EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Theres never been a vehicle like this before!! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/theres-never-been-vehicle-like-before-6984.html)

Bullyveldt 02-03-2009 02:20 PM

Theres never been a vehicle like this before!!

14 green machines - Subcompact: Smart ForTwo (4) - CNNMoney.com

From the article "The Smart ForTwo just entered the U.S. market last year. It achieves its phenomenal fuel economy numbers by combing small size, very light weight - about 1,800 pounds - and a 3-cylinder, 1-liter engine."

Sounds familiar, Almost like a metro ?

I know they ddin't say that they were trying to break new ground, but amazing how with this newer vehicle which has similar atributes to the 1L metro cannot fit 4 people. The older vehicle was more practical. Maybe it was the new crash test standards.....

jamesqf 02-03-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullyveldt (Post 86321)
It achieves its phenomenal fuel economy numbers by combing small size, very light weight - about 1,800 pounds - and a 3-cylinder, 1-liter engine."

Phenomenal? My 2000 Insight, with close to the same weight and engine size, averages over 70 mpg.

Quote:

...this newer vehicle which has similar atributes to the 1L metro cannot fit 4 people.
But why would I want it to? If it could fit 4 people, that'd just mean you could knock off a couple hundred pounds by making a 2-seater out of it.

MetroMPG 02-03-2009 07:09 PM

I've seen more than a few media stories in the last year about "amazing" fuel economy from cars like the fortwo and the Honda Fit.

Makes me laugh.

NeilBlanchard 02-03-2009 10:19 PM

Hi,

And there is the Toyota/Scion iQ, which looks like it gets a fair bit better MPG than the ForTwo, and it seats 3 adults + 1 child, and meets modern crash tests.

Bullyveldt 02-04-2009 07:59 AM

I know there are better vehicles that get better mileage. I just was struck how the description fit a vehicle that has been in production for more then 20 years. I am pretty sure india still makes the metro, or at least a variant with the same underpinnings there.

Too bad the Fortwo the States got wasn't like the one first released in Canada with the 3 cylinder turbo diesel. There was a fellow where I worked when I was up in Alberta that got over 80 MPG highway and obtained about 60MPG in town. Much more impresive then the 40 the gas version gets. And bet the diesel's torque made it more drivable too..

groar 02-04-2009 04:46 PM

The only record the smart for two beat this year is the number of stolen cars.

Ooops, they were second, first place always for the twingo.

Denis.

blueflame 02-05-2009 05:45 AM

My old school Akai component sterio system cost me $50 and really really sounds good (and loud), 10" drivers.

It must be at least 15 years old.

What the hell has happened?

Did we get dumber?

Vwbeamer 02-05-2009 08:13 AM

The VW Tdi has a lot more room, more power and can achieve about the same MPG.

Nevyn 02-05-2009 08:49 AM

Also, the Metro doesn't need Premium Unleaded?

Bullyveldt 02-05-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevyn (Post 86526)
Also, the Metro doesn't need Premium Unleaded?

Thats a good point too. But a few metro/swift drivers do up their timing and use better fuel and get some better mileage.