Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cause I'm an 80's Baby!!

Festiva hauler - '02 Chevorlet S-10
90 day: 27.98 mpg (US)
2002 s10....wondering??

Has anyone has tried to find an opposite fan blades from another gm model vehichle that will fit the s-10 water pump? Reason being i want to delete my p/s to start....then possibly the alternator. If i do this i can make a tensioner of some sort to run the crank and water pump both in a clockwise fashion.

I have already deleted my a/c, and i am wanting to get rid of my alternator because i use this as a work vehicle only for the most part. 27 mile one way trip, all highway except for 4 miles. Occationally i will drive to stl or columbia in it, two batteries at 900 cca's each may get me there...

I figure i can get some deep cycle batteries for free from work and trickle charge when needed or invest some money in a solar recharging panel for the summer.

I have yet to do any aero mods. Need center caps for my alloys to mount pizza pans them how i want them, and still trying to decide if i want to do the dyi wood and black plastic sheeting bed cover...

Any thoughts? trying to break the 32mpg marker before gas hits 5 a gallon....

Last edited by festivaWES; 03-14-2011 at 06:40 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Versa - '12 Nissan Versa Hatchback S
90 day: 39.65 mpg (US)
if the water pump spins counter-clockwise, don't change it. It is designed to flow that direction, if you change it you will backflow the system and it won't work. If you want to do this, get a electric pump and get rid of all belts.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cause I'm an 80's Baby!!

I know this. i am wanting to know of anyone has bolted on a water pump fan in the opposite direction from stock, thus meaning if i delete the p/s and alt from the serpentine system making it possible to run them both at clockwise.

An electric inline is 240ish dollars and a blockoff plate would need be fabbed. Plus an amp draw from another 12 volt item....
Old 03-01-2011, 03:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I understand what you are asking, but I am not sure you understand what I am saying. The impeller inside the water pump, which is responsible for moving the water inside the engine, is designed to flow a specific direction. By the way you are asking your question I am assuming your water pump is spinning counter-clockwise, or opposite of the crank pulley. If you try an make the water pump spin the same as the crank pully you are now trying to flow the coolant in the engine in the opposite direction it was designed to do. This will cause the system to not effectively cool the engine. It may result in severe overheating.
If you are wanting to get rid of your power steering, I would get a spare pump and rip the guts out of it leaving only the center part with the shaft going out to the pulley. You would be able to spin the pulley with absolute minimal drag and still keep the belt rotating in the correct direction.

J
Old 03-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cause I'm an 80's Baby!!

Yes. That is what i am talking about. Different direction impeller....such as a cavalier or something. I know if i reverse the direction of the pulley it will pull collant in the opposite direction.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am not sure, you would have to look for a car that didn't use a serpentine belt like the S10 uses. If you can find one, like from a cavalier, that uses the ecotec motor, but didn't use a serpentine belt you should be in business. Sorry, I misunderstood you earlier, and good luck finding what you need.