EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   Thinking about a bike (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/thinking-about-bike-33000.html)

spacemanspif 10-27-2015 11:08 PM

Thinking about a bike

Just picked up a new job closer to home and once I start I'll have a 4 miles commute to work. With such a short ride I'm thinking about buying a motorcycle to serve daily duty in the warmer months and in good weather. I'm looking for cheap, really fuel efficient and able to survive a 2 mile stretch at highway speeds at 60-70 mph. I like the look of cruisers and old Hondas with the long, flat seat. Other companies have a similar look. What I need are ideas from you guys on what models and engines to look for in my searches. I'd like close to 100mpg with no mods and am guessing that anything 750cc and larger is out of the question, but are 600cc engines too big too? I'm guessing 250cc engines are going to be the best MPG machines but can they propel the bike at 70mph while still sipping fuel? I don't really know all the letters and numbers used to name different bike so if you could please recommend bikes to search craigslist for, I'd appreciate it becuase I don't know what Hondas, Yamaha or Suzukis are dirt bikes, sport bikes or cruising bikes.

On lunch break today I also found "Cleveland cyclewerks" bikes. All bikes are powered by a carb'd 250cc single cylinder OHV engine that supposedly delivers 80mpg and is capable of 70+ mph. Also looks like new ones sell for just over $3,000 and I really like the looks of the 2 soft tails they offer.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms?

Thanks,

jkv357 10-28-2015 08:55 AM

Those "custom" bikes like the Cleveland Cyclewerks type are usually off-shore cycles that are modified by the builder and rebadged. I would recommend staying away from them.

Look at some of the 250cc cycles from the major manufacturers. The most common is a Ninja 250, usually 1990-2007. They are reliable, cheap, and plentiful. There are a few 250 cruisers like the Honda Rebel and the Kawasaki Eliminator, but they aren't as common and some aren't as powerful as the Kawasakis.

Find something that you like on CL, then do some research on it.

If you haven't ridden before, take a MSF or similar basic riding course before you buy anything. A cycle is a lot of fun, but not really a money-saving tool for most people. In addition to the cost of the cycle, you will need a complete set of gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants) and insurance. Any used cycle will need new tires if they are more than 5 years old.

spacemanspif 10-28-2015 07:20 PM

Thanks for the tips, jkv. I already have a helmet for racing but would need all the other gear for sure and since its been a long time since I've ridden I would definitely take a class before updating my license to include the bike. I really don't want to get a Ninja but if I find one cheap enough I may consider it more seriously. My friend had a Rebel for a long while and had a good experience with it but I'd like something with older looks (this is obviously the "I want it" side of the equation and not the "just want super MPG" side lol). I'm sorting through CL but there are just so many quads and dirt bikes lol.

fearlessjoe 10-28-2015 07:51 PM

a 250 sports bike will do 85 ... 250 crusers in my experiance are slow..... might do 70..... but it will be absolute full wack...... yamaha did a vstar 400...... dunno if it was sold in the states though... my 650 vstar ill only do maybe 95.... unless you hit a hill.... then it wont but it will cruse at 65 all day and gets alright mpg

or honda shadow 600ish....

if you can live with the slowness the 250 will get better millage obviously....

Hersbird 10-29-2015 01:37 AM

My 75 Honda CB-550f has the look but at 60 mph and no windscreen and that cool flat seat it feels about like you are going to blow off the back. Probably why the front feels floaty at that speed as well. I have not ridden too many bikes so I don't know how much better or worse it could be. Around town or on a twisty road it's a blast. I'm thinking of switching to a similar year goldwing or newer ST1300 for better highway comfort but in reality I don't think I would ride enough to justify it. I work 4 miles from home all city mostly 35 mph speed limits. I haven't been riding much as I got too hot and now that it's cool I have a couple sticking floats... Again. 1975 looks cool but there is something to be said for modern conveniences.

PS, I personally like the Cleveland Cycleworks stuff. I also really wanted a 500cc Royal Enfield but couldn't find a good deal on one. The Suzuki TU250x looks good. As does the Yamaha SR400.

Daox 10-29-2015 09:23 AM

http://ecomodder.com/forum/emgarage-...cf07f4b3b2.jpg

My current bike is a 1981 Honda CM400. It is great fun and plenty peppy. It gets me around 60 mpg and my commute is 7 miles that is mainly 45 mph with some lights. Getting 100 mpg would be very difficult without a good amount of modification. So, IMO you really are going to need lots of mods and something smaller than a 400.

If I were looking to replace it with anything I'd really prefer to go electric. However, thats probably cost prohibitive (even diy isn't cheap). So, alternatively I'd probably go with something a bit smaller engine wise with fuel injections. IMO carbs are a big pain.

Frank Lee 10-29-2015 09:30 AM

Four miles. Any good off-interstate route? I'd bicycle it. Or use any old moped/scooter; that is the most likely way to get 100 mpg, although the top Vetter mileage contestants can also show the way. Also, as one who goes 50-55 even on 70 mph interstates, I couldn't care less about going 70. They can get used to it or pass.

spacemanspif 10-29-2015 12:23 PM

Thanks for the advice and models to keep a look out for, guys. Frank, there are non-interstate routs but they would more than double the commute rendering a peddle bike useless since I am not at all an exercise nut lol.

Grant-53 10-29-2015 01:01 PM

Jersey is fairly flat so a scooter or pedal bike is worth considering. At 60+ years I'm no athlete but I can pedal 10-12 mph without breaking a sweat.
As for scooters a 50cc Yamaha Zuma caught my eye and the Honda PCX 150 is popular. Yamaha V-star comes in 250cc for a cruiser. Honda and Kawasaki have upped their 250cc road bikes to 300cc. The Suzuki TU250 gets good reviews for mpg and comfort. What ever you choose get it from a good local dealer for service and parts. Then streamline it! You can improve comfort, fuel efficiency, and safety with a good shell.
There are websites from all the major companies with vehicle spec. Also there are review sites as well.

darcane 10-29-2015 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspif (Post 497927)
Thanks for the tips, jkv. I already have a helmet for racing but would need all the other gear for sure and since its been a long time since I've ridden I would definitely take a class before updating my license to include the bike. I really don't want to get a Ninja but if I find one cheap enough I may consider it more seriously. My friend had a Rebel for a long while and had a good experience with it but I'd like something with older looks (this is obviously the "I want it" side of the equation and not the "just want super MPG" side lol). I'm sorting through CL but there are just so many quads and dirt bikes lol.

With as short as your commute is, I think I'd focus more on comfort and features than outright economy. Many(most?) 600cc bikes should still be capable of 50+mpg when ridden economically.

I'm not sure what "older looks" means. Does this mean you want a cruiser (i.e. styled like a Harley)?

My recommendation would be to go to a motorcycle dealership that carries multiple brands. Look around at the various bikes and figure out which style you like best. Ask the salesman if you can sit on a few (be honest and let them know you don't plan to buy new) to get an idea of what you like best. Then go scope out CL to find that model of bike and maybe its competitors.

In the last ten years or so, bikes have finally started getting Fuel Injection. I never thought this was a big deal until I got my current bike, a Ninja 650R. The easy cold starts and elimination of carburetor icing has certainly been nice.

roosterk0031 10-29-2015 05:42 PM

With such a short commute a motorcycle isn't worth it. Your getting 36 mpg, most bikes get 45, but tire cost is higher, another vehicle to insure and register. It's not going to save any money.

But if you want a toy and ride to work once and a while KLR650, DR650, XR650L. KLR650 you'd go 5-6 weeks between filling the tank.

Frank Lee 10-29-2015 06:11 PM

As I noted, if a scooter works the high fe is attainable.

Most bikes of any "highway" size seem stuck at about 45mpg.

I'm getting 40 with a best of 50mpg with a Tracer. Not much incentive to bike in that regard.

P.S. Yeah I wouldn't rely on bicycling that distance daily, but I'd sure do it some of the time. It really isn't bad when you are used to it.

spacemanspif 10-29-2015 06:49 PM

I like this style of bike for reference: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...psxbiwbd4u.jpg

And this is the area in dealing with for my commute. The recommended path is the highway route I plan to take, as you can see there is a water body in the way and not many crossing options. http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...pswrcmkouv.png

user removed 10-29-2015 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Suzuki TU250X. I owned one and it will handle the short Interstate part of the commute unless you are over 6 feet and 225lbs. You can also adjust the exhaust valves without removing anything else but the access cover. The intake valve will require tank removal.

regards
mech

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...3&d=1446161306

roosterk0031 10-29-2015 08:06 PM

I've owned a 2000 KLR 650 good bike 45-50 mpg 20,000 miles later sold to get a 2001 FZ1 1000, 45 mpg, tires cost more than fuel per mile. 20,000 miles later sold and got a 93 zx600e, really liked that bike, sold it and bought it back even though 2nd gear didn't work. Traded it to a Ninja 250, hated it. Sold it got a 1999 Concours ZG1000 30,000 miles later sold it cause I wasn't riding it enough to justify keeping it.

My best/smartest/most researched choice was the first one with the KLR, though the first generation FZ1 was and still is a great bike as a toy, not money saver.

Should have stuck with the KLR and still have it parked in the garage for weekend rides. My garage now has lawnmowers.

Dual sports are great for weekend exploring as well as taking the long detour after work. One night when wife and kids were away I took a 200 mile detour on the KLR. But could still do a 400 mile day with minimal discomfort.

user removed 10-29-2015 08:57 PM

2009 Suzuki TU250X Gas Mileage (TU250X) - EcoModder.com

Here is my TU250 fuel log.

regards
mech

roosterk0031 10-29-2015 09:27 PM

Problem is he's using 1.11 gallons per week, even if he cut's that in half 26 weeks a year which won't happen he's not having to buy 14.43 gallons of gas. Even at $3 a gallon he'd save $43.29 per year. More realistic he'll ride to work closer to 1/4 of the time for a grand saving of $21.65.

If you want a toy, get a fun toy, forget MPG. Like Frank said most get around 45 mpg, only one I've put many miles that didn't follow that was my dads Gold wing that got 32.

Find a Vmax, Bandit 1200, first gen FZ1 or if you have gravel roads and off road areas anywhere close get a 250-400-650 dual sport.

spacemanspif 10-29-2015 09:28 PM

I'm ok with a dual sport but really like the looks of Old Mechanic's tu250. Only problem I see is that there are none in my area on CL lol. Cycle trader has 2013s for sale in the $4,000 dollar range, which is a bit more than I'm looking to spend. I'm more in the $1,500 range unless the future Mrs. Spif lets me open the wallet more after the wedding. Good thing is that I have a few months before warm weather sets in to save pennies and look for deals.

jkv357 10-29-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspif (Post 497998)
I like this style of bike for reference: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...psxbiwbd4u.jpg

That's a 70s Honda (CB550 I think), redone in a "Cafe Racer" style. It's usually something you build yourself from a unrestored bike purchased for cheap.

There's a lot to do to get it rideable and reliable, and unless you really feel like learning to wrench, I would pass on that for now (or as your only cycle). If you buy one on CL already done, I would be very careful. Plenty of these are built by people that have no idea what they are doing.

There are some newer models that have a similar look.

What is your budget?

roosterk0031 10-29-2015 09:52 PM

Kawaski W650, its going to blow your budget. But if you take your time maybe can find a good deal.

Hersbird 10-29-2015 10:51 PM

Yeah, that pick is a 550f like mine but with lower bars and a different saddle. Mine is mostly stock with a aftermarket muffler and the wrong pattern on the seat. I paid $800 but put another $800 or so in it.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...2&d=1426807576
I wanted to do something similar to mine but it is really low first year production with just over 3500 original miles.

Eddie25 10-30-2015 02:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
would agree with a duel sport bike. i would give anything to get back on a bike again. i had a 2003 bmw 650gs Dakar. Awesome bike it does everything! if you are brave enough to withstand the cold it will be fine on the winter roads too. some models came out with heated grips. It is also a bit more earo than klrs of similar years. remember these are single cylinders with plenty torque. so when it comes to modifying them you can go quite drastic with changing the sprocket sizes . getting a bike is not something to think about. its something you just do.

Attachment 18984

Attachment 18985

Frank Lee 10-30-2015 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkv357 (Post 498018)
That's a 70s Honda (CB550 I think), redone in a "Cafe Racer" style. It's usually something you build yourself from a unrestored bike purchased for cheap.

Thanks to this "Cafe" craze it's getting really hard to find a nice, non-hacked-up stocker. :mad:

If the modifiers were starting with beaters that'd be different.

spacemanspif 10-30-2015 07:54 AM

I can deal without the drag bars on the pic I posted but I saw the bike in a parking lot and snapped it for reference. I like it just the same as one with stock handle bars. Dealing with 4 carbs doesn't sound fun and don't think is something I want to dive into which is why the tu250 just went up so high on my list. I'm not a guy from the country so a dual sport's ability to trail ride doesn't really make it better for me; I didn't grow up on dirt bikes and I don't see myself getting into another hobby that I have no time for. However, if I come across a deal on one and know it will get crazy MPG I'm not against buying one, it will most likely never see dirt again while its in my possession. The toy aspect of this is a very real one but I want to get better MPG than a car, like Frank said "why get a 45MPG bike when you can drive a 40mpg Tempo". Plus, I've never owned a bike nor ridden one regularly in my life so I'd like to start off with a relatively small bike that is easy to ride.

Frank Lee 10-30-2015 08:42 AM

I have a '71 CB450 dual carb and a bike like that has all the power and speed you want!

It's identical to this google image except for color:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...pszqvzei8d.jpg

I'd imagine a CB350 or even smaller would be totally more than adequate.

spacemanspif 10-30-2015 09:21 AM

Perfect, Frank!!! That's the style I like, just need your guys help telling me the goofy letters all the OEM use to name their bike.

darcane 10-30-2015 02:13 PM

These bikes are known as UJMs or Universal Japanese Motorcycle. Also may called a "Standard". The street bike I learned to ride on was a Honda CX500 which is very similar to those CBs but with a V-twin. They were great bikes, but they are all getting rather dated for a reliable bike.

Suzuki had the GS which were also great bikes. Yamaha had the XS bikes.

Old Mech's TU250 is a modern version of one, and would likely be exactly what you want. Kawasaki W650 and Honda CB1100 are both modern UJMs too, but larger and more expensive.

A Royal Enfield may fit too. There aren't a lot out there, but they are still making them so you may find something that is fairly new that has the right look. Triumph Bonneville and Scrambler are also modern bikes with classic looks, but pricey.

roosterk0031 10-30-2015 02:48 PM

The Honda CB's were also called Nighthawks starting in 80's, I like the 83+ better as the engine is narrower, has hydraulic valves so no adjustment, and 550, 650 700 have shaft drive. I liked the 650 best, brother had 700S which was nice. They offered 250, 450, 550, 650 and 700S, later narrowed down to just 250 and 750. Honda Ascot was a 500 single and later V-twin. .

ecoboy 10-31-2015 09:31 AM

RE: Old 70s Honda mpg maxes out around 50 mpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspif (Post 497828)
Just picked up a new job closer to home and once I start I'll have a 4 miles commute to work. With such a short ride I'm thinking about buying a motorcycle to serve daily duty in the warmer months and in good weather. I'm looking for cheap, really fuel efficient and able to survive a 2 mile stretch at highway speeds at 60-70 mph. I like the look of cruisers and old Hondas with the long, flat seat. Other companies have a similar look. What I need are ideas from you guys on what models and engines to look for in my searches. I'd like close to 100mpg with no mods and am guessing that anything 750cc and larger is out of the question, but are 600cc engines too big too? I'm guessing 250cc engines are going to be the best MPG machines but can they propel the bike at 70mph while still sipping fuel? I don't really know all the letters and numbers used to name different bike so if you could please recommend bikes to search craigslist for, I'd appreciate it becuase I don't know what Hondas, Yamaha or Suzukis are dirt bikes, sport bikes or cruising bikes.

On lunch break today I also found "Cleveland cyclewerks" bikes. All bikes are powered by a carb'd 250cc single cylinder OHV engine that supposedly delivers 80mpg and is capable of 70+ mph. Also looks like new ones sell for just over $3,000 and I really like the looks of the 2 soft tails they offer.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms?

Thanks,

I am really into Old 70s hondas specifically cb750 and cb400f. For such a short commute you could get anything. Going smaller than 400cc may up your mpg, but it will top out around 50 to 60 mph ie.

For MPG you can't beat a newer bike like a ninja 250cc. For something with a soul go for the vintage honda.

It all depends on what you want. Old bikes also have a cranky attitude at times and require ongoing work. I love my cb750s and won't ride anything else. For most people I recommend buying a new bike.

user removed 10-31-2015 10:07 AM

Check the bikes in my garage. First bike I ever owned was a 900 Kawasaki Z1 in 1974.
Keep your eyes peeled for TU250x. I bought one a few years back for $2300 with 2.7k miles.

I have owned a 1971 CB350, purchased for $250 with 4718 miles. The early CBs are neat but you will be doing a lot more maintenance and repairs than on the newer bike.

The electronic ignition and fuel injection of the TU, single cylinder, nickasil coated cylinder walls all are light years ahead of a 40 year old design, while retaining the classic beauty of those standards from the 1970s and earlier. Hit the starter and go, forget choke feathering or forgetting to turn the choke off and fouling a plug.

As far as how fast a 250 will go, my 2006 Rebel would do close to 90 mph, or three stripes a second on the Interstate, easily 80 plus. The Tu was not quite that fast but at close to 80 the two miles on the Interstate will be a minute and 40 seconds on the leg of you commute. Over 80 in Virginia is reckless, 4 points and $500 fine, plus court costs.

If the standard is not your only consideration, consider the GZ250 Suzuki, or a Rebel. I bought an 06 Rebel with 1800 miles for $600, not running. Replaced the battery and cleaned the carbs, rode it 5k miles and sold it for $1400 even after dropping it and denting the tank.

regards
mech

JRMichler 10-31-2015 11:34 AM

At one time, I had a 1970-ish Honda CB350. Two cylinder, dual carbs, point ignition completely stock UJM. I did some gas mileage tests and got 103 MPG at a steady 30 MPH, and 67 MPG at 60 MPH. In both cases, DWL was the secret. That bike needed a VERY steady wrist on the throttle to get best mileage.

Power was more than adequate to accelerate to and keep up with traffic at 70 MPH. I averaged 60 MPG driving "normal" in a mixture of city and highway driving.

bradwoodbr 11-04-2015 06:48 PM

Wait and see if you like and keep your job before spending hard earned dollars.
Realistically, it would not be economic or safe to buy a motorbike for such a short commute. If you don't want to cycle, get the bus, walk or get a lift.
Getting a taxi to and from work would cost less than buying and maintaining a motorbike.
But .... if you must then get the most modern, cheapest, economical, easiest to resell one possible cause you don't sound like you know anything about motorbikes.

sendler 11-04-2015 06:54 PM

The new Honda motorcycles place the most emphasis on fuel economy. The PCX150 will get over 100 mpg but tops out at 65 mph. I got 93 mpgUS on my CBR250R when it was stock but most people get about 68 mpg. The long stroke CBR500R can get over 80 mpg but most people get 66. Same for the low revving CTX700 (half of a Honda Fit engine) if you want a cruiser seating position.

user removed 11-04-2015 07:12 PM

Yamaha Virag 250

Decent deal, just over your price point. Not a standard.

regards
mech

ctrlburn 11-04-2015 08:59 PM

I've got to put a plug in here for Electric. Something used...?

Yes it is expensive - but you just got a new job! I bought my 2013 Zero S after a promotion and really should have bought it sooner - though buying a 2013 in 2014 did have its discount.

A commuter (or errands) over 10 miles look at the Zero's that are 2013 or newer.
Even if you don't like take a few test drives anyway they are a hoot - and don't cost the dealer very much to show.

Below the electric motorcycles can easily cover 70+ MPH. There is a serious upswell in electric scooters and electric augmented bicycles which are targeting the MOPED velocities.

sendler 11-04-2015 10:02 PM

A DIY E bike would be really fun if you can get to work on side streets.
Grin News
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/index.php.

com3 11-04-2015 11:47 PM

I didn't read anything but the op...

That being said, I've been riding my whole life. I currently have an FJ09 street bike (cross plane crank 3 cylinder 847cc). It gets 49.7 mpg average, city and hwy combined..all while being a hooligan (who doesn't love seeing a touring bike with saddle bags doing wheelies, right?)

My gsxr 600 track bike gets about 35 minutes to a tank (4 gallons)...I guess that comes out to about 9-11mpg.

It's not exactly WHAT you ride...It's how you ride it. My gsxr spends 90% of it's life at wide open throttle.

If I cruise the fj09 gently, it'll easily get 60mpg.

com3 11-04-2015 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctrlburn (Post 498475)
I've got to put a plug in here for Electric. Something used...?

Yes it is expensive - but you just got a new job! I bought my 2013 Zero S after a promotion and really should have bought it sooner - though buying a 2013 in 2014 did have its discount.

A commuter (or errands) over 10 miles look at the Zero's that are 2013 or newer.
Even if you don't like take a few test drives anyway they are a hoot - and don't cost the dealer very much to show.

Below the electric motorcycles can easily cover 70+ MPH. There is a serious upswell in electric scooters and electric augmented bicycles which are targeting the MOPED velocities.

I shot the 2015 press launch for zero... They're pretty fun bikes! I've spent a lot of time on the brammo as well...I'm a huge fan of the empulse.

Regarding the zero tho, I left zero hq on the fx with 100% charge..I put 14.7 HARD tight, twisty miles on it (wheelies, backing it into corners, that kinda stuff ) and ended up with 37% battery life remaining.

spacemanspif 11-05-2015 12:13 AM

An electric bike would be top priority but I'm not sure if the new job will have a place to charge it. I can't charge it in my apartment complex lot eucase of no outside receptacles; extension cord out the window is not an option as my apartment does not face the parking lot and is up on the second level.

kurzer 11-05-2015 03:28 AM

https://www.spritmonitor.de/de/ueber...=2&powerunit=2

Honda Innova 125 or Suzuki Adress?