EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   The Time To Buy Gas is NOW (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/time-buy-gas-now-6418.html)

trebuchet03 12-14-2008 02:08 PM

The Time To Buy Gas is NOW

If anyone caught it in my off the cuff remarks and such... My refueling regime involves watching fuel prices and making predictions based on news and the anticipated number of miles I'll be driving in the short term.

Basically,
while anticipating fuel prices to stay or drop - partial fills
while anticipating fuel prices to go up OR a long trip to an area with higher fuel prices - fill up all the way

So yes, I'll be refueling 100% today. I will be traveling south 200 miles - where fuel is more expensive... But, today marked the first day in weeks that the average fuel prices for regular unleaded went up. A measly .003 cents, but significant.

Based on news from Iran, annual trends etc. etc. etc. I believe, this morning, we found our bottom for average fuel prices ($1.660).

We'll see tomorrow if it continues to rise.

I moved some funds to an investment account when the market crashed -- if gas prices continue to rise of the next day or so, I'm probably going to put a little money into oil....

jamesqf 12-14-2008 03:25 PM

If I factor in the value of my time, and the cost of driving to a gas station, the best time to buy gas is when I'm driving right by a cheap gas station, and the tank's almost empty :-)

tasdrouille 12-14-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 78378)
I moved some funds to an investment account when the market crashed -- if gas prices continue to rise of the next day or so, I'm probably going to put a little money into oil....

Don't forget to cash out next summer. I didn't...so I bought even more.

DifferentPointofView 12-15-2008 12:26 AM

well I just got some, so I'm good till next year :thumbup: :D

jamesqf 12-15-2008 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdrouille (Post 78404)
Don't forget to cash out next summer. I didn't...so I bought even more.

Hey, at least you didn't do like a lot of people: panic and sell when the market was at a low point. As I keep telling people, it's BUY low, SELL high, not the other way around :-)

Sean T. 12-15-2008 01:56 AM

Gas here went below 1.50 last week, but lately it's been as high as 1.75 :(

Christ 12-15-2008 07:53 AM

$1.529/gal in the area, $1.699 across the street from me.

MetroMPG 12-15-2008 11:59 AM

Drat! I filled up last month. Can I contact you in March to see if it\'s a good time for a refill? :P

I chuckled when I read this little bloggy bit about the forecast price of oil. Apparently investment bank Goldman Sachs predicted $200 oil not long before it all went south.

Now they\'re predicting $30. To which some wag responded:

Quote:

“If the call for $30 oil is as accurate as the call for $200 oil, investors may want to fill up their gas tanks and lock in their heating oil prices ASAP,” said Bespoke Investment Group. - Source
:D

wagonman76 12-15-2008 12:54 PM

It went up 13 cents from Friday to Sunday here.

DifferentPointofView 12-15-2008 10:10 PM

also remember that gas prices are going to go up regardless because of the holiday travel season. not incredibly high, but probably around 10-15 cents or so like during turkey-day. then factor in the price of oil.