenoid.
gonna test it to make sure it is that, and check the oil pressure.

i dont think its a hard part problem because there was no slipping or whatever symptoms prior to dying.

Clev 12-19-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achang1 (Post 79397)
not as unusual as you might think.
at the Taurus club, there have been a few members that have successfully converted the ohv engine taurus's to manual.

although you cant use a mustang one, its a fwd car. the only transmissions i am aware that will bolt up with minor modifications (mounts) are the MTX-III in the v6 SHOs and the MTX something in the v6 ohv (vulcan) Tempo's.

i would love to do it, but thats time and money i do not have.
maybe sometime in the future.

Probably not if it's the torque converter. You probably can get a junkyard MT and new clutch for less than a rebuild. (The E4OD on my Ranger cost $2,400 to rebuild. Stupid me for not doing the conversion instead.)

Yaristock 12-20-2008 05:58 PM

Go to taurusclub.com and ask them. I used to be a member there before my 92's tranny blew (axod) There are alot of people on that forum that have literally been knee deep in these trannies. I personally have never heard of any problems with the ax4n do you have the duratech or the vulcan(pushrod)

Yaristock 12-20-2008 06:00 PM

In these vehicles the symptoms are never usually seen on an easy basis. You could only feel my tranny slip when you were WOT. otherwise it acted normal