EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Are these a drag, or what? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/these-drag-what-16524.html)

California98Civic 03-20-2011 03:37 PM

Are these a drag, or what?

1 Attachment(s)
I have four of these, one behind each wheel. Seems like a little cup to capture air. But is it helping airflow past the wheels somehow? Are these a drag, or what? :confused:

Joenavy85 03-20-2011 03:38 PM

put them on the front of the fender to deflect the air around the tires

Sularus 03-20-2011 09:39 PM

behind the tire=drag, in front of the tire=helps divert airflow around tire.

fidalgoman 03-20-2011 11:53 PM

I could be wrong but I think those are some kind of splash guard to save the paint behind the wheels from excessive wear and tear.

California98Civic 03-21-2011 12:04 AM

Thanks all. I took the two behind the front wheels off easily, but the rear ones will have to wait for the jack and better weather.

Sularus 03-21-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidalgoman (Post 226620)
I could be wrong but I think those are some kind of splash guard to save the paint behind the wheels from excessive wear and tear.

you are absolutely correct. If you drive through a ton of gravel or lose sand frequently. It is the standard automakers "one size fits all" approach. Removing them is on the 65+ mods to better efficiency. numerous people have seen improvements from doing so.

NachtRitter 03-21-2011 12:18 AM

Took mine off my Jetta and noticed an immediate benefit to FE... went from averaging ~58MPG on my daily commute to ~62MPG

(Note: This was not controlled A-B-A test, so other factors may have contributed to the difference in FE)

Piwoslaw 03-21-2011 06:19 AM

I remember reading in Popular Science (or Popular Mechanics) in the late 90's about the new VW Polo, and it said something like Cd=0.32 (0.34 with mudguards):eek:

fidalgoman 03-21-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NachtRitter (Post 226627)
Took mine off my Jetta and noticed an immediate benefit to FE... went from averaging ~58MPG on my daily commute to ~62MPG

(Note: This was not controlled A-B-A test, so other factors may have contributed to the difference in FE)

We are currently Diesel Jetta-less which is my intention to remedy. I do remember how sometimes I would simply forget to fill up since I could go over six hundred miles on a 12 gal. tank of fuel. :) Amazing car, fun to drive.

For those who worry about their paint, there are polyurethane coatings that will blend in with the color and protect the finish. Just apply them where the mud spray hits. Works like a dream.

Backtobasics 03-21-2011 03:57 PM

T-9020 is the part number from Trim-Brite for a clear film that can be applied. If I had a vehicle with paint worthy of concern, I would wrap the rockers,hood edge, and possibly the front end with this clear film, to protect.