EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   are there race style driving techniques for hypermiling? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/there-race-style-driving-techniques-hypermiling-4403.html)

spyghost 08-06-2008 10:39 PM

are there race style driving techniques for hypermiling?

hi,

there are those things such as heel and toe, left foot braking, cadence braking, threshold braking and many others in the racing world. does this have a place in hypermiling?

skyl4rk 08-06-2008 10:54 PM

never touch the brake pedal if you dare!

ATaylorRacing 08-06-2008 11:41 PM

Actually....if you watch NASCAR you see them doing EOC when they are short on fuel during caution laps.....at their last race a few cars ran out on the last few laps and at least three coasted across the finish line on the last lap!

azraelswrd 08-07-2008 12:06 AM

I thought NASCAR was trying to put a stop to that after Earnhardt Jr did it and won?

spyghost 08-07-2008 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing (Post 51597)
Actually....if you watch NASCAR you see them doing EOC when they are short on fuel during caution laps.....at their last race a few cars ran out on the last few laps and at least three coasted across the finish line on the last lap!

there are some vehicles that cannot eoc because of the following:
1 - vacuum is lost, thereby reducing braking force when repeatedly pumped
2 - power steering is lost because oil pump does not recirculate the fluid
3 - some steering columns lock when key is in acc

groar 08-07-2008 04:22 AM

I'm not an hypermiler, only an beginner ecodriver , and I never raced, so...

IMHO only the way to take curves (with the biggest turning radius) may apply because you can save momentum created by your gas burning. I commonly take roundabouts (France has so many of them...) at 40km/h (25 mph) if nobody is too close to me and I know this roundabout isn't too small for the speed (ie has a big enough radius, or has two lanes).

Denis.

roflwaffle 08-07-2008 04:50 AM

Draft.

ATaylorRacing 08-07-2008 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azraelswrd (Post 51602)
I thought NASCAR was trying to put a stop to that after Earnhardt Jr did it and won?

They did have a talking to about his method of coasting......he passed the pace car on a few occasions...that is a no no, but they have no specific rule against it....Jr did noy take a victory lap and his car died on the way off the track.

MazdaMatt 08-07-2008 09:08 AM

That's a smooth move on his part. Really smart racing. Good for him. I plan on getting into endurance racing in 2 summers. I will have to keep that in mind. There are places on a road course where you could reasonably drive without the engine on for a few seconds at a time without losing much ground. My ignition and starter are on dash switches, so it would be cake.

IndyIan 08-07-2008 10:27 AM

The only "racing" technique I use hypermiling is choosing the ideal line for a corner. Typically starting wide going tight into the apex and then wide out without getting on the brakes if possible. My rules are no tire squeal and no cutting into other lanes.
I also have a gravel road short cut on my commute with 3 nice 90 degree bends that I can see if anyone is coming. I may occaisionally do some left foot braking with the Neon so I can enter the corner briskly and then put the car a bit sideways if needed to hold my line. Sounds kind of dangerous but I can say I haven't even come close to losing control and it will be only my dumbass in the ditch if things go bad somehow. This mostly for fun though as being on the gas and brake at the same time probably negates my higher entry and exit speeds...

MazdaMatt,
I'm sure there are ways to use less gas while maintaining most of the speed while racing. Probably slow in and fast out, rolling on the throttle instead of mashing it and avoiding big drift angles while accelerating would cover most of it I'd think.